Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | >> (show all)
Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5367143 - 08/13/12 07:21 PM

Quote:

having 0.999 round down to zero can have larger effects.

Ah! that's wrong.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5367161 - 08/13/12 07:28 PM

Quote:

If Meade gets the PEC working I hope this will solve my issue.

Kevin/Dennis/Nielson/Andrew, does it all mean we are on hold for serial EQ "guiding" until PEC is fixed?

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: mmalik]
      #5367173 - 08/13/12 07:35 PM

Gday Mr Malik

Quote:

does it all mean we are on hold for serial EQ "guiding" until PEC is fixed?

Nope. The two processes are totally seperate.
PEC has nothing to do with serial guiding.
If someone wants to try PEC, i can knock up a patch similar to what is used for the A1F7 firmware, else just wait for Meade to fix it.

Andrew

mmalik
Postmaster

#5367502 - 08/13/12 10:48 PM

Thanks Andrew.

Kevin/Dennis/Neilson, if that's the case why don't you try serial "guided" images now to go along with your 60/ 90/ 150/ 300/ 400/ 600/ 780 unguided tests (which look ok); that's if you have the needed setup to do it? If yes, just pick a larger/brighter DSO and have at it.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#5367533 - 08/13/12 11:08 PM

I thought the serial guiding required the Meade DSI Imager camera and certain software? If so, that would be one reason...

Joe

Edited by jmiele (08/13/12 11:08 PM)

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: jmiele]
      #5367554 - 08/13/12 11:25 PM

Gday Joe

Quote:

I thought the serial guiding required the Meade DSI Imager camera and certain software?

Nope.
Anything that can send Meade guide commands,
be it old style start/stop ( :Mx# / :Qx# )
or the newer pulseguide style ( :MgxDDDD# ),
can guide a 497/Audiostar based scope.
Most do it via an ASCOM driver,
but Meades Envisage software uses native commands.
Meades Firmware and software will only allow pulseguiding if the mount is Polar,
but thats the major method most here are going to want to use.
The only thing in question so far is what will the new ST4 lump be like.
Based on all i have seen to date,
if its the same as the old APM909 it will work,
but it does chew up a huge amount of CPU time to do it.
I am presently looking at ways to reduce that

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5367789 - 08/14/12 06:37 AM

Andrew
I'll test your firmware patch! what needs to be done?

Well clouds here no testing tonight.

Edited by TALK2KEV (08/14/12 06:41 AM)

mmalik
Postmaster

#5367808 - 08/14/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

Kevin, what's more important is testing guiding and taking long exposures. One off patches would be a distraction at this time and will just add to the chaos this thread has abundance of. First things first, letís test the mount as it is intended to work. You did UN-guided test, next logical step would be serial guided test & serial guided imaging.

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

#5368263 - 08/14/12 12:34 PM

"...Did you notice that Excel always truncates numbers?..."

That is incorrect. Excel does calculations using its native precision, unless the user sets it otherwise.

It will display whatever the user selects for format, where it does round the first invisible digit. However, it still retains the full precision of the displayed value internally for any further calculations.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5368715 - 08/14/12 04:50 PM

Gday Mr Malik

Quote:

First things first, letís test the mount as it is intended to work.

It is intended to work "with working PEC" ( at some stage )
so making PEC work pro tem is a viable test

Quote:

what's more important is testing guiding

And he can do that whilst training PEC. Ie kill 2 birds with one stone.

You really need to buy / borrow a mount so you can test it the way "you" want and report back.

Kev,
all thats required is i do the patch. Will look at it today as we are forecast rain, followed by clouds and hail in the next few days

Andrew

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5368800 - 08/14/12 06:02 PM

Hi Guys,
I had high winds last night and high winds are predicted all week so I can't guide.
Since Meade hadn't contacted me yet even after the manager of OPT emailed them, I contacted the owner of OPT. He was very nice and contacted several of the upper management of Meade.
I received a call from Carlos the service manager of Meade. He was very nice and apologized for how his department handled my complaints and for not calling me and also explained that he had been on vacation.
We discussed in detail about my mount not being able to handle the weight of my 10"ota in polar mode. And About the different ways I adjusted it. In a way it seemed mine wasn't able to be adjusted enough because I got a ring gear that was too far out of round. But then he indicated the amp draw should be .400 Amps. I was having to adjust the tension so that on the low side of the gear it drew .450 and the high side .650 and even went up to .740 but it just wouldn't work out. He decided that the mount is just going to need to be replaced. When I got mine I believe it was adjusted around the .400amps but my ota was flopping around from the 1/4" play caused from the spring loaded worm gear. And it would disengage from the ring gear.
I asked him if he would test it before he sent it. He thought about it a second and decided yes he agrees that he should test it and he is going to set it up and make sure it will work.
I myself am concerned because if its exactly like mine with the 10"ota then its going to flop around with the 1/4" play from the spring loaded wormblock. I hope mine just had something wrong. I really do because I want this mount to work out good. And when Carlos tries out the new one with a 10"ota we will find out if it was just the one I got, or not.
As for the missing Meade stickers and handle on the ota he just said that Meade isn't going to put the stickers on any LX80 otas even though they are shown on the Meade website pictures and on the pictures in the instructions. As for the handle on the back of the 10"ota he didn't have an excuse for it being left off of the 10" but all the other sizes have a handle. He even agreed with me that it didn't make sense especially since the 10" is heavier and needs the handle even more. I thought it was cheap of Meade. The crinkle paint looks cheap compared to my nice older high gloss blue Meade otas. It really would of helped to put those nice looking Meade logo stickers shown on the pictured otas on the website. I'm going to ask if they will sell me the stickers. And the 10" is especially auckward putting on the mount in Polar or sideways in Alt/Az and the handle is really needed, Carlos even thought so.
He is going to replace the tripod because of the messed up leg but I said just the leg would be easier. He will call tomorrow and let me know. Well I am glad they are taking care of the main problems at least. I just hope the new mount checks out good enough for a 10"otas weight. I'm sure Carlos will make sure it does.
Thank you Meade, and when I get it next week (UPS takes 7 days to here) I will let everyone know how it works out. I will be sending the old one back.
neilson

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: neilson]
      #5368854 - 08/14/12 06:38 PM

Hi Neilson...

I am so very glad you finally got good results from the Meade customer service department. And if the new mount resolves everything, and the only issue left is the stickers... well... if you REALLY want stickers, i was reading a thread (i think in the Meade telescopes section) about someone makeing them for users that want them.....

Based upon your weather report, you cant work with the mount for a few days anyway. Best of Luck. I have my fingers crossed for you...

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5368912 - 08/14/12 07:23 PM

David,
Ha Ha Ha Ha, Thats good David. Yes I am very happy I got that call from Meade. It made my day. While I don't know what the big deal is about giving me those stickers, at this point my main concern is just getting that new mount and it working with my 10"ota the way it should. And I'm sure it will.
neilson

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: neilson]
      #5369206 - 08/14/12 10:25 PM

Nielson...

I think you think i was joking. I wasn't...
In the Meade LX200 (etal) section...

Edit: Link Deleted due to length.
Just go to the Meade forum, and look for the following thread:

If the link does not work, the thread is :
New LX90 ACF No Decals.... That is until now

Edited by dmdouglass (08/15/12 09:15 PM)

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5369325 - 08/14/12 11:49 PM

wow David you weren't kidding. And those Meade logo stickers look good too. I was also surprised they weren't putting them on LX90's either. Meades cutting costs down to the pennys. Or maybe they didnt want people to know it was their ota with that ugly crinkle paint lol.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5369416 - 08/15/12 01:46 AM

Gday Kevin

Quote:

Andrew

I think i have it working properly now.
Just need to do one or two more tests with my boards set up
as an LX80 to confirm the new bits work and you can have a play.
I will send you a file offline for loading, but basically,
you just load the new patched romfile and go.
To test it, you need to get a plot of your scopes PE from
an unguided logging session. ( your existing PHD plots should do there )
This gives us the general shape and magnitude of the "real" PE,
as a baseline to compare the created model against.

Then you set yr scope up to guide in Polar and when its going happily,
you just go to the Hbx "SmartDrive" menu and start a "train" session.
( Use Train not update )
Just hit enter and it will start training.
The 497EP/Audiostars dont stop at 150, so once 150 bins or more are done, just mode out.
The patch i send you has my peek function in it, so you can use it to read the data out of your handbox and display it as "equivalent" arcsecs.
If it has worked, the shape and magnitude of the PEC model should be able to be matched to the PHD plots, but it will be inverted.

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

#5369561 - 08/15/12 06:16 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Andrew

Sounds great I cant wait to get started, we too are in weather pattern for the next few days I hope it will clear off soon! I will try to do another unguided log session run about 45min or so.

mmalik
I will try to do a long guided exposure. my last Guided run was 48min the graph looked better but still 10 arc sec +/-
which I did change a few things on PHD RA aggressiveness I dropped to 75 it was 119 and Time delay to 10ms it was 0.the thinking was if the new firmware had some correction code in it the guider would need to have ESP and predict what the next move is. making those changes we went from +/- 15 to +/- 10 on the Lx55 we have always left the time delay at 0.

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: LX80 RA Tracking [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5369574 - 08/15/12 06:43 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

pec graph from the same run 8/10/12

TALK2KEV
sage

#5369577 - 08/15/12 06:48 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Here is Freq Spec from that run 8/10/12

TALK2KEV
sage

#5369579 - 08/15/12 06:51 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

I was able to take a long 5min photo that was usable I would like to use a long FL

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | >> (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68102

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics