Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5425219 - 09/17/12 11:18 AM

Thank You Mark,
I'm going to keep my mount, I like it too much.

Hi everyone,
I will leave it like it is until I find another solution. Adm has some knobs but I want long ones with grip on them similar to the pro's knobs. But not for $30. a pair

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: neilson]
      #5425282 - 09/17/12 12:02 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,
I will leave it like it is until I find another solution. Adm has some knobs but I want long ones with grip on them similar to the pro's knobs. But not for $30. a pair

Neilson,

Is there a Celestron part number for the knobs? I couldn't find them on the site.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Now about the CGEM it seems new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5425341 - 09/17/12 12:26 PM

I need to get a CGEM for a very good price so I can afford all the upgrades I want to do to it.
New saddle, new knobs and a hypertune kit. I may also spread the legs out and lower it down as discussed above.

I am also interested in the new Skywatcher mount. Hopefully there will be one at PATS this year.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Now about the CGEM it seems new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5425362 - 09/17/12 12:41 PM

Michael,

Don't know what you consider a very good price but there is one listed for $1150 now in the classified. I assume that you are looking for one for less than that?

It it is the standard CGEM you are looking for, you may not need to lower the height of the tripod.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Now about the CGEM it seems new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5425374 - 09/17/12 12:48 PM

Yah I saw that but I also read between the lines on that ad. Works fine for visual, doesn't for AP. I'll pass. I've seen excellent ones sell for 950.00 before. Typical used price is 1,000.00 I have OPT looking for one for me.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5425430 - 09/17/12 01:19 PM

Hi Mike,
The part number is #CGE2-B03-14. I managed to get measurements of the Pro's dovetail knob. The threaded shaft is 1 3/4" and the handle grip is 3 1/4". On the DX the the metal shaft is 2 1/4" with a handle of 2". Its not going to fit. The Pro uses a shorter metal shaft and the Dx has to have a longer shaft it needs that extra 1/2". I am glad I didn't give in and pay the $30. But I almost did.
neilson

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5425836 - 09/17/12 04:52 PM

Gday Mark

Quote:

So time date/time should be redone each alignment then?

Date time has to be "set" on every reboot.
How this gets done depends on whats fitted.
If you have a GPS or LNT, the handbox will attempt to use them first, but if they fail, it will revert to manual entry.
Ie
If you had an external LNT module, you could fit it to an LX80 and get a realtime clock. ( In altaz, you would also get autoalign functionality )
If you have a StarGPS module, you can plug that in and the LX80 will have GPS time/location capability.

Quote:

It does save location though correct?

Correct. Location and DST settings are always stored in EEprom and hence retained across boots.

Andrew

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Why me? new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5425867 - 09/17/12 05:13 PM

Thanks Andrew

Interesting that the ETX80 has a clock chip in it and the LX80 doesn't.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5425914 - 09/17/12 05:40 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Time for what could be a stupid question... Do I need a camera to check the PE with PHD? I have the computer, the software (PHD), the mount and the serial cable/serial to USB adapter. All I'm waiting on is a camera. that won't be in until Wedesday.

I think I'm trying to get a graph like this:

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5425951 - 09/17/12 06:02 PM

Gday Mark

Quote:

Interesting that the ETX80 has a clock chip in it and the LX80 doesn't.

I didnt know the ETX80 had a "real" clock in it!!
Got any piccies????

I had heard the LX200 classics had a clock, and the LS models had one, but as far as i knew, anything running off an Autostar I ( 497, 497EP, Audiostar ) or Autostar II ( LX200GPS, RCX, LX800 ) didnt have real clocks in them??

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5425956 - 09/17/12 06:04 PM

Gday Mike

Quote:

Do I need a camera to check the PE with PHD?

Yep.
Any simple webcam or LPI type device will work,
as PHD needs feedback from an image to determine error.

Andrew

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5426000 - 09/17/12 06:36 PM

Andrew,

I was afraid so. I guess I'll wait until Wednesday.

Time for more stupid questions... I'm trying to make sure I have the software in place when the camera arrives. Do I need Ascom drivers for the LX80, for the camera (Orion Starshoot G3) or both? I looked on the ASCOM web site and am a bit confused. On the Stark Lab web site I found "Meade Classic 5.0.3 for the 497 HC. Is that waht I need to install? I'm using a Windows 7 machine right now.

Thanks!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5426010 - 09/17/12 06:41 PM

Andrew

Taken from Astronomics full description of the ETX 80:

"The Meade ETX-80AT backpack edition includes a computer clock chip that keeps track of the time and date, so there’s no need to supply that information each time you set up the scope. The scope’s computer will remember your last observing location, so there’s also no need to reenter that information if you’re observing from the same site. If you’re observing from a different location, simply enter the city and state you are observing from – or just your zip code! That’s all the information the AutoStar computer needs to start you observing. Six internal (user-supplied) AA batteries power the ETX-80AT for up to 20 hours in the field."

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5426014 - 09/17/12 06:45 PM

Gday Mike

Quote:

I was afraid so. I guess I'll wait until Wednesday.

Did you ever try your LPI???
Even tho Envisage wont see it due to the wrong name,
it should still show up as a "webcam" and work in PHD etc,
as long as you pick bright stars.

Quote:

Do I need Ascom drivers for the LX80, for the camera (Orion Starshoot G3) or both?

PHD should see a std webcam type camera without need for ASCOM.
ASCOM drivers will be required to "guide" the LX80, but are not required if you only want to do initial PEC OFF, unguided error logging, which is the first process you need to do if you just want to analyse what the geartrain is like.
As to setting up the driver etc within PHD for "guiding", i'll defer to Kevin etc who have more experience there with what works best.

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5426044 - 09/17/12 07:07 PM

Gday Mark

Quote:

The Meade ETX-80AT backpack edition

Interesting find.
I see after a bit of digging that it is also referenced as the ETX-80AT-TC.
( the TC probably means timechip )
It uses a 494 controller, so the clock chip has to be in the base.
As such, it will be connected directly to the Aux bus and probably gets its power from the std batteries, ( which would have to be left in place to retain time ).
Interestingly, the "backpack" scopes used to be identified by their own model versions in the firmware, but they were removed several revisions ago???
Anyway, its new info to me, and now explains where an unknown ( to me ) lump on the Aux bus comes from, so thanks for the link.

Andrew

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5426186 - 09/17/12 08:37 PM

Quote:

It uses a 494 controller, so the clock chip has to be in the base.

That's right. I have two ETX80s in unopened boxes sitting in my garage for almost 6 years I had to return my ETX80 to Meade maybe 7 times. Each time they gave me a complete new box. In all confusion I ended up with two telescopes I remember wondering how a company like that was able to stay in business. I have actually few more boxes with all accessories in them but missing a telescope. I remember a few ETX80s did not last even a few minutes Business as usual for Meade.

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Why me? new [Re: Alph]
      #5426742 - 09/18/12 05:57 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Mike
using PHD to get PE in the LX80
My set up I used Windows 7 and Ascom 6 platform v 6SP1 I used the classic Lx200 Meade Ascom driver v 5.0.3 for the mount PHD v 1.130b when you open PHD and click on telescope Icon at the bottom it will pop up a Ascom box(see photo) you want to choose Meade classic and Autostar 1 if you get a error click property button and make sure your Ascom driver is using the com port as your USB to Serial Adapter we bought our last two from radio shack at 39.99 I have used a cheaper brand but had problem with the adapter. *NOTE* When you plug everything in for the first time try and use the same USB port for your camera as when you installed it and first plugged it up so if you have three usb ports I have one on the left side and two on the right I use the left side for my camera and the right side 1st port for my USB to serial adapter, from this adapter you will plug in you Meade 505 cable and the other end into the bottom of your hand controller. Every computer is a little different I have used
other USB ports and sometimes it work and sometime not but If I use the same USB port every time I have no problems or errors.

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5426762 - 09/18/12 06:19 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Also in PHD if you click on the Brain it will bring up setting box. Once you start trying to guide this will be a good place to start with your setting none (see photo) of these value are set in stone when guiding watch you graph (Tools tab enable graph)and make changes to the values as needed. But for now all we are trying to do is watch the mount work while tracking unguided to do this look at the bottom of the setting box and click on Disable Guide output now cover your scope take a dark frame this will remove hot pixels if you guide star runs across a hot pixel because of the SNR signal to Noise ratio it will jump from your star and start guiding on the hot pixel hot pixel don't move so PHD will start to look as if its working great and you data set is trashed. *note* PHD
makes a text file after you do a unguided run for about 45 min to hour stop the run and go to my documents and rename the PHD file it looks like this PHD_log_06Aug12 to 72mm_unguided_PHD_log_06Aug12 if you do another make 72mm_unguided2_PHD_log_06Aug12 and so on maybe a posted it in the laptop to remind you to Rename save data file

Edited by TALK2KEV (09/18/12 08:18 AM)

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5426768 - 09/18/12 06:27 AM

*** Note for PEC training Only ****

If You are working with Andrew to try and PEC train the other setting you want and this is for Andrews program and PEC training at the top right of the setting box select Dec Guide mode this is a drop down menu switch it to (off) so when you are trying to train PEC it only sends RA corections to the mount.

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Why me? [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5426771 - 09/18/12 06:30 AM

I hope I can add to the data set in a few days Meade sent me a new LX80 but I opened up the box and it had no hand controller so I'm waiting on Meade to send one out I hope to have it by Thurs.

Pages: << 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68064

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics