Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: Pak]
      #5423823 - 09/16/12 01:59 PM

Hi Pak,
I have an LX200ACF and I took off the ends and cut them shorter and put the ends back on. The legs spread wider and it looks real cool and is more stable. I thought of doing that to my CGEM DX too. I didn't think about lengthening the lower leg supports but it would work. I saw 1"x1/4"x 2ft. flat aluminum stock on line is $4.00 each. You would just have to buy 3 and cut the length you want and round the ends with a grinder and drill a hole on each end. spray paint black and it will look like it was meant to be that way. They even sell cheap angle grinders on line from harbor freight for $15.00 to cut and round the ends. I used an angle grinder to cut my legs shorter on my LX200. I dont know how hard it is to get the ends off these legs but I used a piece of 2x4 wood to beat the ends off mine. they had glued them on and the wood wouldn't scratch them. I dont know if they glued the DX's leg ends on. Its not that expensive a project. And would make it look even cooler, lower it and spread the legs out wider. The current lower leg supports are 13" long 1"x1/4". You can buy them already made at Deep Space Products for $275. I think. I don't know how wide they are. And they even sell a battery tray that sits on it too.
neilson

Edited by neilson (09/16/12 04:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: Pak]
      #5424029 - 09/16/12 04:17 PM

Quote:

The height is one of the things I never liked about the CGE-PRO and now the DX version of the CGEM.

I agree; that 'looks' very high.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5424037 - 09/16/12 04:22 PM

I'm 5'6" and without the ota its just a couple inches shorter than I am.
neilson

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: neilson]
      #5424040 - 09/16/12 04:24 PM

Neilson,

That would make polar alignment easier and you could probably go without a diagonal... silver linings.

How do you move it?

Edited by Mkofski (09/16/12 04:26 PM)

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5424072 - 09/16/12 04:49 PM

Hi Mike,
I take the ota off, the weight off, and the mount off the tripod. Just like I do with my LX200 and that LX80. I dont even carry my LXD75 with the ota on. The CGEM DX mount and tripod weighs 85lbs plus ota. Its heavy but its solid. It doesn't even move if I trip on a leg.

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5424104 - 09/16/12 05:12 PM

Neilson
Wow that is a sharp looking set up. Its bad about the knobs but Optcorp did set you up even after buying the knobs you want you still would save money. I know it not what they showed in the video, But look at all the stress over the LX80 and Its time to get what you want, life to short! The other thing take a bolt and nut or L bracket and put front of the OTA dovetail just long enough to catch the saddle this will stop the OTA if that ever happens again. So all your Goto slews where dead center? that's great! Very nice looking set up. And as far as the polar scope I would be happy with a green laser instead of a polar scope It just to get me started very rough set up after doing iterative method and drift all I want is a starting point eyeball one deg off Polaris toward Kochab. Maybe something Ed could make. I hope you get some good weather soon so you can enjoy
the set up while the moon is still small.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5424211 - 09/16/12 06:50 PM

Hi Kevin,
On the knobs there is no way I would pay $30 for plastic knobs worth $2. And were advertised as being included. And it was one of 4 major points they made in the ad. Its the principle. But mostly it was the way they treated me.
I had the stop knob on the front of the dovetail but for balance reasons I had to remove the back one to mount it there. And it slid forward but I caught it.
As for the Polar scope all GEM mounts should come with one. But if an LXD75 costing $600. can come with one you would really expect a $2,000. mount to include it.
The instruction Manuel actually says look through the hole where the polar scope goes and center polaris in the center of the hole. That will be close enough. Geez. How cheap can you be celestron.
I don't need a polar scope. I can place Polaris in the correct location in my finder scope and get within 5'of the pole 50% of the time. Based on Kochab. Sometimes I use my laser finder instead. But I think polar scopes are so cool and I like to see how close to perfect I can get. Its just the principle of it, that it should include one. Not because I need a polar scope but because its supposed to have one. Theres a big hole in the middle of the scope where it goes. Thats one thing I will buy. I actually thought I already bought it. When I unscrewed the covers I started looking through the packing thinking it was still in the box. Next thing they will make us buy the handbox separate. or the finder scope.
But now my only concerns are the weather clearing. I will buy the polar scope later and Just deal with the knob problem.

There is one thing I must bring up. Pay attention Meade. Every time I turn the power off then turn it on. No matter if its 1 minute or days later. This mount keeps the correct time and date. I don't have to keep entering it every time I loose power. The next time I set up and hook up power and turn it on I don't have to enter anything. Thats what I expect in a modern mount, Meade. Thank you Celestron for having the intelligence to put a small battery on the circuit board so this mount keeps the time and date.
neilson

Edited by neilson (09/16/12 07:09 PM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5424332 - 09/16/12 08:23 PM

Nielson,
We probably should start a new thread about the CGEM as it is rather far afield from LX80 tracking.

Can you post a link to an add showing the CGE pro knobs on the DX? I can only find pictures of the regular knobs. The polar scope is totally not needed with the CGEM DX. Use ASPA as it is just as accurate or more so. They do sell a polar scope but save your money as ASPA is easier and more accurate. The Meade mounts I hasve used all had battery backed clocks that saved time and location. Maybe you just didn't turn them on, the Celestron has to be set to on also or you will think itr doesn't have one.

By the way I have no problem with the stock knobs but ADM sells upgrade knobs etc. if you are into that sort of thing. Are you mabe mixing up longer clutch knobe for saddle knobs?

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Why me? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5424462 - 09/16/12 09:45 PM

Hi,
My LX200 has a battery for the time but the Lxd75 doesn't. But My issue is with the brand new LX80 does not remember time and date once you loose power. You must re enter it every time.

Mark from celestron removed the video ad from their website and other places on line. but he missed one place. Google "utube cgem dx" they specifically show the dovetail knob from a pro. the knob is on the guidescope above the ota(which they dont go there either). celestron admitted they just moved it up there for the video because it was easier to shoot the video there and get a close up with his fingers grabbing it. as he talked about it.
they never put the pro knobs on the dx. but they made a video showing it. that was on the celestron website on the dx page until friday when I wanted the knobs and Mark removed the vid. I even explained how I had trouble and almost lost my ota. The smart and right thing to do would of been say we didnt put them on after all but since the ad shows it we will go ahead and send you 2 knobs. That would of been so simple and easy. they carry them on the support page under spare parts. cge pro #cge2-b03-14 But after going round and round he kept refusing until I finally gave up. end of story. Sorry but I have no Idea how to start threads and I didnt expect people taking up for Celestron for the way they treated me.
And as I keep saying I dont need a polar scope to polar align. I've done it about a hundred times without one very successfully. that wasnt the point.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5424498 - 09/16/12 10:09 PM

I knew the CGem didn't come with a polar scope but I never use them bad knee, had it jack up due to motorcycle wreck 12 years ago so ground work is out of the question. I just think the green laser would be a down and dirty solution if you didn't want to or was unable to get on your knees.

neilson
professor emeritus

#5424553 - 09/16/12 10:41 PM

Yes you are right. I have a green laser and pointed it just off polaris towards kachob. I used that for a year and a half now and it also works great for alignments. If you look at my lx80 duel scope setups picture I posted on page 50 I put the Meade 10" finder on my explore scientific and put my laser on the 10" ota. I actually used the Meade finder scope bracket and put longer allen screws to hold the laser. Sorry to hear about your knees, that can be painful.

Edited by neilson (09/16/12 10:45 PM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#5424651 - 09/17/12 12:02 AM

The knobs shown on the guide scope are the ones that came with my guide scope package and are not the cge pro knobs. He also says that the "lock levers are longer" which refers to the clutch levers that are longer on the DX. You need to check the picture where you bought it from. I never heard anything in the video or anywhere else that the dovetail knobs were changed or upgraded for the DX.

Don't take this as a defence of Celestron because you can search for my own personal struggles with celestron's customer service and support, and faulty cgems. They just don't deserve it over knobs instead of locking levers.

You are also the first to state they thought that the polar scope was included. Celestron will state the polar scope in not needed and not included because they offer ASPA.

The real test for your mount will be pe, the 8/3 pe, and if the dec exhibits the cogging effect. These will determine if your sample can guide well or not.

I thought all autostar equiped meades kept time/location data. I guess I was mistaken.

neilson
professor emeritus

#5424764 - 09/17/12 01:40 AM

Mark
thats interesting. because celestron told me that those were dovetail levers from a pro (and they look just like them) and they put them on the guidescope for easier shooting of the video. the guys did mean them as dovetail clamps because the guys shooting the video made a mistake. Celestron told me they made a mistake when shooting the video. I also looked at their guidescopes packages and didnt see that huge handle on any of them. You might have those huge handles on yours but I didnt see any on any of the celestron guidescope rings clamps. And I didn't see those long levers on the guidescope setup in that video except in that one shot. And I never saw those levers on any of the videos of celestrons guidescope setups and they showed many closeups all with a small different type handle.on the guidescope clamps. They showed that handle and implied it was used on the DX. Celestron admitted that and said they made a mistake. It doesnt matter if they meant something else. They showed that handle and admitted it. and that they made a mistake. Its real stupid for them to argue about it. Most any customer service would of said yes we showed that and it was a mistake but we will send you the two handles. Geez, Anybody with business sense knows that. especially over two handles that probably cost $2.00 to make. if that. Before you twist what this is about read carefully what I wrote. It has nothing to do with what they should of shown. They did not show clutch levers or say clutch levers. They should have but they didnt. But they did say the lock levers so they could lock down heavier loads, And they showed him tightening a long pro dovetail lever that has no resemblence in any way to a clutch lever. It makes you think they were talking about tightning the heavy 14" ota sitting in the background by his head. Nothing in that video makes you think they put longer clutch levers. Unless maybe you knew thats what they did in advance. but it would still be a stretch.

And no where on the CGEM DX'S AD does Celestron state that a polar scope is not needed and not included because they offer ASPA.

I dont know why you are twisting what my complaint was about. You wern't there. You dont even understand what this is about. Its not about knobs or levers. Its about how you treat a customer that just spent 4 grand in your business. You explain that the video was mistaken about the knobs then apologize for the misunderstanding and you give the guy the 2 dollar knobs. Mostly because you want him to come back and spend more money. but also because its the right thing to do. go pick on someone else

Edited by neilson (09/17/12 01:44 AM)

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5424765 - 09/17/12 01:41 AM

Gday Mark

Just grazing over the thread and saw this snippet
Quote:

I thought all autostar equiped meades kept time/location data. I guess I was mistaken.

None of the recent Autostars ( except the LS scopes ) have "clocks".
Ie the 497, 497EP, Audiostar, LX200 ( with ASII ) dont have clocks.
The LX200 has a backup battery, but that just keeps the GPS ephemerides current, not the time.
For the 497 type handboxes, there is an external LNT module that allows fully automatic north and level aligning, as well as having a clock and red dot finder. However, after the time is set, the Hbx uses its own internal clocking based on cpu interrupts for all calcs, not the LNT clock.

Andrew

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Why me? new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5424943 - 09/17/12 07:48 AM

So time date/time should be redone each alignment then? It does save location though correct? Talking about 497 and 497EP equiped scopes.

Thanks

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#5424950 - 09/17/12 07:55 AM

Nielson,

You are correct that I was not there and don't know what anyone from Celestron told you. I too hate it whrn promised one thing and delivered something else. Standing on proinciple is something more should do and I applaud you for that. If they indeed "lied: to you or implied something they did not deliver returning the whole package is an option.

When they wanted a return of my mount (and 8 week turn around time) for a defective HC I told them I would ship the whole package back to the retailer as defective for a refund. They then cross shipped a new HC at their own expence.

Sorry to make you feel picked on and it was not my intention and at least anyone else reading this will know what to expect if they order a DX now.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5424962 - 09/17/12 08:06 AM

I seen the video you are talking about and they do talk about bigger knobs on the saddle to handle the load if you want to see the video You tube type Ces 2011 Celestron CGEM DX 1100 HD A Celestron Rep is talking about bigger tripod ,counter weights , motor boards and knobs on the saddle all to help handle the larger payload.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#5424984 - 09/17/12 08:33 AM

Video in question;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEF-6AEdHCM

"lock levers" at 1:05 while tightening the guidescope dovetail knob

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5425017 - 09/17/12 09:06 AM

Quote:

And no where on the CGEM DX'S AD does Celestron state that a polar scope is not needed and not included because they offer ASPA.

It's clearly stated in the GGEM manual (pg37-39) that the polar scope is an option and that the standard method of polar alignment is the HC based ASPA routine.

You based your assumptions on what comes with a scope from an advertisement and an online video and are upset because the advertisement doesn't cover everything and the video contains things that are not standard?

What conversation(s) did you have with your vendor?
-what's in the box?
-what comes with the mount?
-what do I need in addition?

Did you read any other material before you purchased?

Like the other Mark I'm not a Celestron apologist and I fully agree that Celestron isn't handling things very well ... it would have been very easy to fix this situation. But it also seems that there wouldn't have been problems if some more readily available information had been gathered before the order.

Edit: Ever re read a post and realize it comes off more negatively than you initially intended? I think one point I was thinking about when I wrote all this (but didn't really explain) is that C like most other vendors doesn't do a particularly good job marketing their products. They don't tend to adequately describe the usage and capabilities of their products.

I'm always curious where folks get their pre sales information from (thus the questions) ... and am amazed at how poorly most website info (text or video) is at educating potential customers. It's almost like trying to buy a car from just the sales brochures (and yes I know that happens all the time) ... and about now there are a number of dealers jumping up and down saying "that's what we're for".

Edited by mclewis1 (09/17/12 11:30 AM)

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Why me? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5425030 - 09/17/12 09:13 AM

Which do folks prefer? Knobs, handles, or levers? I prefer knobs when I want to be sure not to over-torque something. However, handles and levers can be nice as well.

Pages: << 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68156

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics