Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | (show all)
TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5439298 - 09/25/12 08:40 AM

Mike

Using PHD drift adjust Latitude

We are going to do the same thing on making adjustment to Latitude ONLY

Pick a star about 20 degrees off the horizon and at 0 deg Dec. you will need to calibrate PHD if it don't do this automatically click on the brain in that box at the bottom is a box you can check to force calibration. Any time you make a big move you need to calibrate.

the steps are the same in fact we still are watch the red line only or DEC Make sure the DEC is turned (off) and you change RA/Dec to dx/dy, scale to 100 works the best for me.

At first it will take some time and I have tried to do a down dirty polar with one star one time then went to drift but it seems there are no short cuts. What I save time on one end I use more time on the other. So have fun with let me know if you need any help with PHD or anything else.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TALK2KEV
sage

#5439337 - 09/25/12 09:05 AM

Mike
One more thing that will help out I noticed you set up in grassy field if you go to Home Depot and get some pole barn nails paint the heads of them white. After you get your scope set up where you like it and your done for the night push each one of the Pole barn nails in the ground at the tip of each tripod leg just outside of you tripod legs to mark the spot. move your tripod then drive them down until it's flush with the ground so you will not hit them with a mower. The next time you want to set up you can place your tripod down in the day time set everything up in the day light and know you are going to be close this is also great for solar events. You could use some hunters flag to help find them if the grass get high.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5439488 - 09/25/12 10:30 AM

Kevin,

Thanks for all the tips and instructions. There is a lot more to this than I imagined! I couldn't get anything done last night due to clouds. Looks like I'm going to be down for another 2 days or so. I'll do some dry runs just to get e procedures down. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some usefull data.

Mike

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5440279 - 09/25/12 05:13 PM

Mike

If I can help any other way let me know.

I know it seem like alot to do, but after doing it a few times you will be able to do it quicker.

It takes me about a hour from the plus side is I usually leave the mount setup, so the next day flip the switch and your good to go.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5440291 - 09/25/12 05:18 PM

Andrew

That inverted thing you noticed I have seen that during a run in fact I made a comment to Dennis about one line on the graph seems to be effected by the other. I think its the patch you are looking at. Meade hocus pocus!

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5440295 - 09/25/12 05:20 PM

Quote:

Mike

If I can help any other way let me know.

I know it seem like alot to do, but after doing it a few times you will be able to do it quicker.

It takes me about a hour from the plus side is I usually leave the mount setup, so the next day flip the switch and your good to go.

Kevin,

I think I'll be fine now. Your tips and procedures helped a lot. I sure left out a lot of steps with my last run. Looks like clouds and rain through Thursday so I won't get any data until then at least. I'll take the opportunity over the next 2 days to do a few dry runs to get familiar with the steps. Thanks again for your help.

Did you get your HC back yet?

Mike

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5440335 - 09/25/12 05:37 PM

Gday Kevin

Quote:

That inverted thing you noticed I have seen that during a run in fact I made a comment to Dennis about one line on the graph seems to be effected by the other.

As it will be if the camera isn't squared.
Ie we are logging errors "relative" to the camera sensor.
If we have pure PE in RA and a perfectly aligned camera
we will see PE in the Dx direction and nothing in the Dy direction.
If the camera is out by 90deg, we will see nothing in the Dx direction and all the PE will now show in the Dy.
If the camera is out by +90, the recorded error will be reversed in sign relative to the error if the camera was at -90deg.
If the camera is 45deg to perfect, both the Dx and Dy errors will be identical in magnitude, and effectively 0.707 of true ( based on RecordedError := ActualError * sin(45) ).
If the camera is +45deg they will have same sign, but if -45, one will be +ve when the other is -ve ( which is what Mikes shows ).
Based on the relative magnitudes of Mikes data, it looks like his camera was at about 45deg.

Mike, if you are clouded out, what you can do indoors is turn on the camera and focus on a terrestrial target. Ie Set the DEC to zero, then just release the RA clutch and rotate in RA till you can see something.
You want to set the camera such that the image moves horizontally across the screen as you move in RA.

Andrew

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Why me? new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5440347 - 09/25/12 05:44 PM

Thanks Andrew... I'll work on that and try to be ready for some real (meaningful) data Thursday or Friday.

Mike

TALK2KEV
sage

#5440425 - 09/25/12 06:48 PM

Hey I received my HCX today need to leave for work I'll try and set up later tonight, confirm the right Firmware is on the controller

TALK2KEV
sage

#5440429 - 09/25/12 06:50 PM

Thats if the weather hold

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5440540 - 09/25/12 08:01 PM

I have to comment here. This thread is 60 pages long. Typically, a thread this long goes off the rails for a myriad reasons. However, you guys have kept it going and kept it fresh. I just want you to know that I really appreciate your work.

David

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

Re: Why me? new [Re: neilson]
      #5440568 - 09/25/12 08:27 PM

Quote:

Hi Kevin,
That great news on the bearings. You would think Meade would stop leaving out the grease where its not seen by now. Having grease sure makes a difference. I hope it works out now.

The weather finally cleared. I had noticed my CGEM DX wasn't as easy to balance as I would like, so I tore the whole thing down (you knew I would anyways). I put super lube on the huge tapered roller bearings and the sealed bearings spun ease except 2 of them. I noticed the seals on one side of each were dented so I popped them out and they spun real easy now. They went next to each other so I just made the open sides face each other so in effect they were sealed again. I polished the big brass clutches with emery cloth as well as the aluminum housings. I greased them and the ring and worm gears with super lube also. Now the RA and DEC spin with ease and smooth. Both my worms spun real easy and smooth so I didn't touch them. I adjusted the worm and ring to have almost unnoticeable play (they are not spring loaded). I had noticed a slight ticking in the RA. The motor gear to worm drive gear doesn't line up perfect. I shimmed it slightly and removed backlash and its smooth and quiet now.

After all this I happened to find instructions on how to Hypertune this mount. Looks like thats what I just did. I am very pleased with it.

I took it out Tuesday night and tried the all star polar alignment. Then I took a 1 minute image, 2 minute, then 3 minute unguided image and they all had round stars. So I tried a 4 minute unguided image (all at f/10). The stars were almost perfect. I almost fell over. All these were at first try. Last night I tried Guiding with PHD. I left everything set at default, centered the star and started guiding. The star stayed centered, perfectly. Every once in a while I saw a slight movement about half the width of the star and it would quickly go back. But it always stayed in contact with the cross hairs. I have never had a mount do this great before. during the hour it never strayed out of contact of the cross hairs or lost lock.

I tried to do a PEC recording. I am going to adjust PHD to get it as smooth as possible tonight and re record Pec several times. I downloaded Pempro this morning and I will read and learn how to use it today. I plan to get my Pec smooth so I can get consistent long unguided images. Then I should get really great long guided images.

Below is a single 250 second unguided image (no PEC) of Andromeda at f/10, 9.25 ota, ISO 1600 with a Canon T1i taken Tuesday night. I did adjust contrast a little with Picasa. (4min 10sec) The stars aren't perfectly round

neilson

And I appreciated the posts on the CGEM DX as a comparison to the LX-80.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Why me? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5440779 - 09/25/12 10:37 PM

LX80: Mount, learning experience, ENTERTAINMENT!

-Rich

Quote:

I have to comment here. This thread is 60 pages long. Typically, a thread this long goes off the rails for a myriad reasons. However, you guys have kept it going and kept it fresh. I just want you to know that I really appreciate your work.

David

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5441058 - 09/26/12 04:27 AM

Mike
Don't look at The set up and drift as a whole if you do it seem to be Mt. Everest and very overwhelming. But if you look at one step at a time the next thing you know you are on top of the Mountain.

And you might want to use the hand controller HCX the first few times you drift align its a little faster and you don't have to disconnect from Autostar suite and connect to PHD every time you change the program.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5441064 - 09/26/12 04:50 AM

Greju
Neilson was the first person I know of to totally tear down an LX80 grease the bearings and make all kinds of adjustments after dealing with Meade many times over and taking apart the LX80 no less than twenty times he had to through in the towel The mount just wouldn't work for the OTA that he had and wanting some thing that will be an AP platform the CGEM was the next choice and the DX is a step up.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5443470 - 09/27/12 12:53 PM

Quote:

Mike
Don't look at The set up and drift as a whole if you do it seem to be Mt. Everest and very overwhelming. But if you look at one step at a time the next thing you know you are on top of the Mountain.

And you might want to use the hand controller HCX the first few times you drift align its a little faster and you don't have to disconnect from Autostar suite and connect to PHD every time you change the program.

Kevin,

I'll get there... it is just taking longer than I expected. I set up last night and had trouble controlling the Canon 40D with a second USB/serial adapter. I'm going to leave that out of the mix until I have usable PEC data. I found another USB/Serial adapter with one USB port to 2 RS232 connectors. Not too expensive and I think I'll try that to connect to the mount and DSLR.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5444042 - 09/27/12 07:09 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

I have use a wired remote control to do my runs and I have also used the software that came with the camera via USB the wired Remote you can set up the run or just use the button lock ,I don't because of cable drag moving the camera the remote can be set to give you a delay between shot this is helpful to let every thing dampen out.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5444178 - 09/27/12 08:44 PM

Kevin,

I have a wired remote like that for my 40D but just got a Hap Griffin serial cable in that will let me control the Camera with the computer. That is what I had trouble with. Don't know if 2 USB/serial adapters creates any kind of problem or not. I'm just going to get all the preliminary things down before I gat the imaging camera into the mix. I'm actually thinking of scrapping the DSLR in favor of an Atik CCD. All I need to do is find enough kit around here to sell to finance the Atik. Just picked up a $15 MacBook Pro from a client that was upgrading some of his computers. I'm using Windows 7 now but would like to switch to the Mac eventually. I think Stak Labs has enough Mac based software that that shouldn't be a problem.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5444734 - 09/28/12 07:02 AM

Wow 15$ MacBook Pro that's a steal,My daughter uses a MacBook Pro for graphic Arts when it come to Mac I'm lost.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5445019 - 09/28/12 11:14 AM

Don't be. They're actually a lot easier to deal with. I have windows 7 at work. It barely works, from time to time.

-Rich

Pages: << 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68010

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics