Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5379781 - 08/21/12 05:33 PM

No dark nebulae in the Great Atlas. As far as I can tell, that's one of it's very few shortcomings.
I hope everyone gets their atlas, and nothing weird is happening. (Don't know why there would be; there IS actually an atlas, and it's a really fine one.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5379972 - 08/21/12 08:20 PM

Quote:

No dark nebulae in the Great Atlas. As far as I can tell, that's one of it's very few shortcomings.
I hope everyone gets their atlas, and nothing weird is happening. (Don't know why there would be; there IS actually an atlas, and it's a really fine one.)

I'm not worried. I have all the patience in the world. I missed out on the Millenium atlas and the HB atlas. I wasn't going to let this one get my me.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5380098 - 08/21/12 10:01 PM

I think what might be going on is that each copy of GAS is printed, put together and shipped on demand as orders are received. There might not be much quantity on hand. Or perhaps the GAS are already printed, but they still must be put together, which takes time. It may be more or less a one-man or small team operation at this point.

Is there really much demand for a Great (= huge, heavy, hard copy) Atlas of the Sky in these digital times? Personally, I'm rethinking my need for such a thing after using SkySafari Pro on my tablet almost exclusively for the last half-dozen trips to my dark site - especially after realizing that the GAS doesn't have dark nebulae, which would have been useful since SSP lacks them in any useful form.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5380328 - 08/22/12 01:24 AM

Quote:

Is there really much demand for a Great (= huge, heavy, hard copy) Atlas of the Sky in these digital times?

Absolutely! I don't have, nor do I need (at this time), any digital star charting capabilities. I'm strictly a hardcopy chart man; and I don't think I'm alone.
If the SkyGX had been printed, I and a lot of others would have scraped together our gold grickles and plunked for copies. We may be the old school, and eventually fade away; but right now, we're here, and we want big, heavy, hardcopy atlases!

Printing the Tri-Atlas would be an attractive thought; I may do that one day.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5380361 - 08/22/12 01:56 AM

Quote:

I'm strictly a hardcopy chart man; and I don't think I'm alone.

We may be the old school, and eventually fade away; but right now, we're here, and we want big, heavy, hardcopy atlases!

+1

Stephan

klassikmann

Reged: 02/07/05

Loc: south of Frankfurt/Germany
      #5380451 - 08/22/12 03:56 AM

Quote:

I did it! I took the A4 version of the C-Set and printed the 570 pages on A3 paper (297 x 420mm), which helps in reading the more overcrowded areas. The atlas is now contained in two A3 ring binders. The pages are secured with reinforcement rings. See also here

btw.: I ordered the Great Atlas July 27th and I received it last week, which is not so surprisingly fast as you might think, because Germany is the western neighbor of Poland.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5380626 - 08/22/12 08:09 AM

Rick,

Quote:

Absolutely! I don't have, nor do I need (at this time), any digital star charting capabilities. I'm strictly a hardcopy chart man; and I don't think I'm alone.

A digital star atlas on a light-weight tablet can be advantageous for those who don't have an observatory.

Quote:

I've downloaded all the files for the Tri-Atlas and I have them on my desktop computer, but I've never printed them out or copied them to my tablet. I might do the latter. IIRC, though, there was something about the Tri-Atlas that did not appeal to me. Well, I suppose there must have been, since I'm not using it. After experiencing SkySafariPro, I don't think any hard copy atlas or series of pdf files could compare for efficiency and convenience.

On the other hand, before I started using SSP, I bought some used copies of Uranometria, cut out all the charts, slipped them into clear plastic overlays, and bound them in about a dozen labeled folders. I take them with me in a police-style equipment bag when I go to the dark site. Since SSP does not show dark nebulae very well, and Uranometria does show the DN as discretely bounded entities, the printed charts should come in handy when I'm trying to locate and observe dark nebulae.

I would prefer, though, that SSP incorporate more realistic representations of dark nebulae.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5381173 - 08/22/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

Rick,

Quote:

A digital star atlas on a light-weight tablet can be advantageous for those who don't have an observatory.

Well, true enough, I guess; but I felt the same way before I had an observatory.
Having one doesn't really make the chart situation a whole lot easier, like you may think; you still have all the same problems (charts or tablet on a table, etc), you're just indoors. But it is more convenient being able to store them out there.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
      #5381183 - 08/22/12 02:26 PM

Quote:

I don't have, nor do I need (at this time), any digital star charting capabilities. I'm strictly a hardcopy chart man; and I don't think I'm alone.
If the SkyGX had been printed, I and a lot of others would have scraped together our gold grickles and plunked for copies. We may be the old school, and eventually fade away; but right now, we're here, and we want big, heavy, hardcopy atlases!

I also agree. Many years in the future this Atlas will still be usable, where as current digital technology may go the way if the 4-track player, and you then have to buy the equivalant of an 8-track, and on, and on, and on; for those of you who are old enough to remember.

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5381218 - 08/22/12 02:46 PM

I love both. What Sky Safari and others like it have going for it is the ability to hit the "info" button and a ton of useful data pops up. Now what would really be nice is to have another button called "Object Description/Notes" which would have Burnham's or NSOG descriptions come up.

As for the TriAtlas, I have all 3 series on my laptop and my IPAD. To make it run smother on the IPAD I took all chart groups and made each chart an individual PDF. So now all I have to do is use the A Series Chart index, then from there jump to the appropriate A series chart, then from there go to either the B or C series chart. It is a lot faster than opening up a group of charts and scrolling up and down.

I have printed out various pages from each series to use in the field, but with my eyes getting older it sure is nice to have the ability to zoom in on the IPAD.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5381221 - 08/22/12 02:48 PM

I had an 8-track in my '70 Chevy Nova.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5382529 - 08/23/12 10:56 AM Attachment (32 downloads)

Recieved our copy today. Very well packed, triple boxed with styrafoam blocks surrounding the charts.

A Double Wow!!, from both my Wife and I.

Diffraction limited cup not included.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5382601 - 08/23/12 11:30 AM

Congrat Mike ! You will like it !

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5382630 - 08/23/12 11:48 AM

The only visible imperfections noted were that chart #58 had a slight wrinkle at the bottom edge, and chart #38 was missing a hole punched for the binder; no big deal, I'm good at DIY.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5382688 - 08/23/12 12:21 PM

Probably got another month here in the US before we start to see them.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5382708 - 08/23/12 12:38 PM

Our copy came by " PARCEL + FORCE WORLDWIDE " delivery.
Looks like it took them awhile to process on their end. The mailing date appears to be August 17, 2012 which works out to about a week in transit.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5382788 - 08/23/12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks Andre, I do already.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5382934 - 08/23/12 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Andre, I do already.

Let us know how you will appreciate it. To me, this atlas let me to travel in space sit at my table.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5382960 - 08/23/12 02:53 PM

In case anyone missed it in a thread a year or so ago:
It's a good idea to get a pack of those donut-shaped reinforcements for the binder holes. They tend to rip kind of easy, and you may want to repair them on the spot. I keep a pack of them in the binder, and just do it as needed; some folks did the whole atlas right away.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5383001 - 08/23/12 03:12 PM

Yes, the reinforcement rings idea was discussed in the CN thread The Last, Great Printed Star Atlas

Stephan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17161

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics