Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: RobbW]
      #5365910 - 08/13/12 05:21 AM

Swapping the connectors for the motors on the MC board will test the MC board and DEC motor. If after swapping the connectors, and the DEC motor still does not work, it is not the MC board. (You will have to push the appropriate direction buttons) If the RA motor does not work, and the DEC motor now works, then the MC board is at fault.

Stan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobbW
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5366643 - 08/13/12 03:04 PM

Thanks, Stan. That makes sense. My only problem with that is that whenever I take the housings off the motors, I'm always able to get the DEC motor working again. I don't know if it is just jiggling the wires/connectors around that makes it start working again or what?!?! Then I'll put the mount all back together and test it some more. The DEC motor continues to work and everything seems hunky dory. That is until the next time I actually take my scope out into the field. Then the DEC motor stops working for me again. In the past, it would operate properly for about an hour or so before it stopped working. Now, it just doesn't work from the get-go. I have no idea what to make of the situation.

The couple of times I've had the mount inside to take off the covers and inspect everything, I did not have my OTA on the mount. I just had the mount on the tripod while working on it. So, I don't know if it is the DEC motor really starting to go out and it is able to work fine with no load on it. And then once I put the OTA and counterweights on, it is too much for the the DEC motor. Or maybe there is something else loose somewhere, and packing up my mount and transporting it knocks that connection loose every time. I don't know. So, I am going to start by replacing the cheaper parts inside and then test it out under full load. If the DEC motor still cr@ps out on me, then I know it is either the motor itself or the Motor Board. At that point, I will perform your test to see if it is the motor or the board. We'll see!

Robb

RobbW
sage

#5374068 - 08/18/12 12:21 AM

UPS says replacement parts should be delivered this coming Tuesday. So, now my question is: does ordering mundane, internal repair parts invoke the astronomy curse? I would hope not. It's not like this is some new EP or other astro toy that I'm really excited to get. I'm just trying to fix my broken mount!

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
      #5374100 - 08/18/12 12:54 AM

I had an intermitent problem with my CG5ASGT. it finally went all out and stopped working completely (the dec).
turned out to be a broken wire. the wire was broken on the inside, but no damage to the insulation. I found it by stretching the wires.

Theo

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5374146 - 08/18/12 02:32 AM

Quote:

UPS says replacement parts should be delivered this coming Tuesday. So, now my question is: does ordering mundane, internal repair parts invoke the astronomy curse? I would hope not. It's not like this is some new EP or other astro toy that I'm really excited to get. I'm just trying to fix my broken mount!

Ordering the parts doesn't. Getting the mount fixed an working does.

RobbW
sage

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: EFT]
      #5380314 - 08/22/12 01:05 AM

All the small, inexpensive parts I ordered came in today. I completely set up my scope assembly this time including mount, tripod, OTA, and counterweights. I wanted to test if the DEC motor was simply wearing out and couldn't handle the full load anymore. Unfortunately, the DEC motor wouldn't work with or without the full load. So, it seems it was completely gone this time and had nothing to do with the weight of my scope and gear on the mount.

I proceeded to take all the plastic covers off the mount to perform more test before I started swapping out parts. I checked to make sure the RA motor still worked fine, which it did. I then disconnected the RA motor's wire connector from the Motor Control Board (MCB)and attached the DEC motor's wire connector in its place. Pressing the slew buttons on the hand control, I still could not get the DEC motor to operate. Connected the RA motor back up to the MCB, and it worked fine again. So, this is definitely making me lean more toward it being an issue with the DEC motor than with any of the control or power boards.

However, before I resort to ordering a new DEC motor, I want to replace the DEC port and Power Board with the new ones I bought, just to be sure. So, I swapped out those parts and hooked everything back up. Still, the DEC motor would not turn.

I then decided to start fiddling with all the wires to see if it was a damaged wire. While continuously holding down the North slew button, I started jiggling all the wire connections and bending all the wires. Nothing happened. Then I unplugged the encoder wire connector from the bottom of the DEC motor and plugged it back in. Suddenly, I got a very brief but very fast slew from the DEC motor. And then I got the "No Response 17" error on the Hand Control.

I powered the mount off and back on again to clear the error message. Tried slewing the DEC motor again and the same thing happened. Very fast but short movement from the DEC motor followed by the "No Response 17" message. I powered off/on my mount again, and this time I removed the cap from the encoder wheel on the bottom of the DEC motor. After removing the cap, I was able to continuously slew the DEC motor.

However, something was definitely wrong with it. The slew rate was exceptionally fast. Much faster than I'd ever seen it before, and the motor was extremely loud. I tried adjusting the slew rate from 9 down to 5, but the DEC motor still moved at the same ultra-fast speed regardless of what slew rate I set. The RA motor operated at the correct speed for whatever slew rate I set, but the DEC motor stayed in afterburner mode. Not only that, but the DEC motor wouldn't stop immediately after I let go of the slew button. It would continue to slew for 2-3 seconds before finally stopping.

I put the cap back on the encoder wheel and kept fiddling with its wire connection to see if that was the culprit. Unfortunately, messing with the wires didn't seem to affect anything. After running the DEC motor in this super fast rate for a bit, it started throwing up the "No Response 17" error again. I could press "UNDO" to clear the error, but then the DEC motor wouldn't work anymore. The RA motor still worked perfectly fine this entire time. After power cycling the mount again, the DEC motor is now giving the "No Response 17" error pretty much every time and is only operating in the super-fast slew rate intermittently (maybe once in every 3-4 tries after power cycling).

After messing with this for about 1.5 hours, I gave up. I cleaned up all my parts and put my mount back together. I resolved to simply order a new DEC motor as everything I tested out seems to point to it being the problem.

I placed my order with Celestron tonight and will patiently (or not) await its delivery. I can only hope that the new DEC motor will finally clear away all my problems, and I can have a properly working CG5 mount again.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5380439 - 08/22/12 03:35 AM

Did you check the air gap on the encoder wheel? The air gap between the optical pick up on the encoder and the surface of the encoder wheel should be set at about .035" to .045". Be very careful when setting or measuring the air gap as the encoder wheel is made of glass and is fragile.

Stan

RobbW
sage

#5381137 - 08/22/12 01:58 PM

No, I did not, Stan. I have no tools for making small measurements like that. Besides, I've fooled around with this thing long enough for my liking. I just went ahead and ordered a new DEC motor. When it comes in, I will install it and hope that all my issues go away!

RobbW
sage

#5392433 - 08/28/12 11:30 PM

New DEC motor arrived via UPS today. After the kids went to bed, I took the covers off my mount and replaced the motor. The difference and improvement in its performance was immediately obvious. I put the covers back on and loaded the mount up with OTA and counterweights. After 30 minutes of testing, everything is whirring like clockwork!

Turns out there is one small problem though. When I was disassembling my scope and moving everything out of my kitchen, I found my power supply to be leaking an unknown liquid. Closer inspection revealed it to be sulfuric acid leaking out of the battery. Yeesh! Another part needing replacement!

RobbW
sage

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: EFT]
      #5397170 - 08/31/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ordering the parts doesn't. Getting the mount fixed an working does.

I apologize to everyone for fixing my mount and replacing the battery in my power supply. I had no idea it would result in Issac socking us in for the whole weekend!

ptsouth97

Reged: 03/04/12

#5487621 - 10/24/12 08:49 PM

My CG-5's declination motor stopped working, as well. After reading through this thread, I took the plastic casing off of the RA and declination drives and started poking around. At this point, I was still able to run the RA drive. Then, everything stopped working. I quickly realized that the red light on the power cord from my Celestron Power tank was no longer glowing. I disassembled it and found a blown fuse. I took a trip to an auto part shop and bought a 5 pack of replacement fuses. I popped a new one in and tested it for continuity and everything was fine. However, as soon as I plugged it into the scope, the fuse blew again. Any ideas here? If something is making contact and shorting out somewhere, I sure don't see it.

Thanks,
Blake

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: ptsouth97]
      #5487797 - 10/24/12 10:51 PM

Check the wires to the motor. They have been known to rub on the motor cases and short out.

Stan

jchoy46

Reged: 02/08/12

Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #5488185 - 10/25/12 08:24 AM

also stop using the on/ off switch... they have gremlins and short out the scope!

ptsouth97

#5488188 - 10/25/12 08:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Visually, the wires look ok and the connections seem tight. I'm showing a closed circuit from the motor board to the motors with a continuity test. Every time I put a new fuse into my power cord from the power tank, it blows almost instantly. I have power tanks/power cords and the same thing happens to both. Any other ideas?

ptsouth97

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: jchoy46]
      #5488190 - 10/25/12 08:31 AM

By stop using, I assume you mean just leave it on? I can handle that but would need an explanation for anything more complicated.

ptsouth97

#5488205 - 10/25/12 08:44 AM

I just tried replacing the fuse and plugging in the power cord to the power board with the power switch on. Same result: blown fuse immediately.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5488225 - 10/25/12 09:02 AM

By "closed circuit," you mean a dead short? For starters, examine the circuit board for any signs of burned components.

ptsouth97

Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: rmollise]
      #5488569 - 10/25/12 12:36 PM

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology as I'm new to this. When I said closed circuit, I was just saying I put the leads from the continuity tester on both sides of a particular element and the bulb on the tester lit up. I thought that meant the current was flowing through so the circuit was "closed."

I don't see anything on the circuit board that looks burned. How obvious should it be? One thing I noticed is that some of the wires have a slight yellow discoloration to them. However, again, I'm showing that they are still working with the continuity test. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5488779 - 10/25/12 02:52 PM

What I would advise, other than the usual...check can clean all connections, is have a buddy with some electronics experience check things out. If you are getting continuity between an input and an output on the PCB, something is badly wrong (unless what you are checking chassis ground or something...

jchoy46

Reged: 02/08/12

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: CG5 declination motor just stopped working! new [Re: rmollise]
      #5489935 - 10/26/12 10:05 AM

i just leave the switch on and unplug the power cord to turn it off and when i want to use it, i just plug it in. CG%'s have a known bug with the power switches. So I dont use mine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4236

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics