Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
A “NEW APPROACH” FOR TESTING OPTICAL TRAINS new
      #5302391 - 07/04/12 02:48 PM

A “NEW APPROACH” FOR TESTING OPTICAL TRAINS

By Samuel de Roa

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: A “NEW APPROACH” FOR TESTING OPTICAL TRAINS new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5303560 - 07/05/12 10:58 AM

Magnum opus!

First class effort. Though, I wonder if the method ignores the interplay between different scope designs and different eyepiece designs. Put another way, would the fact that Eyepiece A behaves one way in an SCT's complex optical system and another way in a slow achromat's simpler optical system affect how that eyepiece, as part of the system, renders the image?

Of course, that might be precisely your point; it's a system level test, not really an eyepiece-in-isolation test, and you invite us all to give it a try using our own optical trains.

In any case, thank you Samuel.

Regards,

Jim

MADRID SKY
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Madrid, SPAIN
Re: A “NEW APPROACH” FOR TESTING OPTICAL TRAINS [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5304985 - 07/06/12 08:23 AM

Hi Jim,

Yes, this report does try to remark an eyepiece would behave in a different way depending on variables, being telescope design one of the most important of them. Thus, you should find a good "combo" that hits the "spot" you are looking for.

That's why I began testing... I wanted the BEST planetary eyepiece for my eyepiece-projection setup.

It is a bit nonsense to talk about eyepiece-insolated test. We all wish that could happen! An "sterilized" test on eyepieces that can be applied universally to all situations (scope design). But you will never use eyepiece away from a scope, won't you?

So this kind of testing is trustworthy FOR YOUR EQUIPMENT *ONLY*. You can assort your glass easily (though you need to invest some good hours work and buy some hardware). As you may have read, I believe some "top winner" could also be "top winner" in another design.

Thank you so for your comments. But no praises are accepted. This report is the outcome of my own need... I never meant to do it "for others", but for myself.

Bless!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1432

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics