Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Why me? new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5396782 - 08/31/12 01:50 PM

Lee,

I have learned this from experience: get something able to excel at what you want to, and you'll be happy.

This jack of all trades and master of none business is OK for a kid who needs to have a life lesson, but that's all it's good for. I've never been able to turn an underperforming mount into anything better than barely acceptable.

I suggest really looking at the iEQ 30- those folks appear to have their act together.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: neilson]
      #5396794 - 08/31/12 01:55 PM

Hi,
Astronomics just called me asking me if I still wanted my LX80 I back ordered last year. They don't have it yet but a number of people are cancelling their order they just wanted to take a poll.

I am still hoping someone has tried imaging with a Meade 8" or Celestron 9.25 in polar. I listed it a few posts above. But even if someone with any setup weighing 20-25lbs. preferably with a focal length around or over 1,000mm but even if not I would like to hear your imaging results.
neilson

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: Why me? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5396818 - 08/31/12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Lee,

I have learned this from experience: get something able to excel at what you want to, and you'll be happy.

This jack of all trades and master of none business is OK for a kid who needs to have a life lesson, but that's all it's good for. I've never been able to turn an underperforming mount into anything better than barely acceptable.

I suggest really looking at the iEQ 30- those folks appear to have their act together.

-Rich

Since I'm going to use it in alt-az mode probably 90+% of the time, how is that going to help me?

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Reged: 02/14/02

Loc: NJ USA
      #5396929 - 08/31/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Astronomics just called me asking me if I still wanted my LX80 I back ordered last year. They don't have it yet but a number of people are cancelling their order they just wanted to take a poll.

neilson

My February pre-order is with them so maybe the LX80 pre-order list will get to my name soon if more cancel.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5396933 - 08/31/12 03:40 PM

Since the niche the LX80 fits is what you are looking for don't worry about it. For a lot of people if the EQ guided AP role is less than expected they will be unhappy. I believe he was directing the comment towards that segment of consumers. The polar tracking with any substantial weight so far seems subpar, if that is not a concern of yours the mount may be a perfect fit.

Perhaps Meade could change the marketing until some of the problems are fixed. Take out the "PEC in Polar", lessen the weight capacity in polar, and perhaps put a little deemphasis on AP in polar. When the guide port is ready, maybe the rest will be fixed and they can promote the new improved LX85.

Edited by Stew57 (08/31/12 03:44 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: Joe Ogiba]
      #5396974 - 08/31/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi,

neilson

My February pre-order is with them so maybe the LX80 pre-order list will get to my name soon if more cancel.

I got a call today also on my pre-order from last November. I still want it! No word as to when they will have stock to ship.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5397139 - 08/31/12 06:30 PM

I've been using a CGEM and have discovered it is deep in slam-dunk territory for vis, but is rock steady with 30 lbs of AP130 EDFGT, finder, camera, extensions, and even with heat shields attached. It turned out the power supply for it was more tolerant of 106F than the Mach1's pyramid power supply. But it's really easy to use for visual and extremely stable.

I've been working on a side project to convert an old Nexstar 8 gps twin fork into a multi-OTA mount. The OTA is trivially easy to move without the forks attached, and ditto for moving the forks without the fragile bulky OTA. The way folks keep talking about this problem is starting to make me wonder if I should take it beyond just my own needs.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Lee,

-Rich

Since I'm going to use it in alt-az mode probably 90+% of the time, how is that going to help me?

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5397329 - 08/31/12 09:05 PM

Gday Mark

Quote:

Take out the "PEC in Polar",

To be fair, thats a handbox/firmware problem, not the mount itself.
I agree it needs to be fixed, but it needs to be fixed for ANY scope that uses an Audiostar Hbx.
One user is currently running a patch i knocked up to make PEC work, and it does appear to work OK, its just the gearing isnt in the PME/AP/TAK quality range but then you arent paying for that quality level either.
More info from other users would help here.

Quote:

lessen the weight capacity in polar,

Based on analysing Neilsons data and piccies, i suspect this may be required, and even more so as you get closer to the equator. I suspect the way the base is designed, there will be a bit of "springiness" in polar as the load goes up or as the RA axle deviates from vertical.

Quote:

When the guide port is ready,

Again, not really LX80 specific, as an existing APM909 or clone will work with the firmware as is, and this problem again holds for ALL audiostar scopes,
so LXD75s, LTs, LX90s, LX80s, ETXs.
Again, Meade should have the lump available, but there are ways around it currently ( if you absolutely MUST have an ST4 port). Its not required for many users, who will just pulseguide via serial commands.

Andrew

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5397927 - 09/01/12 11:15 AM

Hi Everyone,
On the LX80 yahoo group a member started a thread called LX80 mesh issue and slow damping. He has a youtube video showing the play in the RA from the spring loaded wormblock. In a previous post he stated several ota's he was going to use and one was a 9.25 like I'm getting ready to try. Hopefully with all my tweaking this ota will work on mine.
neilson

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5398267 - 09/01/12 02:49 PM

Or at least you'll have a decent OTA for use later.

-Rich

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5398518 - 09/01/12 06:31 PM

I'm confident its going to work on my mount. If it didn't work, I would decide to either make modifications or get rid of it. But I don't see that happening. I haven't done extensive testing with my 23lb refractor but what I have done was successful. The success of my earlier tweaking was limited to 30lbs visual in polar. To me that's a failure because the purpose of polar is to do AP. But in increasing visual to 30lbs I am hoping AP will work at 20lbs. The weather is bad here so I can't test my refractor. I don't know what kind of success an LX80 out of the box will have doing AP in polar with a 20lb. 9.25 ota though. It depends on how it was adjusted by Meade. My first mount was very loose but the second one came adjusted much tighter. I was hoping someone would of tested an ota around 20lbs. by now doing AP in polar.
neilson

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5400494 - 09/03/12 01:53 AM

Ok you wanted long exposure I have 5min and 8min run each are single frame To give you some set up info I have 72mm Astro-Tech as main AP scope its 430mmfl and Canon 3ti Camera the guide scope is a ETX 70mm with DSI pro I as guide camera I was using PHD software to guide setting on PHD RA aggressiveness 75 RA hysteresis 0 Max RA duration 900 search region 20 min motion .25 Calibration steps 2000 time lapse 10 Dec Guide mode Auto Dec Algorithm lowpass f dec slope weight 5.00 Dec duration 1000 star mass tolerance .50 noise reduction none dither scale 1.00 and guide camera was using 1.0 sec frames main Camera Canon 3ti ISO 100 Manuel settings on bulb using a remote 15sec delay in shutter 3 sec delay between Frames I took 2min 5min and 8min sky Full moon no wind

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5400505 - 09/03/12 02:08 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

Here is M27 while full frame looks Ok when you look at the actual pixel you can see the stars are elongated this is a Guided shot

TALK2KEV
sage

#5400506 - 09/03/12 02:09 AM Attachment (39 downloads)

M27 crop

TALK2KEV
sage

#5400507 - 09/03/12 02:12 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

Actual Pixel you can see the error, this is all the same frame 8 min long

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5400514 - 09/03/12 02:41 AM

Thanks for showing this, it does not look too good of course. But it is good to see an actual guided image of more than a minute or two.
Blueman
Quote:

Actual Pixel you can see the error, this is all the same frame 8 min long

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5400558 - 09/03/12 03:44 AM

Thanks Kevin for your guiding attempt; first results don't bode well for LX80. Keep us posted if you are able to do more of such tests.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Why me? [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5400658 - 09/03/12 07:10 AM

Gday Kevin

Was this with PEC ON or Off???
Looking at your prev data runs, there are regions in your
geartrain where the PEC model "as recorded" showed approx
40 arcsec of PE over 5 bins ( ie about 20sec ),
which isnt easy to "reactively" guide out.
Also, just wondering if one or more of those random spikes
has occurred during the process???

Andrew

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
RE: LX80 Tracking [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5400699 - 09/03/12 08:21 AM

It looks like it's oscillating in dec. Guiding in one direction only may be a significant improvement.

Edited by jgraham (09/03/12 08:23 AM)

MikeML
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: NJ
Re: RE: LX80 Tracking [Re: jgraham]
      #5400749 - 09/03/12 09:34 AM

Quote:

It looks like it's oscillating in dec. Guiding in one direction only may be a significant improvement.

From the picture it looks as if East is up, The error is in RA

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67174

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics