Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5453108 - 10/03/12 06:37 AM

Quote:

They said it got shipped Sep 15th, but stll haven't heard aythng,

Did you use regular or express shipping? I used regular, and it took about 7 weeks to arrive. But the web site said it could take as long as three months. Hurry up and wait!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5453212 - 10/03/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They said it got shipped Sep 15th, but stll haven't heard aythng,

Did you use regular or express shipping? I used regular, and it took about 7 weeks to arrive. But the web site said it could take as long as three months. Hurry up and wait!

You could ask Piotr for the tracking number so you'll have a better idea of when you'll receive it. Mine took almost exactly two months to arrive. Well worth the wait. Still on the fence about installing those pesky reinforcement rings!

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5453231 - 10/03/12 09:00 AM

I finished installing the reinforcement rings on both sides of each chart. I decided that having all the reinforced pages in the binder made things a little too tight for my liking, so I took Mike E's suggestion and removed charts #239-298 that I will rarely if ever use and stored them in the original box. Now the charts flip around the binder's rings more easily and the binder weighs a bit less.

I love the detail on these charts! I am going to get one of those narrow picture frame shelves that mount on the wall and give the atlas a special display place since it certainly won't fit on any of my book shelves.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5453395 - 10/03/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

I love the detail on these charts! I am going to get one of those narrow picture frame shelves that mount on the wall and give the atlas a special display place since it certainly won't fit on any of my book shelves.

I often need the PSA to find myself in this great atlas

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5453730 - 10/03/12 03:30 PM

Mine CAME today!!! I ordered mine on August 3rd, and it came October 3rd, two months to the day. The outside box absorbed all the violence of delivery, and the inside box and all the charts were in great shape! Very impressed, and very happy!

Now I've gotta get a 55 gallon drum full of those reinforcing rings... I haven't used any of those for years, and back in the olden days when I did, I remember the ones you'd lick and stick on worked well, but the peel and stick ones tended to come loose. Hopefully, adhesive technology has improved over the past 40 years or so. What kind have you people been using?
Marty

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: bumm]
      #5453746 - 10/03/12 03:41 PM

I reinforced my holes on just one side. I'm talking about the right side opposite the holes where the folds line up. They appear to be so high that I will have trouble closing and zipping the binder.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5453923 - 10/03/12 05:48 PM

Well, came home to a nice surprise on the porch - USPS dropped it off! So that's just a couple of days over 2 months.

I'm seriously considering getting the maps hardcover bound in its opened state (ie, 17"x24" format)- will be calling 2 or 3 local binders for a quote this week.

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: core]
      #5454016 - 10/03/12 07:10 PM

Whooo-weee! I always make circles on clear acetate to show the field of my finder scope to help with starhopping... With this atlas, my finder scope will need a circle 6.55 inches in diameter, and my low power 40mm eyepiece will need one .91 inches...
Marty

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

#5454109 - 10/03/12 08:09 PM

Quote:

Well, came home to a nice surprise on the porch - USPS dropped it off! So that's just a couple of days over 2 months.

I'm seriously considering getting the maps hardcover bound in its opened state (ie, 17"x24" format)- will be calling 2 or 3 local binders for a quote this week.

That sounds like an excellent idea. On the whole, I'm very pleased with the atlas but so far, I'm not liking the ring binder all that much. The pages are sometimes hard to turn as they tend to catch where the rings close together. Plus, it would be great to have the pages unfolded. Please let us know what quotes you get from the binders.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: turtle86]
      #5454275 - 10/03/12 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds like an excellent idea. On the whole, I'm very pleased with the atlas but so far, I'm not liking the ring binder all that much. The pages are sometimes hard to turn as they tend to catch where the rings close together. Plus, it would be great to have the pages unfolded. Please let us know what quotes you get from the binders.

On those areas of the binder where the pages catch, take a Dremel tool with rubber sanding wheel or a medium coarse file and lightly sand/file the areas smooth where the pages catch.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

#5454727 - 10/04/12 09:08 AM

Quote:

On those areas of the binder where the pages catch, take a Dremel tool with rubber sanding wheel or a medium coarse file and lightly sand/file the areas smooth where the pages catch.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Photoner
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/06

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: turtle86]
      #5454787 - 10/04/12 09:46 AM

My copy of this incredible atlas showed up yesterday and it is stunning. The Autumn sky is full of galaxies I can't see with my scopes.

I think the postal service sent this from Poland via Europe, Asia and the Pacific Ocean. But it finally got here (IA) in perfect shape thanks to the fabulous packing and double boxing.

Piotr did a fabulous job with this whole thing!!!

Each page is...DEEP! I readily understand the PSA comment above.

Nice Winter project to examine every one of the 296 maps (down to magnitude 12).

Putting on the hole re-enforcers is going to be a project too.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5454808 - 10/04/12 10:00 AM

Quote:

On my second Atlas, I am considering to store the 17"x24" (43cmx61cm) maps opened too, but not permanently bound. There are several options, I have to think about it.

Stephan

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5457822 - 10/06/12 11:49 AM

Tracking shows mine as having just entered the country (Canada).
Now, if only customs doesn't sit on it for a month...soon it will be mine!

DixonAgee

Reged: 01/09/12

Loc: Northern California
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: operascope]
      #5458097 - 10/06/12 03:29 PM

When did you order your copy?

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: operascope]
      #5458099 - 10/06/12 03:31 PM

I was surprised. My delivery to the UK wasn't hit with a value added tax; not that I'm complaning !

deepskytraveler

Reged: 12/25/05

Loc: Worthington, OH
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5458160 - 10/06/12 04:30 PM

Mine arrived yesterday, October 5, after several failed delivery attempts. The postman was insistent on getting my signature in person. No flexibility whatsoever - no wonder the US Postal Service is loosing billions of dollars annually. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

The packaging and Atlas arrived in great shape. Have not started loading it into the binder yet. It is too easy to pick up a page and just get lost in it. First impressions: it is an incredible piece of work, thoughtfully compiled and well executed.

Clear skies,

Mark

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: deepskytraveler]
      #5458166 - 10/06/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

Mine arrived yesterday, October 5, after several failed delivery attempts. The postman was insistent on getting my signature in person. No flexibility whatsoever - no wonder the US Postal Service is loosing billions of dollars annually. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

The packaging and Atlas arrived in great shape. Have not started loading it into the binder yet. It is too easy to pick up a page and just get lost in it. First impressions: it is an incredible piece of work, thoughtfully compiled and well executed.

Clear skies,

Mark

Myself, I don't mind them wanting a signature on expensive items. Often, if they can't deliver a package, they'll leave a note so that I can go to the post office and pick it up. As it was, they just left mine leaned against the front door for anyone and everyone to see.

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
      #5458469 - 10/06/12 09:26 PM

Where is everyone storing this monster size edition? Doesn't come close to fitting on any book shelf.

/Ira

obrazell

Reged: 04/03/05

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5458785 - 10/07/12 04:16 AM

I think that is because

a) It is a book so no VAT

and b) Poland is part of the EU

Owen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17178

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics