Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5413935 - 09/10/12 07:03 PM

Hi everyone,
If your using a light weight ota and don't plan on imaging its a great mount. But If you chance it don't expect to do any AP until they fix it. There can be plenty of happy customers but they are using light ota's and aren't imaging. Or they think their star trails are their own fault.
If your planning on imaging you should include that in the question.
If your not going to image or use a large ota then you should have no problems. Besides if your mount doesn't work right you shouldn't have to pay return shipping.

Edited by neilson (09/10/12 08:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: ur7x]
      #5413966 - 09/10/12 07:25 PM

Quote:

You need to define for yourself "some risk"

There are lots of proven mounts at or near the same price as the LX80 that have near zero risk. This mount does not look to be any better than the mount that you already have. You have also stated that you are not all that keen on constantly rebuilding and tweaking a brand new mount.

I think you are about to take on "considerable risk" and an on going maintenance project.

To quote what another told me about 6 months ago,
"This clearly isn't the mount for you."

We can all wish that this mount came through on all of Meade's marketing claims, it is now clear that it does not.

While you take a Consumers Reports like satisfaction poll, make sure you include the size and weight of the OTA that people are happy (or unhappy) with and make sure that the OTA that you plan to use with this mount is smaller/lighter than any of the ones that the "happy" crowd is using.

For me "some risk" is time trying what I want the mount to do and being willing to spend the money to ship the mount back for a refund. What I'm afraid of is the possibility that there are happy users out there that are not vocal or present on the forums. If that is the case, I'd like them to pipe up!

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5414055 - 09/10/12 08:38 PM

I think that one must ask this question. IF it works OK for lighter weight now, will it continue to do that for a long time. OR will the mount just get worse as time goes on until it does not work well at all.
IF this is the case the mount will be worth nothing and no one will want to own it. So resale will be nothing really.
At this time I would not think that you could get much for one now due to what has happened.
This too me is a big risk.
Blueman

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: blueman]
      #5414152 - 09/10/12 09:29 PM

It doesn't work for AP no matter how small ota you use. I think if he has one on back order he should keep that status and worry about it later when his number comes up. Call your vendor and tell him to call you before they ship it to verify if you still want it. Chances are it will be months down the road and Meade might have fixed the problems in AP by then. If not you can cancel at that time.
If He's just looking for 10 people who are satisfied using it for visual with smaller otas or who solar image then I don't understand. We didn't send our LX80 mounts back because we didn't like it. We went through all this trouble trying to fix it because we did like it. alot. We really wanted it to work. Heck I even bought a lighter ota thinking it would work with it.
Its a matter of imaging. If you want to image then wait until Meade fixes it. If you don't care about imaging and your ota isn't to heavy then buy it. You will love it.
But be prepared just in case you get a bad one. Then you will have to ship it back for repairs. But you don't have to pay shipping.
neilson

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: Why me? new [Re: neilson]
      #5414211 - 09/10/12 09:52 PM

The question is, is Meade planning to do anything about this, or are they satisfied with the mount the way it is now?

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Why me? new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5415716 - 09/11/12 04:56 PM

Mine is going back tomorrow to OPT. Also I have an extra tripod still new in box, and extra 11 pound counter weight and an extra counter weight shaft that'll go up on the classifieds.

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Why me? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5416769 - 09/12/12 07:27 AM

I returned my LX80 to Meade they are replacing the mount due to bad Latitude lock I asked about Envisage software they said they are working on Firmware update for Envisage software to support LX80 mount. So this is a 180 deg turn around from the last conversation with Meade. I was told soon as the mount passed Q&A it would be sent out I should have the new mount next week. I ordered My Lx80 a year ago to replace my aging Lxd55 mount to be a new AP platform. Not sure that the LX80 will ever live up to that with out a major change in design. I will keep you posted when the new mount get here and post some more images Good or Bad.

Edited by TALK2KEV (09/12/12 07:30 AM)

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5417092 - 09/12/12 11:27 AM

That is nice to hear, seems Meade is going to work on things to make the LX80 a better product than it currently is. I suspect that even they didn't plan for all the problems the LX80 and LX800 have encounted during their launches. Celestron, IOptron, even Explore Scientific (rumored Go To Mount) have a huge opportunity to grab some market share if they were to come out with some new inovative products that work out of the gate.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Why me? new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5417933 - 09/12/12 07:27 PM

Here is another video of the gears. Be prepared for incoherent rambling. I was able to adjust the worms pitch a little and now it sounds like it should as opposed to the previous videos. This video is an up close shot of that first gear and how much play there is in it. I wish there was a way to move this in other than bubble gum and bailing wire.
Remember to select HD.

http://youtu.be/bN81MY4gLoA

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5419596 - 09/13/12 05:22 PM

How did you adjust it? was the bolts loose or gears , In your first video it looked like the motor was to far away from the first gear. I hope your sky test goes well.

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Reged: 02/14/02

Loc: NJ USA
      #5419800 - 09/13/12 07:21 PM

Well I finally cancelled my 7 month old pre-order and will just stick with my CG5 and Tele-Optic Giro-2 Deluxe alt-az mount for now.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: Joe Ogiba]
      #5423126 - 09/15/12 11:49 PM

Hi everyone, My LX80 is gone back and my New CGEM DX came along with clouds and rain. But last night it cleared up momentarily. I quickly set it up and did a quick alignment. This mount is so huge I had to use a small two step ladder to look through the viewfinder to find polaris. I selected m13 and the mount quietly slewed my 9.25 HD Edge like it was nothing.It actually put the star cluster exactly in the center of my Axiom LX 24mm 2" eyepiece. Not off center like all my other mounts but right in the middle. The clouds were coming back but I had to take one image. So I slewed to Arcturus to focus my Canon T1i. I took a 30sec image and it was perfect. so I slewed back to M13 but the clouds covered the skies. I tried one image but it looks like a cloud with faint spots in the background. Even though I just had a moment of clear skies. It was so nice that I could put my mount up and first time it slewed so perfect and my first image came out great. no guiding, No star trails. No tweaking.
neilson

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5423131 - 09/15/12 11:56 PM

Neilson,

Except for the step ladder that's great. Hope you can share some pics.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5423193 - 09/16/12 01:31 AM

Neilson,

All's well that ends well, eh?

-Rich

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5423208 - 09/16/12 01:49 AM

That's Great Neilson I'm thinking about the DX as well the tripod looks like a beast Post some pics of the new set up plz.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5423221 - 09/16/12 02:23 AM

Neilson
any trouble balancing?

neilson
professor emeritus

#5423329 - 09/16/12 07:23 AM

Hi Kevin,
I have seen that mentioned before but I have no problem balancing it. The only problem I have is griping the knobs to tighten down the ota. I almost lost it because I thought it was tight. They are rounded and slick.
In the video on the Celestron website for the DX they mention the 4 differences in the CGEM and the CGEM DX. The huge tripod,weight bar, beefed up motor driver chip, and the longer lock levers in order to clamp down heavier loads. The video shows him grabbing a dovetail lock knob part number #CGE2-BO3-14. The customer support guy refused to send them so I referred him to the video. He watched it twice and admitted thats the knob but told me that he would have to call me back. He called back hours later and said that they would not send them. I asked for a manager.
a manager named Mark Titleman also refused to send them. He even removed the video from their website. I mentioned that I just spent around $4 grand on the 9.25 Edge OTA and CGEM DX and why are they going to such great lengths just so they don't have to send a couple of knobs that cost them around $1.00 each. He said the video was a mistake and the knobs only come on the Pro and would not send them. I asked his name and told him that I was returning everything and sending a letter to the CEO explaining why. He said your really going to do that just because of a couple knobs. I said yes, you advertised them and refuse to give them so I am returning everything. He said scared, oh I understand you want those knobs, please hold. When he came back he made up more excuses about how he can't give them because they are only offered on the pro even though their video said and showed different. He was a complete jerk and could care less about the money I spent and felt that since they removed the video ad that was good enough. Celestron sells those knobs on their site under spare parts for the pro. they want $15.00 a piece, thats $30.00 for 2 knobs that cost them a dollar to make in China. And he was willing to loose 4 grand because he wanted to make that 30 bucks. He knew I wouldnt send it back. But there is no way I will give them $30.00 for a couple of plastic knobs. and no I dont want some round knobs from ADM. That guy was a jerk to me over the dovetail I just bought that had a hundred scratches on it.
After 2 bad experiences with Celestrons customer service in the past week. they are no better than Meade. That mark Titleman has no business working in management in customer service. At least Carlos from Meade was trying everything including replacing my mount and giving me instructions on adjustments to try.If it were Carlos, I'm sure he would of sent the knobs without a problem.
neilson

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5423592 - 09/16/12 11:30 AM

Neilson,

I can see why you're annoyed.

The truth is they don't have the knobs. They'd have to take them from another mount.

I remember before Synta took over them just shipping me a nose piece for a binoviewer without hesitation- because they could just walk over to the bin and get one.

Now spares are based on parts with failure rates- no failure rate= no spares stocked in Torrance. Yay for the outsourced universe, leveraged with just in time production, and made cost effective excess inventory elimination. It's a gift set from the Harvard School of Management.

ADM has better ones, anyway.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (09/16/12 11:32 AM)

neilson
professor emeritus

#5423662 - 09/16/12 12:19 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Hi Kevin, Here are some pics of the monster CGEM DX mount. And those tripod legs are stainless steel. The mount makes my 9.25 HD Edge ota look small. I'm using a schumacher xp2260 6 in 1 jump starter because it has a 120volt inverter if needed and a 22 amp hour battery and a digital readout of how many volts left. and it tells you the percent its charged.

Rich, They sell the knobs online on Celestrons' spare parts page for $15.00 each.

Edited by neilson (09/16/12 12:26 PM)

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5423685 - 09/16/12 12:30 PM

I am curious if there is a possibility of creating longer sections to the lower leg supports that would allow them to have a wider stance and therefore lower the mount down. I also wonder if there is a way to cut off an inch or two from the stainless tubes to further lower it. The height is one of the things I never liked about the CGE-PRO and now the DX version of the CGEM.

Quote:

Hi Kevin, Here are some pics of the monster CGEM DX mount. And those tripod legs are stainless steel. The mount makes my 9.25 HD Edge ota look small. I'm using a schumacher xp2260 6 in 1 jump starter because it has a 120volt inverter if needed and a 22 amp hour battery and a digital readout of how many volts left. and it tells you the percent its charged.

Rich, They sell the knobs online on Celestrons' spare parts page for $15.00 each.

Pages: << 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | >> (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68010

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics