Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | >> (show all)
TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5429746 - 09/19/12 07:12 PM

Neilson

I got the new mount but on HC ! called meade they are sending me one I hope it get here tomorrow.also if you didn't see my other post. the Dec seems tighter than the RA not sure if the bearings have been over tighten putting them in a bind or just no lube.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5429747 - 09/19/12 07:13 PM

Gday Kevin

Quote:

but as you said Andrew discontinued I haven't found one for sell. LNT unit but if its say 60.00 bucks and you need the WWV antenna thats 19.00

You don't "need" the ATUM ( WWVB lump ).
With the LNT, if you "manually" bring up the date and time screens on the Hbx, and set the data manually, it is saved in the LNT. On next boot, it just reads the data and moves on without prompt.
The LNT you showed is also an early model ( the lens used to break off a lot ). The later ones were much more robust.
Will see if i can find a piccy

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5429749 - 09/19/12 07:15 PM

Andrew

Ok that good to know WWVB is not needed

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5429773 - 09/19/12 07:34 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Gday Kevin

Couldnt find any good pics online so dug out my test units

Andrew

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5429865 - 09/19/12 08:33 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Hi Kevin,
You can adjust the tightness of the DEC bearing a little by removing the dovetail saddle. There is a sleeve that can be removed by a screw in the end of the shaft. Then tap it lightly with a hammer and it will come off. But you dont have to remove it at all. There is a collar at the base of the shaft. Loosen the small allen screw on the side of it. Now turn it counter clockwise and it will loosen the bearing. It just turns very little unless you remove the sleeve on the end but you dont want it that loose unless you want to remove the bearing. After you adjust it just tighten the allen screw and put the saddle back on. If you want to grease both bearings just remove the cover from the opposite side after removing the weight bar and aluminum clutch. I forgot to take a picture of removing the gear and bearing from that side. pictures below. As you can see my bearings had no grease.
neilson

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
      #5429962 - 09/19/12 09:28 PM

Quote:

Jerry
On Dennis Laptop older Duel Core He running XP ser pk 3 and Ascom 5 platform and using Ascom meade driver 5.0.0

We haven't tried to change anything on his computer because it works great on the LX55 and that our only AP platform.

Thanks, Kevin

Whatever y'all do, don't change Dennis' setup! You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I'm going to fool around some more with mine, do a little research on the ASCOM site. But I may have to drop back and grab some older model laptop. I might have better luck interfacing the LX80 with ASCOM 6 on a older 32-bit Windows machine instead of a 64-bit. I may also buy another 505 cable - never had a serial cable just go bad, except like a bent pin or something of that nature.

Fun stuff, man!

Jerry

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Why me? new [Re: exparrot]
      #5430071 - 09/19/12 10:56 PM

Gday Jerry
Quote:

I may also buy another 505 cable - never had a serial cable just go bad, except like a bent pin or something of that nature.

If you have a multimeter, you can easily check the cable for continuity. Much quicker than getting another one.

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

#5430358 - 09/20/12 05:21 AM

Jerry

I'm running i7 cpu windows 7 sp1 64bit
Ascom platform 6 6SP1
Meade classic lx200 Ascom Driver 5.0.3
Meade Autostar Suite 5.53
PHD 1.13.0b
Envisage Meade 7.10 live view works for the DSI pro but will not guide

I dont think its the new laptop like I said mine is running 64bit windows , And the Ascom 6 platform states that older ver. 4, 5 & 6 will be upgraded by installing Ascom 6SP1

TALK2KEV
sage

#5430372 - 09/20/12 05:34 AM

Neilson

Thanks for the info I'm going to take a peak inside. Thanks for the pic as well Did the weather clear off for you? Hope you are enjoying the new mount I'm jealous I think I'm going purchase A CGEM DX what accessories will I need to guide this beast. How much does your OTA set up weigh I think ours with the FLI 8300 camera is around 25lbs, Sorry to hear about the knob problem. Have you received your new knobs yet? Good luck & Clear skies

TALK2KEV
sage

#5430382 - 09/20/12 05:53 AM

Andrew I guess they made a few different styles of this LNT unit the photo I found on line was at

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meade-ds-2130lnt-130mm-computerized-reflector-telescope-20133.html

It looks very different to the two you have. with a curved plastic window on the side of the unit.

The GPS unit I guess there not enough room inside the HC to install the GPS ?It looks Small and after you take it out of its plastic case it would be even smaller. I haven't open one of the new AudioStar controllers yet. It would a great Mod if it would fit. Do you know of anyone doing that putting the GPS unit in HC if so do you have Pics.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5430392 - 09/20/12 06:07 AM

Gday Kevin

Quote:

Andrew I guess they made a few different styles of this LNT unit

Yep. The first ones had the lense on the side. Lots of people broke these off, so the later more robust versions came out ( like what i posted ).
Not really sure how many different variants there were.

Quote:

The GPS unit I guess there not enough room inside the HC to install the GPS ?

Its a tight squeeze with the Audiostars. I know they can fit GPS units into phones, so it should be possible, but its not the way Meade have gone.

Quote:

Do you know of anyone doing that putting the GPS unit in HC if so
do you have Pics.

Nope. It has to be hooked into the Aux bus, hence would need special rewiring etc if fitted into the Hbx. The StarGPS lumps will work with quite a few different scope types so they went with an external unit that can plug into multiple Hbxs, vs a dedicated unit for Meades Hbx. Much simpler and easier to implement.

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

#5430473 - 09/20/12 08:20 AM

Andrew
Is the Aux bus just for power?

TALK2KEV
sage

#5430475 - 09/20/12 08:22 AM

Neilson

Thanks man , The Bearing had no grease after a small amount the thing turns very easy now !

tincanandstring

Reged: 08/28/08

Loc: Cypress, CA
      #5430584 - 09/20/12 09:42 AM

Andrew, the Version 2 DS-2000 series (my first 4 inch refractor 3 years ago) is a -TC model. (The earlier teflon bearing versions may not have the clock chip.) The CR2032 Lithium battery lasts for years, of course.

http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/DS-2090AT-TC.pdf

That manual is from 2005, they've been around awhile. It would be interesting to see if that clock/battery is a bolted-on assembly just plugged onto the Aux bus somehow, I think I might have a broken mount I can check. It might be portable with a connector change? I've seen complete DS2K mounts with broken AZ or Alt axes sold for $25 or less.

Frank

neilson
professor emeritus

#5430677 - 09/20/12 10:47 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

Hi Kevin,
That great news on the bearings. You would think Meade would stop leaving out the grease where its not seen by now. Having grease sure makes a difference. I hope it works out now.

The weather finally cleared. I had noticed my CGEM DX wasn't as easy to balance as I would like, so I tore the whole thing down (you knew I would anyways). I put super lube on the huge tapered roller bearings and the sealed bearings spun ease except 2 of them. I noticed the seals on one side of each were dented so I popped them out and they spun real easy now. They went next to each other so I just made the open sides face each other so in effect they were sealed again. I polished the big brass clutches with emery cloth as well as the aluminum housings. I greased them and the ring and worm gears with super lube also. Now the RA and DEC spin with ease and smooth. Both my worms spun real easy and smooth so I didn't touch them. I adjusted the worm and ring to have almost unnoticeable play (they are not spring loaded). I had noticed a slight ticking in the RA. The motor gear to worm drive gear doesn't line up perfect. I shimmed it slightly and removed backlash and its smooth and quiet now.

After all this I happened to find instructions on how to Hypertune this mount. Looks like thats what I just did. I am very pleased with it.

I took it out Tuesday night and tried the all star polar alignment. Then I took a 1 minute image, 2 minute, then 3 minute unguided image and they all had round stars. So I tried a 4 minute unguided image (all at f/10). The stars were almost perfect. I almost fell over. All these were at first try. Last night I tried Guiding with PHD. I left everything set at default, centered the star and started guiding. The star stayed centered, perfectly. Every once in a while I saw a slight movement about half the width of the star and it would quickly go back. But it always stayed in contact with the cross hairs. I have never had a mount do this great before. during the hour it never strayed out of contact of the cross hairs or lost lock.

I tried to do a PEC recording. I am going to adjust PHD to get it as smooth as possible tonight and re record Pec several times. I downloaded Pempro this morning and I will read and learn how to use it today. I plan to get my Pec smooth so I can get consistent long unguided images. Then I should get really great long guided images.

Below is a single 250 second unguided image (no PEC) of Andromeda at f/10, 9.25 ota, ISO 1600 with a Canon T1i taken Tuesday night. I did adjust contrast a little with Picasa. (4min 10sec) The stars aren't perfectly round

neilson

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: neilson]
      #5430910 - 09/20/12 01:02 PM

Neilson
Did you do a drift align or just down and dirty?
Very nice I went down to (Astronomics) my local telescope dealer and kicked the tires again , Man the tripod is massive I going to Buy one at the end of the month. I need a steady AP platform and from everything I've seen I think that will get it done. What would you say is some must have accessories?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5430936 - 09/20/12 01:18 PM

Quote:

Hi Kevin,
That great news on the bearings. You would think Meade would stop leaving out the grease where its not seen by now. Having grease sure makes a difference. I hope it works out now.

The weather finally cleared. I had noticed my CGEM DX wasn't as easy to balance as I would like, so I tore the whole thing down (you knew I would anyways). I put super lube on the huge tapered roller bearings and the sealed bearings spun ease except 2 of them. I noticed the seals on one side of each were dented so I popped them out and they spun real easy now. They went next to each other so I just made the open sides face each other so in effect they were sealed again. I polished the big brass clutches with emery cloth as well as the aluminum housings. I greased them and the ring and worm gears with super lube also. Now the RA and DEC spin with ease and smooth. Both my worms spun real easy and smooth so I didn't touch them. I adjusted the worm and ring to have almost unnoticeable play (they are not spring loaded). I had noticed a slight ticking in the RA. The motor gear to worm drive gear doesn't line up perfect. I shimmed it slightly and removed backlash and its smooth and quiet now.

After all this I happened to find instructions on how to Hypertune this mount. Looks like thats what I just did. I am very pleased with it.

I took it out Tuesday night and tried the all star polar alignment. Then I took a 1 minute image, 2 minute, then 3 minute unguided image and they all had round stars. So I tried a 4 minute unguided image (all at f/10). The stars were almost perfect. I almost fell over. All these were at first try. Last night I tried Guiding with PHD. I left everything set at default, centered the star and started guiding. The star stayed centered, perfectly. Every once in a while I saw a slight movement about half the width of the star and it would quickly go back. But it always stayed in contact with the cross hairs. I have never had a mount do this great before. during the hour it never strayed out of contact of the cross hairs or lost lock.

I tried to do a PEC recording. I am going to adjust PHD to get it as smooth as possible tonight and re record Pec several times. I downloaded Pempro this morning and I will read and learn how to use it today. I plan to get my Pec smooth so I can get consistent long unguided images. Then I should get really great long guided images.

Below is a single 250 second unguided image (no PEC) of Andromeda at f/10, 9.25 ota, ISO 1600 with a Canon T1i taken Tuesday night. I did adjust contrast a little with Picasa. (4min 10sec) The stars aren't perfectly round

neilson

These mounts are not perfect, but with a little tuning they can perform very well as you are finding out.

neilson
professor emeritus

#5431242 - 09/20/12 04:08 PM

Hi Kevin,
I don't do drift alignments any more. I just did the all star polar alignment. That has to be the coolest easiest thing. And after your done, it will even tell you exactly how far off you are down to 00 00'00" for each direction. And it doesn't just flash on the screen for a few seconds, it stays there and you can recall it at any time, before and after the ASPA. I did a few test images the night before I tuned it and it did real good. In fact I had decided not to touch it. But that just goes against who I am. And while I was taking it apart with no instructions, I kept wishing I would of left it alone. I highly recommend getting the video on how to do it from Deep Space products. And don't force anything apart because there are a number of hidden allen screws. If I would of had instructions it would have been easier and faster.
I don't think its necessary to do the Hypertune. Use the mount for a little while so you can see just how good it is out of the box. You might not believe it can do better but the tune up makes a marked improvement. The image posted above was just a test, and once I get my PEC set up then I will be taking long guided images with round stars.

Ed,
Yes the few problems I saw I thought weren't that bad, but after correcting them this mount has become amazing. Now long exposure imaging will be so easy.

neilson.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5431249 - 09/20/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

...a single 250 second unguided image (no PEC) of Andromeda at f/10, 9.25 ota, ISO 1600 with a Canon T1i taken Tuesday night. I did adjust contrast a little with Picasa. (4min 10sec) The stars aren't perfectly round

For an unguided exposure, for CGEM DX, that looks great at 250seconds. Please post some guided images of 5-10 minutes when you can. Thx

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Why me? new [Re: tincanandstring]
      #5431443 - 09/20/12 06:29 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Gday Kevin/Frank

Kev
Quote:

Is the Aux bus just for power?

No, it supplies power and uses a modified I2C protocol
to power / talk to "lumps" connected to it.
The handbox operates as a master and ALL items on the bus are slaves.
As such, the handbox can talk to multiple items using only 2 wires.
( ref attached piccy )
In this case, the items on the Aux bus can all be plugged in "as reqd", except for the audio which is hardwired inside the Hbx. They draw their power from the common 12V supply and only talk when spoken to by the Hbx.

Frank
Quote:

It might be portable with a connector change?

You cannot just plug in any old "clock" module.
There needs to be a microprocessor/PIC that "talks" to the Aux bus
and this PIC then reads the clock.
Ie the PIC needs to have been programmed to understand the protocols used.
That said, the clock in the DS2000 is probably set into the PCB
so if the panel was powered externally, and only the Aux bus wiring was connected, it may actually work as a remote clock. The card would probably fit into a cavity in the LX80??
Do you have some close up piccies of the cards??

Andrew

Edited by OzAndrewJ (09/20/12 08:44 PM)

Pages: << 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67110

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics