Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5327709 - 07/21/12 12:45 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Well, the testing is done. And....
Everything is working as it should !! This adventure is over.
Here are the first 5 (of 9) as a total report...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5327714 - 07/21/12 12:47 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

And the last 4 (of 9).

Tmohr36

Reged: 09/27/10

Loc: Nevada
      #5327717 - 07/21/12 12:49 AM

Quote:

PS The fact Toms scope always worked still really confuses me.
Wont it be funny if his scope stops working now

Now you "gone and done it"! I'm sitting here at work feverishly thinking about the same thing....and what if I return to A3S1 and it doesn't work then either.... On another forum I've seen posted "if an update doesn't contain useful changes, don't update!" hmmmm, what to do....In the end, you know I'm going to update...I'll report here in the morning if there are changes that (sorry Andrew) "stuffed" my mount's operation.

@Dick, thanks for posting in the LX80 group with that link. I hope that fixes Jack's problem getting the update.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

#5327725 - 07/21/12 12:56 AM

If you want to use your LX80 in Polar mode, you need to upgrade the AudioStar to rom version A3S2. The "how to" has been covered before. Don't forget the software and hardware requirements.

Some have been concerned about having to purchase the Meade cable and/or USB to serial adapter. For what it is worth, this is the same cable (and adapter) you will need if you want to control your mount from a computer. And in todays astronomy, i think most users will want that capability.

This is really a good mount. Especially now that the firmware is fixed. As a result of this adventure, i have had the opportunity to use it in all 3 modes. Single OTA in Alt/AZ, Dual OTA in Alt/AZ, and Single OTA in Polar. I have found it to be very easy to work with, including configuration, balancing, and ultimately, using the mount.

If you have ordered one, but not received it yet, you will be pleased when it comes. If you have been considering it, well, it seems to be everything advertised.

I think Meade has a real winner with the LX80. I sure am glad i have one!

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5327738 - 07/21/12 01:22 AM

Andrew,
Back on page 7 post 5321613 In the second sentence I was concerned about why the star kept moving when I was trying to align. I would center a star then it would move so I had to re center it and click on it real fast. That is explained now, the scope was in terrestrial and wasn't moving but the star was. That's a great relief it shouldn't do that any more. When aligning my LX200 I usually check my collimation with one of these stars during alignment and now I will be able to do that on the LX80. It helps if the star isn't moving.
Also do you think this fix might help the PEC. I was really planning on using it. I didn't know it was broke until you mentioned it the other day.
Well I think you guys had a lot to do with the Meade fix. Because of all the detailed information provided here it should of given them a much better idea of what to look for. And Meade deserves thanks for taking care of this problem so quickly, They have their hands full with the LX800 recall and could of made us wait, but they didn't.
Neilson

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: neilson]
      #5327793 - 07/21/12 03:14 AM

Gday Neilson
Quote:

Back on page 7 post 5321613 In the second sentence I was concerned about why the star kept moving when I was trying to align. I would center a star then it would move so I had to re center it and click on it real fast. That is explained now, the scope was in terrestrial and wasn't moving but the star was.

I dont think so.
When you do an align, the scope does a lot of initialisation of datums, then puts you into astro mode and starts tracking.
When it stops on the align star, it reverts to std tracking until you hit enter.
ie the star should hold steady in the EP.
The bug under discussion meant the scope was probably only tracking at half the rate it should have, hence you would see massive drift through the EP.
It should be OK now.

Quote:

Also do you think this fix might help the PEC.

This tracking fix specifically??? Nope.
The PEC bug is a totally different problem.
I havent looked to see if its been fixed or not yet,
more in about 12hours after i finish disassembling the new romfile.
Unlike the tracking bug, we do know exactly whats wrong with PEC and how to fix it if required. ( I am hoping Meade would fix it so we dont need to patch it )

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: Tmohr36]
      #5327797 - 07/21/12 03:23 AM

Gday Tom

Quote:

"if an update doesn't contain useful changes, don't update!" hmmmm, what to do....

Trust the force

I do lots of upgrades/downgrades etc
In this case, i suspect its worthwhile.

Andrew

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
      #5327902 - 07/21/12 08:36 AM

A lot of folks who have been enjoying chanting "Down with Meade!!" are going to be quite disappointed.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5328059 - 07/21/12 10:59 AM

Wrong. I (I'm sure at least one of those your are referring to) don't feel that this getting corrected is a bad thing. I do however, believe it only been corrected do to the efforts of those here. If you recall, Meade said they weren't aware of the issue. In no small part because of the Lousy testing. So while I'm overjoyed for the owners of these mounts, I still DO NOT see this as a Meade is awesome moment. Lest we forget the "other" thread and the "Thanks Meade your so great for being nice to me on the phone when I called because my new mount doesn't work" comment. Them fixing their screw up is NOT something to be overjoyed about. Just pleased we have folks able to enjoy the money they've spent.

Joe

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: jmiele]
      #5328063 - 07/21/12 11:02 AM

BTW, when you buy your next car and it doesn't work for two months and sits in the driveway and the dealership doesn't give you a loaner or take it back.....tell me you'd be Okay with that. An LX800 is as much as some vehicles and should work out of the gate. While the LX80 is less the point is the same.

Joe

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: jmiele]
      #5328154 - 07/21/12 12:04 PM

Ok, now that it runs, is there any hope of a PE measurement?

-Rich

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5328199 - 07/21/12 12:31 PM

I don't see how, it seems that if you have one of these "broken" mounts you have to spend another $20 to buy a cable to make it work... Meade needs to recognize this problem and fix it at no cost.

As a self proclaimed cheap-scape you have to see the irony on having to spend another $20 to fix a brand new (still under warranty) mount, that was, without question, a manufacture defect. No, the proud moment will be when Meade makes these mounts right at no (additional) cost to the customer.

And they haven't fixed the PEC bug (yet).

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: ur7x]
      #5328213 - 07/21/12 12:38 PM

Touché ....

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: ur7x]
      #5328235 - 07/21/12 12:48 PM

Oh GOOD GRIEF !!!!!
Chill out people. This is a happy time. It is a time to celebrate.
The LX80 is working, and working well !!

Joe…. Please don’t ruin this thread with your ranting. People are tired of it. I know I am tired of it. If you don’t like Meade, then go sit on a Celestron forum, or wherever you are happy at. Please don’t make this another LX800 thread. Do you get the hint yet ??? NO MORE !!! (Please…)

Ur7x… Relax about the cable. You will want one anyway. It is the path to computer control of your mount. I do agree that it should be included in the basic mount package though…. That is what is known as “room for improvement”.

Rich… Lets work on that. PE is a Polar function, and there is some curiousity there. Andrew is even asking. But he gets to look at the code. Maybe this is a new thread….. “LX80 and PE testing”. I have the setup for it, and maybe even some clear skies to work with. And yes…. I have Pempro (V2). Andrew says he knows how to fix it…… maybe that is the next “patch” that could lead to a Meade fix for all the mounts with the problem.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

#5328246 - 07/21/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Oh GOOD GRIEF !!!!!
Chill out people. This is a happy time. It is a time to celebrate.
The LX80 is working, and working well !!

Joe…. Please don’t ruin this thread with your ranting. People are tired of it. I know I am tired of it. If you don’t like Meade, then go sit on a Celestron forum, or wherever you are happy at. Please don’t make this another LX800 thread. Do you get the hint yet ??? NO MORE !!! (Please…)

Ur7x… Relax about the cable. You will want one anyway. It is the path to computer control of your mount. I do agree that it should be included in the basic mount package though…. That is what is known as “room for improvement”.

Rich… Lets work on that. PE is a Polar function, and there is some curiousity there. Andrew is even asking. But he gets to look at the code. Maybe this is a new thread….. “LX80 and PE testing”. I have the setup for it, and maybe even some clear skies to work with. And yes…. I have Pempro (V2). Andrew says he knows how to fix it…… maybe that is the next “patch” that could lead to a Meade fix for all the mounts with the problem.

That's curious because I receive many PM's all thanking me for fighting the good fight. I'm sorry you feel that way, however, it's not going to deter me. "We all". ? There's no need to good emo on us. You'll just end up getting the thread locked. I understand your frustration getting a non working mount and all. So I'll assume that's the reason for your outburst.

Joe

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: autostaretx]
      #5328282 - 07/21/12 01:17 PM

I posted to YouTube a few days ago 2 short videos showing that the LX80 while in EQ mode did not track with the version of the firmware that it was delivered with. This morning I upgraded to the latest version and ran another test to see if in fact the tracking error had been resolved. I faked a one star alignment in my living room, and then I had the LX80 go to Jupiter. I monitored the position of Jupiter realative to the target circle that appeared on Sky Safari. Here is a link to the video I posted showing that the mount now tracks in EQ mode:

http://youtu.be/gvuCwRdmw1c

Jack

Tmohr36

#5328291 - 07/21/12 01:24 PM

Quote:

Gday Tom

Quote:

"if an update doesn't contain useful changes, don't update!" hmmmm, what to do....

Trust the force

I do lots of upgrades/downgrades etc
In this case, i suspect its worthwhile.

Andrew

Hello Everyone,

Good to hear that your mounts are working now that this update has been released. Of course I didn't really think about NOT upgrading. I will say that update process is time consuming and since I still have another 12hr shift today, I'll keep this brief. Suffice it to say, My working mount is STILL working after the update!!! Actually, watching Betelgeuse this morning (10:00 PDT)

RA 05:55.1
DEC +07*23'

No change in RA at all over the past 20 minutes. I have just switched to Alphard with Neg DEC to see if that's OK still too.
Alphard
RA 9:27.5
Dec -08*38'

Will post later on that outcome, but SO FAR SO GOOD!

To those wondering what lot and manufacture date my mount is, I still have no clue. I thought maybe the tripod box would lend a hand there, but nothing discerning on the box, sorry.

Do any of you know if the mount serial number is stenciled on the unit itself somewhere?

cheers and clear skies,

yweln

Reged: 08/05/11

#5328302 - 07/21/12 01:34 PM

Quote:

Joe…. Please don’t ruin this thread with your ranting. People are tired of it.

Amen.

And now I'm going out to continue playing with my working-very-well-with-the-new-firmware-thank-you LX80.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: yweln]
      #5328374 - 07/21/12 02:36 PM

Ok, kids...let's stop the sniping. It isn't becoming and will do nothing to help the thread along.

David

Tmohr36

Re: LX80 RA tracking new [Re: Tmohr36]
      #5328422 - 07/21/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

I have just switched to Alphard with Neg DEC to see if that's OK still too.
Alphard
Dec -08*38'

Happy to report that even after 45 minutes of tracking Alphard no change in RA or DEC. Prior to the update the mount would have slowly decreased in RA. I'm satisfied.
DEC -08*38'

Now to the PEC request. A little guidance is needed as I have yet to find a guiding solution that works with this mount (maybe the update has corrected that? Andrew, maybe you have something that works? For a fee is ok too.). I'll have to see over my "weekend".

Suggestions??

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68175

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics