Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5389597 - 08/27/12 11:40 AM

I think the way some folks are getting around the constant zooming in and out while using SSP is that they set up observation lists which allow them to jump directly to the selected object. This requires some planning to be done prior to the observing session though.

In the case of printed star atlases you still have the equivalent of zooming in/out in that you have to flip pages which can be time consuming (and in some cases have to grab a different volume).

There is a 3rd way, load up a bunch of PDF based charts (ie TriAtlas A/B/C series) onto the IPAD.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5389697 - 08/27/12 12:34 PM

Rodger,

Quote:

You know something that hasn't been mentioned is how limiting digital atlases are. I have Sky Safari Pro on my Itouch and Ipad. Before I got my Ipad it was basically unusable because of the small screen on the Itouch. Same would be true for an Iphone. The Ipad makes it more usable, but if you put it on a Mac, now your carrying around something that weighs as much as a printed star atlas.

I always thought that having a star atlas on a phone or any device that small would give too contrictive a view. I never even attempted it.

So a couple years ago I tried SkyTools3 on a "mini"-laptop. I like to hold any star atlas - whether printed or electronic - in my hands while I'm observing at the eyepiece. I want to make a direct comparison between the star field in the eyepiece and the configuration on the chart, no jumping back and forth to a star atlas on a table or in the van. The laptop's screen did give a larger view but though the laptop was supposed to be "mini," it was still too heavy to hold more than a couple minutes. I only used it twice at my dark site.

Everything changed when I bought an Android tablet last winter. SkySafari Pro gives me nearly everything I need in a star atlas - they keep making improvements - in a light-weight format that I can hold for hours at a time. Problem solved.

Quote:

Another drawback is the constant zooming in and out and in and out. A printed sky atlas is already at its max resolution. So I just look at that region of the sky and look through my telescope. Very easy. Maybe when they make an Ipad with a screen that's 11"X17", then I'll consider going all digital. But then again I can't make any notes on it. Darn!

The constant zooming may be necessary for an iPhone or other device with a small screen. I do not zoom constantly with my tablet, which IIRC, is about 11" long. But if I need to zoom, it is easy and quick by either a two-finger sweep or on-screen buttons. I don't see that it's a problem. I like being able to change the image scale on-the-fly.

And I can make notes on each object in SSP on the tablet.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5389704 - 08/27/12 12:40 PM

Dave,

Quote:

I think the way some folks are getting around the constant zooming in and out while using SSP is that they set up observation lists which allow them to jump directly to the selected object. This requires some planning to be done prior to the observing session though.

That's exactly what I do. I only bother going to my dark site on a clear night or two (three nights if I'm lucky) around New Moon. So I have the rest of the month to set up an observing list geared to my telescope, the date I'll be at the dark site, and the objects I want to see - usually only objects I've never seen before.

Quote:

In the case of printed star atlases you still have the equivalent of zooming in/out in that you have to flip pages which can be time consuming (and in some cases have to grab a different volume).

There is a 3rd way, load up a bunch of PDF based charts (ie TriAtlas A/B/C series) onto the IPAD.

Zooming and searching in SkySafari Pro on a tablet is much quicker and easier than either of those options.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5389945 - 08/27/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Edit: Yep, I just ordered one. At least SOMEbody listens to me!

Rick, did you really ordered another one ?

Heh, it took me a minute to understand what you were asking.

No; I ordered a Cambridge Atlas of Herschel Objects. The thing I was trying to talk Sarkikos into liking.
I considered ordering another Great Atlas, since the price is so good; but my good sense prevailed. It's really big, and I don't plan to abuse the one I have.

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5389957 - 08/27/12 03:27 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

Quote:

Zooming and searching in SkySafari Pro on a tablet is much quicker and easier than either of those options.

True. But I am an old fashioned chart reader. I am attaching a section of the TriAtlas A-11 chart near Ophiuchus. I really like this wide overview the chart provides with a significant number of observable objects shown. Something that is hard to achieve with SSP IMHO.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5390130 - 08/27/12 05:22 PM

Yes. I really like the ease of searching and zooming in Sky Safari Pro, but also I really like the large overview that only a large printed atlas such as Sky Atlas 2000 can provide. Who says you can't have it all?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5390157 - 08/27/12 05:39 PM

Yes, I do like the look of that chart of Scutum and its environs from the TriAtlas. And it includes dark nebulae! Maybe I'll go ahead and copy the TriAtlas pdfs to my tablet after all.

Mike

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5390227 - 08/27/12 06:38 PM

Quote:

I considered ordering another Great Atlas, since the price is so good; but my good sense prevailed. It's really big, and I don't plan to abuse the one I have.

Ha !

Mike McShan

Reged: 05/02/06

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: turtle86]
      #5390282 - 08/27/12 07:17 PM

Quote:

Yes. I really like the ease of searching and zooming in Sky Safari Pro, but also I really like the large overview that only a large printed atlas such as Sky Atlas 2000 can provide. Who says you can't have it all?

I like SkySafari on my iPad a lot, too, but interestingly I finally set the display for monochrome like in a printed atlas. For me, it is still the easiest to read display. One real advantage that a digital atlas has over a printed one is that the display can be reversed horizontally or vertically to match the scope you're using. However, I still like a printed atlas best.

Clear skies,
Mike

Rudra

Reged: 07/02/10

#5390439 - 08/27/12 09:15 PM

Quote:

When i have friends and guests come over, they are impressed with the collection of books I have and love flipping though pages of the books and atlases in my small book shelf. Alas, they do not feel the same way about the computer atlases. For them those are just another piece of software, they would not be using ever.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Mike McShan]
      #5390948 - 08/28/12 07:19 AM

Quote:

I like SkySafari on my iPad a lot, too, but interestingly I finally set the display for monochrome like in a printed atlas.

Monochrome is the best way to display SSP in the dark in any case, since you really should place a red filter such as Rubylinth over the screen. I use a sheet of Rubylinth plus a sheet of Astrogizmo to get the appropriate light level for dark sky.

Mike

Mike McShan

#5390982 - 08/28/12 08:12 AM

Quote:

Monochrome is the best way to display SSP in the dark in any case, since you really should place a red filter such as Rubylinth over the screen. I use a sheet of Rubylinth plus a sheet of Astrogizmo to get the appropriate light level for dark sky.

Agree 100% about using the Rubylinth filter - it is the only effective way to prevent accidental unwanted white light flashes. I don't know about Astrogizmo though, so I need to check it out.

Thanks,
Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5390998 - 08/28/12 08:28 AM

I advise against using Astrogizmo by itself. The film is not dark enough and it lets through colors besides red! What good is that? But it sticks to the tablet's screen better than the Rubylinth. Together, they are a good combination that reaches an appropriate level of dimness for dark sky.

Mike

Mike McShan

#5391010 - 08/28/12 08:36 AM

Quote:

I advise against using Astrogizmo by itself. The film is not dark enough and it lets through colors besides red! What good is that? But it sticks to the tablet's screen better than the Rubylinth.

OK, that's good to know. I looked at www.astrogizmos.com/ - lots of interesting stuff there, especially that bino chair!

Mike

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5391537 - 08/28/12 01:51 PM

Actually, I find that using Astrogizmos film *plus* the SSP night vision mode works just fine.

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
      #5394629 - 08/30/12 10:15 AM

I have found the Sky Safari app on my iPad to be a wonderful companion at the telescope. I now want to hook up DSCs to the scope and interface it with the iPad.

My back is starting to complain about looking up through the telrad

Jason

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5394650 - 08/30/12 10:28 AM

Quote:

Actually, I find that using Astrogizmos film *plus* the SSP night vision mode works just fine.

That might be OK unless you switch back and forth between SSP and other apps. But in any case I believe my Android tablet shows white function "buttons" at the lower edge of the screen. They would bleed through the AstroGizmo.

Mike

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5394741 - 08/30/12 11:10 AM

Getting back on topic. First person in North America to receive their copy using the "economy shipping option (2 to 3 months) should post about it.

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
      #5394772 - 08/30/12 11:33 AM

I ordered mine this morning with the expedited shipping and will let you guys know when it arrives.

Jason

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Undermidnight]
      #5418838 - 09/13/12 09:54 AM

I purchased a first copy one year ago at regular price.

I purchased a second copy at saleout price on August 04, 2012. It reached Switzerland after one month, passed Swiss Customs processing on September 12, and was delivered to me September 13, in well-packed and perfect condition.

Thank you, Piotr!

Stephan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16922

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics