Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
bloodhound31
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/01/07

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: Toml08]
      #6030455 - 08/17/13 08:32 AM

Thanks Tom.

[B]Finishing up.
[/B]
If someone at church this weekend asks me, "How was your week? I would have to begin by saying, "WELL... WHERE DO I START - HOW MUCH TIME HAVE YOU GOT!?

I got some BIG NEWS last week that I can't yet let on about, but needless to say I have a very short time to get everything finished.

I've had a couple of friends over every day and every night working until late at night painting, plastering fixing wall-joiners and preparing for the carpet layers.

To add to our tight deadline, I have mysteriously injured my shoulder and am unable to lift anything heavy. It's been totally weird in that if I keep moving it feels ok, but if I stop and sit still I'm in agony.

anyway, one of my mates from work has been an absolute champion painting for me, even popping by at lunch time for half an hour on a work day to get things done.

We gave the inside of the dome a second coat of flat black paint, re-oiled the stairs and woodwork upstairs again and painted the plasterboard ceiling downstairs. At least I got to use my left arm a bit with the paint-brush and cut in the edges ahead of my friend with the roller.

My family electrician friend is away on holidays for a month, presenting me with the difficulty of finding another who can understand the wiring already routed and then finish the job - for the right price too!

The carpet layers arrived this morning, bringing with them WAAAAAY better carpet and underlay than the old stuff I had found second-hand.

These two guys were like magicians. They worked tirelessly throughout the day to lay, cut-in and join the carpets both upstairs on the observation deck and downstairs in the lounge area. Their skills were amazing to watch in action.

I couldn't believe how beautiful it turned out upstairs. The room is completely transformed. I was still reeling with pleasure when I saw the finished result downstairs! Wow.

With a final vacuum and a couple of Italian chairs tactically positioned, it looks good enough to live in.

Tomorrow I have a hardware tradie coming in to help me fix the two dome doors that roll sideways. The sliders I have used are not coping and have popped all their roller bearings all over the lawn below. Over the next few days I'll bring in the rest of the furniture and reinstall the telescopes and computer. The wiring leading from the house is not yet heavy duty enough to run heaters, kettle, toaster, fridge and everything else, so I will just get the lighting and power-points installed then upgrade the feed line later. I have to dig up the original 600mm deep trench and put in a thicker conduit plus add a data cable.

FULL STORY HERE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricP
sage

Reged: 11/09/07

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: bloodhound31]
      #6034717 - 08/19/13 02:51 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Looks like a professional observatory.

Is there a magazine article in your near future?

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: EricP]
      #6035006 - 08/19/13 05:30 PM

That is totally amazing!!

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: Mary B]
      #6036433 - 08/20/13 12:46 PM

Holy Pasta Fazoli!!!

WOW, you place looks fantastic. I'm just a functional kind of guy with my observatory but I do envy your setup. Very, very nice.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: Mary B]
      #6036434 - 08/20/13 12:46 PM

Absolutely beautiful!

bloodhound31
professor emeritus

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: hm insulators]
      #6037831 - 08/21/13 07:44 AM

Thanks heaps folks!

Now that the carpets are done, the electricians have visited and are about to start work in the next few days. In the meantime I have a little grace time to put in some trimmings.

1. I found some high density foam that is easy to carve with a blade and is sand-able. Not sure how it's going to look but I'm hoping once I paint it white to match the ceiling, it should look ok and certainly better than the ugly square hole around the top of the post.

2 & 3. Mitred dressed-all-round timber (DAR) for edging.

4. I had a few problems surrounding the threshold. The bolts protrude through the carpet are a trip hazard and also a fray point for the carpet. The carpet is smooth-edged to the threshold, but it is also higher, meaning that it will eventually work its way out. The threshold is also flat so water can migrate across it from under the door. I've solved all these issues with a fitted wooden plate that covers the edge, the bolts making them level with the surface and providing an edge to stop the water coming in.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6038050 - 08/21/13 10:33 AM

You're right ... looks good enough to live in! All you need now is a wide screen TV downstairs!

-Dan

bloodhound31
professor emeritus

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6041230 - 08/23/13 04:41 AM

Quote:

You're right ... looks good enough to live in! All you need now is a wide screen TV downstairs!

-Dan

Yep! It will!

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#6048886 - 08/27/13 01:45 PM

Quote:

-Dan

And tune it to NFL (American) football, and it's paradise!

bloodhound31
professor emeritus

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: hm insulators]
      #6051926 - 08/29/13 04:31 AM

No, this is not the, "BIG news" (that is coming very soon) but I got ASIGN Observatory II on the radio last month.

Click here to listen to the radio interview.

Audio file is down the page a little on the right.

Baz.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6052199 - 08/29/13 09:59 AM

I must say that I think the ASIGN Observatory takes first prize for beauty, craftsmanship, and endurance in building it!

It is absolutely amazing, what you have accomplished!

tclehman1969
sage

Reged: 05/18/10

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #6052605 - 08/29/13 01:48 PM

Your observatory is truly amazing! And with your downstairs lounge, hang a monitor or two showing live views of whatever your scope is pointing at for any outreach or other star parties and then shuffle people up stairs to get a live look.

Awesome setup!

bloodhound31
professor emeritus

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: tclehman1969]
      #6058806 - 09/02/13 08:18 AM

^^^^ Thanks heaps girls and guys!

bloodhound31
professor emeritus

#6058807 - 09/02/13 08:19 AM

Through trials and tribulations, false starts and disappointments, many things seemed to conspire to come against getting the electricity done, especially on my non-exsistant budget.

I had to remind myself of the amount of times things have come against the different stages of this project and the subsequent amount of times when God's timing has been absolutely perfect to kick it off again. Nothing has happened before I was ready for it.

Finally, a qualified and experienced electrician donated a full Saturday to connect all the cabling that had already been run by another sparky. He translated all the cables, connected all the fittings and even donated a couple of his own to get the job finished. All this for a couple of cups of good coffee, a BBQ lunch cooked by my lovely wife and some home made hot-buttered banana cake baked by mum.

He switched the mains back on and PRESTO!!!! It all worked perfectly first go!

Not only that, but as the electricity was finalised last night, in perfect timing again, I got a phone call today from a friend asking if I needed a very large flat screen television.

He arrived this afternoon with the shiny black beauty which I plugged into a DVD player and away it went.

Apparently this thing was destined for the skip bin! It works perfectly and looks fantastic!

Now to just get the sucker mounted to the wall!

For a bit of balance in the room, I got the idea to make some wooden furniture in the form of a coffee table in front of the TV and also one in between the chairs for a lamp and remotes etc.

We cut down a very large dead eucalypt last week and one of the guys was good enough to cut me a couple of slabs off the base of the trunk as I have an injury at the moment that prevents me from overdoing it for a while. It was so big it lay in the tray of my ute for a few days before one of the boys dropped around to unload it for me. The top slab must weigh over 200 kilograms.

At lunch-time today I planed, sanded and de-barked them.

After some pensive moments and a short-black coffee that are often required after a sawdust shower, I hit them with a coat of boiled linseed oil.

My next door neighbour helped me roll them off the driveway, across the lawn and into the observatory.

Full story and photos HERE.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6058982 - 09/02/13 10:32 AM

I'm continually amazed at how you recycle wood, and make it a very beautiful addition to the observatory! Those tables absolutely fit in perfectly; along with your beautiful railing & stairs!

Many years ago, a gentleman was selling large redwood slabs. I bought one, and when I moved out of town; put it on two stumps. Plywood in between for support and for securing with screws to the stumps. I applied a satin clear coat, and it is absolutely beautiful as my coffee table!

Kudos to the very kind gentleman that donated his time & expertise to complete the wiring!

bloodhound31
professor emeritus

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6060526 - 09/03/13 06:32 AM

Quote:

I'm continually amazed at how you recycle wood, and make it a very beautiful addition to the observatory! Those tables absolutely fit in perfectly; along with your beautiful railing & stairs!

Many years ago, a gentleman was selling large redwood slabs. I bought one, and when I moved out of town; put it on two stumps. Plywood in between for support and for securing with screws to the stumps. I applied a satin clear coat, and it is absolutely beautiful as my coffee table!

Thanks mate!

Kudos to the very kind gentleman that donated his time & expertise to complete the wiring!

The stuff is everywhere and is often burned or tipped somewhere to rot. Why not use it?

TV is mounted now.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6060552 - 09/03/13 07:05 AM

Beautiful! Love the brass telescope. And the Assign Observatory graphic on the TV is a nice touch!

Now ... where's the bathroom going to be?

-Dan

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
      #6061425 - 09/03/13 06:07 PM

Forgive me if I missed it earlier in this thread, but what is the origin of the name Asign?
Michael

Scott Busby

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: Spotsylvania County, N. VA
Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! [Re: MHamburg]
      #6061571 - 09/03/13 08:02 PM

Man, I want to come over and have some beers in your ultimate astronomy Man Cave.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!! [Re: Scott Busby]
      #6062687 - 09/04/13 01:24 PM

Beautiful work on the table! Wonder how much a plane ticket from Phoenix to Australia would be.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22894

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics