Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | >> (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: exparrot]
      #5428993 - 09/19/12 10:37 AM

Jerry,

I'm using a USB to Serial adapter that I bought with a Meade cable from Amazon. I think it was $10. I have a $40 one from Radio shack that I'll return soon if the cheep one keeps working.

One thing I did do that you may not have... I installed PHD and the Ascom drivers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5429453 - 09/19/12 03:46 PM

Thanks, Mike

Yep, I've installed ASCOM and the Meade driver and PHD and everything a million times. I've used two different USB to Serial cables. I've tried different com ports (1-6). It's weird because the whole setup works fine with my 8SE and my iOptron Cube Pro.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread with this. I'll figure it out at some point.

Jerry

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5429505 - 09/19/12 04:19 PM

Gday Jerry

Quote:

I've used two different USB to Serial cables. I've tried different com ports (1-6). It's weird because the whole setup works fine with my 8SE and my iOptron Cube Pro.

Just to 100% clarify here.
You are using different cables for the Celestron vs Meade connections???
The Meade serial cable ( that plugs into the Hbx ) is wired differently to the Celestrons.
They are NOT interchangeable.
( Im not sure how the Ioptron is wired )

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Why me? new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5429524 - 09/19/12 04:29 PM

Gday Kevin

Quote:

That cool time and date can be saved does this work for the LX80? and where does the cable plug into or do I need to install a plug first if so how is it wired?

The gizmo you have linked to is actually called an ATUM.
It plugs into the side of an LNT unit and allows the LNT to grab/resynch its time ( in the states ) from the WWVB time broadcasts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB
As noted earlier, the actual clock is built into the LNT modules.
Meade discontinued these, but they can be picked up second hand.
They work according to the handbox they are plugged into, not the type of scope selected, hence will work happily on an LX80.
If you could find one, i can see no reason why it wouldnt plug in and work happily,
If you mounted it properly you also get a red dot finder, proper backup clock, and if altaz, auto alignment.
( Auto alignment can be problematic until its calibrated, but that is easy to do )

Andrew

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Why me? new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5429526 - 09/19/12 04:31 PM

Hi,
I found that out myself the other day when I tried my Meade connector to update my Celestron Handbox. It kept telling me it didnt recognize my telescope. And I told myself jokingly their probably wired differently. But I swapped them and it worked.

exparrot

#5429556 - 09/19/12 04:55 PM

Quote:

Just to 100% clarify here.
You are using different cables for the Celestron vs Meade connections???
The Meade serial cable ( that plugs into the Hbx ) is wired differently to the Celestrons.
They are NOT interchangeable.
( Im not sure how the Ioptron is wired )

Gday Andrew

That's a fair question! Yes, I am using the proprietary Celestron cable with the 8SE and the iOptron is a straight USB (proprietary as well). I only use the 505 with the LX80 connection.

I had not tried any connection until I did the firmware update - it worked okay that one time. Of course, there's no ASCOM layer in the picture for that process.

Jerry

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5429581 - 09/19/12 05:10 PM

Gday Jerry

Quote:

I had not tried any connection until I did the firmware update - it worked okay that one time. Of course, there's no ASCOM layer in the picture for that process.

Have you retried to connect with apps that dont use ASCOM?
If other stuff like ASSuite, ASU updater, Starpatch etc will still connect, but nothing via ASCOM will, then its going to be fun.
There are lots of reports on the ASCOM site where people have upgraded and it doesnt work anymore. Lots of others upgrade with no problems.
ASCOM is so dependent upon everything in windows itself being correct as well, that debugging problems can be painful.

Andrew

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Why me? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5429593 - 09/19/12 05:17 PM

Quote:

I installed PHD and the Ascom drivers.

Not discouraging you in any way; you'll learn along the way and that's a good thing. But your end result (5-10 min guided exposures) is NOT going to be any different than what other testers on this thread have concluded.

You and all before you also went through the same hoops (with guiding) just because Meade didn't and still hasn't recognized the need for ST-4 port module. You wouldn't have to do any of the ASCOM stuff if you were using ST-4 guiding via PHD. Serial guiding, the way Meade implements it, via hand controller and stuff, is quite convoluted and behind times in my opinion.

exparrot

#5429611 - 09/19/12 05:33 PM

Gday Andrew

Quote:

There are lots of reports on the ASCOM site where people have upgraded and it doesnt work anymore. Lots of others upgrade with no problems.
ASCOM is so dependent upon everything in windows itself being correct as well, that debugging problems can be painful.

Oh, that's encouraging! Maybe I should back level to ASCOM 5. Or, I might be better off, going out and looking for some old XT machine. My laptop is fairly new, Windows Home, 64-bit, yaddy, yaddy, yaddy.

I think I tried the AutoStar Suite, but I might be dreaming that. It's been a while since I last fooled around with it. I'll try again and double check.

I haven't even begun to search the ASCOM troubleshooting knowledgebase. I figured it was a data mining black-hole that might take a few evenings to go through. LOL

Jerry

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5429645 - 09/19/12 06:05 PM

Gday Jerry

Quote:

Oh, that's encouraging! Maybe I should back level to ASCOM 5.

You will find outright hostility to that avenue from the ASCOM crowd.
They actually remove the older versions to prevent people doing it as they reckon you should "just get the current version working".
I suspect they dont understand how frustrating that is for people who dont live and breathe the low level guts of windows and ASCOM.

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Why me? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5429653 - 09/19/12 06:16 PM

Gday Mr Malik

You do seem to have a one track mind.

Quote:

You wouldn't have to do any of the ASCOM stuff if you were using ST-4 guiding via PHD.

ASCOM also allows users to link their scopes to many other things ( like planetarium progs etc, its not just for guiding ) As such, for many people, getting ASCOM working is actually required, if they want to maximise what other apps they can use.

Quote:

Serial guiding, the way Meade implements it, via hand controller and stuff, is quite convoluted and behind times in my opinion.

Why???
Its a simple serial cable sending commands.
Just the same as ST4 is 4 wires being read by a PIC which is then read by the Hbx.
As i have mentioned before, ST4 in the 497s has no real benefits ( processing wise ) over serial guiding, and actually loads the Hbx processor much more heavily.
To fix that requires a completely new design of handbox.
That would be nice, as would touch screens, wireless, direct drive motors, absolute encoders, better gears, coffee making facilities, direct access to a "cloud" based catalogues, full 32 or 64 bit floating point calculations, etc etc etc.
We are discussing using what we have here, so lets limit it to that.

Andrew

PS, i see on yr other thread that your "simple" ST4 guiding doesnt work with yr new camera??.
Perhaps you should see if serial guiding works

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5429671 - 09/19/12 06:26 PM

Jerry
On Dennis Laptop older Duel Core He running XP ser pk 3 and Ascom 5 platform and using Ascom meade driver 5.0.0

We haven't tried to change anything on his computer because it works great on the LX55 and that our only AP platform.

Mike / Jerry
If you connect to say Autostar suite you must disconnect which can be done in the program Telescope tab protocol then click (none) this will disconnect the program

If you have a old program called Desktop Universe it has a Ascom Hub in the program which is nice because you connect to it first then all your other program on the drop down box on Ascom select (desktop Unverse Hub) and everything talks thru it works very well and you don't have to connect and disconnect programs. The only program I have trouble disconnecting is PHD some times it does it some times it hangs up which then you must close the program (PHD) and reopen.

other than that I haven't had any problem pushing around the mount via software.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5429677 - 09/19/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

I see on yr other thread that your "simple" ST4 guiding doesnt work with yr new camera

Gday Andrew; my ST-4 works great with 1.3MP SSAG, just was trying 3MP SSAG which didn't work out so great. ST-4 by design is quite simple; most mainstream mounts have standard ST-4. (It is the fringe ones like LX80 which are silo-ed in the 80s technology)

TALK2KEV
sage

#5429680 - 09/19/12 06:30 PM

Neilson

GPS for Meade mounts

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=255-6165&kw=&st=0

this will set time date and location has anyone used them if so Have you had any trouble?

TALK2KEV
sage

#5429696 - 09/19/12 06:39 PM

Andrew
Do you have any pics of the LNT unit what does it look like and what is the going price of these.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5429701 - 09/19/12 06:42 PM

Is there a pass thru for serial guiding or does the module have to unplugged and the computer plugged in to guide? Built in clock in the HC seems so simple and cheap enough now a days.

TALK2KEV
sage

#5429722 - 09/19/12 06:54 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Ok I think I found a pic of the LNT unit

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Why me? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5429725 - 09/19/12 06:58 PM

Gday Mr Malik

Quote:

Gday Andrew; my ST-4 works great with 1.3MP SSAG, just was trying 3MP SSAG which didn't work out so great. ST-4 by design is quite simple;

I fully understand the "concept" of ST4 is simple.
Its the implementation that i am addressing .
Ie the ST4 in a 497 is a multistage "polled every 100ms" process, unlike the LX200s, where its wired directly into the primaty processor and read in interrupts.

aaaand, if its so simple, WHY doesnt it work with the new camera???
Everything is simple till its not

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

#5429732 - 09/19/12 07:06 PM

but as you said Andrew discontinued I haven't found one for sell. LNT unit but if its say 60.00 bucks and you need the WWV antenna thats 19.00 so you have 80 in it thats if you can find the unit for sell the GPS seem to be a better deal Time date and location $129.00

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5429736 - 09/19/12 07:08 PM

Gday Kevin
Quote:

GPS for Meade mounts

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=255-6165&kw=&st=0

this will set time date and location has anyone used them if so Have you had any trouble?

Thats the unit provided by the owner of StarPatch

http://www.stargps.ca/index.html

They work brilliantly well.
If you run basic firmware, it will set the date / time etc using std Meade serial commands.
If you load the fully patched firmware, it integrates the process into the Hbx and you get really groovy signal strength bars indicating satellites and strengths etc.
You also get the unlocked firmware loader, which runs about 15x faster than Meades ASU utility.
Currently, you MUST use a minimum patch to fix the serial date command, as that is still not fixed by Meade.
IIRC, Tom Mohr bought one and has it working with his LX80.

Andrew

Pages: << 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | >> (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68166

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics