Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Reged: 05/01/03

Loc: Germany
Aries 178 mm F/8 doublet Fluorite Apo new
      #5237722 - 05/24/12 05:13 PM

ARIES Instr.-Ukraine 178 mm F/8 , doublet Fluorite Apo ( CaF2 + OF6), optical tube with rings, finder bracket and case. - diameter of tube 219mm, - diameter of dew shield 242mm, - retractable dew shield, - total lengt from end of focuser to front of dew shield when dew shield is fully extendet 1480mm, - total length from end of focuser to front of dew shield when dewshield is fully retracted 1250mm, - focuser travel 92mm, - back focal length 185mm,

US $ 17,950.-

in Action at APM Stargate Observatory

I can read the Refractor Forum, but not Post there. I see there some questions related to this product, so I answere them here

1, Tube is fully made from Aluminum
2, Price : Please note this scope is shipped from Ukraine to Germany, customs paid.

If you look to European dealers of the other mentioned menufacturers you see that our prices here are much higher then in USA, due international shipping, customs fees, high 19% VAT and more.

so foreigner telescopes in USA are always more expensive then US made scopes. The opposite, US made scopes are much more expensive in our countrys too.

Look at the used prices for such big apos, customers asking between 50 and 100% more then new cost , why ? Because they cannot buy it new anymore , only used

To my Knowledge our LZOS and Aries Series are the only companys in the world who making serial production apos 7" and larger.

The manufacturing prices will not stay year for year at the sam elevel, they going up and up every year for the high end apos, due big cost increases of raw material, mashining, employee cost etc.

I saw from a US maker a 175 mm apo, which cost 3 times as much toda,y then 10 years ago

APM have had no 300% price increase in 10 years with LZOS and Aries not either !!!

I have now the first Aries 178 in my backyard and tested it several nights, you see what you expect to see from a perfect designed and perfect made high end Fluorite Apo !

Russian LZOS OF 6 Glas is similar to Schott KzFSN2 , more expensive then many todays ED Glas, the perfect match to Fluorite.

Everybody who knows Valerys Talent knows he push the magic out of the glas.
In the Nightys we have made and sold with Valery such doublet Fluorite Apos 10" triplet and 12" doublet to japanese most cricitcal observers, reporting zero color apos and they have many high end apos to compere over there.

If you have any question about the Aries ask me here , I can also invite valery to the discussion if you like

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Aries 178 mm F/8 doublet Fluorite Apo new [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5237748 - 05/24/12 05:41 PM

Another Point which came up at the refractor forum , a doublet fluorite as expensive as triplet fluorite ?

Let see :
triplet oilspacest fluorite:
2 standart glas surfaces coated
2 standart glas surfaces perfect polished
1 expensive fluorite element plus two inexpensive standart glases material cost
cheap makable oilspacing

doublet airspacest fluorite
2 glas surface perfect polished
2 critical fluorite surfaces perfect polished
2 glas surfaces coated
2 critical fluorite surfaces coated
critical spacers need to be polished in thickness for optimisation, perfect assembling is more expensive then oilspacing

the very expensive glas in the doublet cost almost as much as a FPL 53 element same size, so the doublet mating element choosed here cost more then the 2 standart glases in the triplet

in summarize a doublet of such choosen perfect design is more expensive then a triplet oilspacest fluorite

Yu Gu

Reged: 06/18/06

#5238623 - 05/25/12 09:27 AM

So, you are hinting that it does not make sense for one to buy a doublet fluorite, right?

Quote:

Another Point which came up at the refractor forum , a doublet fluorite as expensive as triplet fluorite ?

Let see :
triplet oilspacest fluorite:
2 standart glas surfaces coated
2 standart glas surfaces perfect polished
1 expensive fluorite element plus two inexpensive standart glases material cost
cheap makable oilspacing

doublet airspacest fluorite
2 glas surface perfect polished
2 critical fluorite surfaces perfect polished
2 glas surfaces coated
2 critical fluorite surfaces coated
critical spacers need to be polished in thickness for optimisation, perfect assembling is more expensive then oilspacing

the very expensive glas in the doublet cost almost as much as a FPL 53 element same size, so the doublet mating element choosed here cost more then the 2 standart glases in the triplet

in summarize a doublet of such choosen perfect design is more expensive then a triplet oilspacest fluorite

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Aries 178 mm F/8 doublet Fluorite Apo new [Re: Yu Gu]
      #5238724 - 05/25/12 10:31 AM

wrong, I showed the advantages of the doublet, thats why we do it with Aries !!!!

BWAZ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/05

Loc: CA
      #5238781 - 05/25/12 11:10 AM

Indeed you have shown us how difficult and expensive to make a fluorite doublet that has almost perfect color correction. However being difficult and expensive to make doesn't imply the fluorite is better. On the contrary, what I read from the lines is the oiled triplet has edge over the doublet. Actually you've listed a few: it has higher transmission, comparable cooling time, less fussy with element alignment, faster and more.

That said I do believe this is an exciting product which can make someone really happy.

Larry Geary
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/06

#5238810 - 05/25/12 11:30 AM

How does it compare in color correction to the Takahashi FS152? Do you have a Zygo of the objective you could post?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Aries 178 mm F/8 doublet Fluorite Apo new [Re: BWAZ]
      #5240226 - 05/26/12 04:29 AM

there is a thread right now on refractor forums about oil problems which you will never ever have in a airspacest model, think about it

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Aries 178 mm F/8 doublet Fluorite Apo new [Re: Larry Geary]
      #5240228 - 05/26/12 04:33 AM

Hi Larry

Vendors are not allowed to speak about other manufacturs products, here not either.

I have used the Aries 178 now all week long every evening under nice skys and can tell you the colorcorrection compet perfect with high end triplets , I hope that answeres your question.

I am not shure if Valery want that we supply testreports with his optics , he is in same position as LZOS , correct made testreports show real quality, not high mouth claim quality :-)

Carl Zeiss Jena write that apos with 95 % strehl are called excellent corrected optics , the Aries like my LZOS are withhin the Zeiss claim , means spherical correction is as close as the best companys can do and the startest show a text booked startest, if that answere your question

So yes Aries guarantees also above 95 % Strehl , just like Zeiss did and as LZOS does.

If Valery permits that we sell the scopes with Testreport, we will do it of course

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Aries 178 mm F/8 doublet Fluorite Apo [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5304013 - 07/05/12 04:15 PM

Price Reduction US $ 16,500 EX Germany , Net Export price

means European buyers add 19% VAT, foreigner customers pay here own import dutie

1 pc in stock

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1831

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics