Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cloud_cover
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Restaurant at the End of the U...
Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: dvb]
      #4935240 - 11/26/11 04:29 AM

Hi Tong,
There have been some comments that the Orion ultralight structure, which is supposedly similar to yours, has issues with the stiffness of the truss frame.
Any comments about this? )
Also, are there any plans to possibly make a rigid shroud extending up from the upper collar to above the secondary and focuser?
Finally, is it possible to visit your factory in Hong Kong for a hands-on experience?
Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Durval Menezes

Reged: 08/30/10

Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: cloud_cover]
      #5008252 - 01/09/12 12:11 AM

Hello,

Quote:

There have been some comments that the Orion ultralight structure, which is supposedly similar to yours, has issues with the stiffness of the truss frame.
Any comments about this? )

I too would be interested in an answer to this, as flexure could be a problem for collimation. For example, with the scope pointed horizontally and a laser pointer attached to the secondary cage, how much would the laser dot move on a nearby wall when a Nagler 31mm is inserted in the focuser?

Cheers,

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Reged: 05/02/07

Loc: Hong Kong, US
Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: cloud_cover]
      #5131195 - 03/19/12 09:15 PM

I am so sorry for late response. Yes, we will make a secondary baffle later. As for the stiffness, there are two focuser positions. If you use the one which is right on the top of the side truss joint, there will be no collimation shift when scope is pointed from vertical to horizontal. Here is a test report.
http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=852

Here is a customer review for the UL16 structure:
http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=852

Thank you,
Tong

Photoner
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/06

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: hubble-optics]
      #5131513 - 03/20/12 12:43 AM

Great innovation, way to go.

You have a great idea here and it is evident by the current crashing of the astromart site.

A light weight dob is very attractive to a lot of people.

BTW, very attractive introductory price too.

chuen

Reged: 10/13/06

Loc: England
Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: Photoner]
      #5135264 - 03/22/12 10:56 AM

Link to AM review is actually this one:
http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=856

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: chuen]
      #5136368 - 03/22/12 10:41 PM

Hi Chuen,

Thank you for the correction. BTW, here is the collimation test report:
http://hubbleoptics.com/files/UL16CollimationStabilityTestReport.pdf

Thanks,
Tong

andrew0414

Reged: 02/11/12

#5166012 - 04/10/12 10:28 PM

Dear Hubble.
Is it competible with Argo navis digital setting circle and servo cat? If it does I will buy it right now

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: andrew0414]
      #5169677 - 04/13/12 05:16 AM Attachment (67 downloads)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Yes, you should be able to fit Argo navis digital setting circle and a ServoCat without too much effort.

However, you may also consider our own upcoming GoTo system. We will be showing our UL16 GoTo and UL18 GoTo at NEAF later this month.

Thanks,
Tong

Edited by hubble-optics (04/14/12 12:40 PM)

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5169678 - 04/13/12 05:20 AM Attachment (88 downloads)

· The state of art, professional grade, extremely features rich Sitech controller combined with the revolutionary SkySafari running on iPad, iPhones, iPod, or even an Android device.

· A wireless, touch screen based truly 21st-century telescope GoTo system with tracking capability. You simply touch the star and your scope will move to the right target.

· Skysafari is simply the most powerful Planetarium program anywhere, and it is right on your hand. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, period. It includes 15.3 million stars from the Hubble Guide Star catalog, plus 740,000 galaxies down to 18th magnitude, and over 550,000 solar system objects - including every comet and asteroid ever discovered.

· For the advanced users, Sitech offers some most advanced GoTo and Tracking features anywhere you can find, such as circular local search, satellite tracking, and the powerful PointXP Telescope Modeling software by Dave Rowe, which can improve your telescope pointing by a factor of up to 10! And much more…

· Point your scope to NCP or SCP, and turn on the power or press a button; the scope will start to track precisely. Nothing else, it is as simple as this.

· Closed loop drive control with encoder feedback. There is no need to worry about the drive slip or wind gust; the scope will always track precisely.

· Backlash management and compensation is also included.

· With our state of art 10K ALT inclinometer/encoder, there is no need to setup the ALT encoder every time you need to transport your scope.

· There is no need to have another Digital Setting Circle; actually the Sitech controller together with SkySafari will be a touch screen based modern DSC if you are not ready for a complete GoTo yet.

· Easy Self-Installation! No holes need to be drilled, just tight a few screws! It will only take you minutes instead of hours or days to install the entire GoTo system.

· Not only you will have the full support from us, but also the first class supports from many leading experts from Sidereal Technology and Southern Star for any advanced features on the Sitech controller and SkySafari.
http://www.siderealtechnology.com/
http://www.southernstars.com
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/SiTechservo/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/southern_stars/

· The introduction price for the total GoTo option package is $1495, it includes:
Sitech controller (I)
Sitech wired handpad
2 motors and gear boxes
All necessary accessories (all cables and adapter plates)
Two 10K telescope encoder/inclinometer
Skyfi wireless receiver

The introduction price for the Digital Seeting Circle option package is $895, it includes:
Sitech controller (I)
Sitech wired handpad
All necessary accessories (all cables and adapter plates)
Two 10K telescope encoder/inclinometer
Skyfi wireless receiver

· The iPad, iPhone, iPod or Android device is not included in this price. The SkySafari is not included either. You will need SkySafari 3.2 (or later) Plus / Pro. The battery holder is an option at $30.

Thank you,
Tong

Edited by hubble-optics (04/15/12 12:19 PM)

Relativist
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/03

Loc: OC, CA, USA
      #5172295 - 04/14/12 04:17 PM

Any chance of a video of this working?

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: Relativist]
      #5172819 - 04/14/12 10:14 PM

Hi Curtis,

We have just uploaded a small UL16 slewing video at the bottom of this page:
http://hubbleoptics.com/UL16.html

We will upload more after the NEAF!

Tong

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5227802 - 05/18/12 05:49 AM

Proudly named as one of the Astronomy Magazine 2012 Star Products!

Thank you,
Tong

Edited by hubble-optics (05/18/12 05:51 AM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5239678 - 05/25/12 08:27 PM

Looking forward to some reviews by people who have purchased this telescope.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5239681 - 05/25/12 08:28 PM

Question: what strehl or wave front accuracy do you guarantee you primary and secondary mirrors?

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: GeneT]
      #5244794 - 05/28/12 10:23 PM

Hi Gene,

We make sure strehl ratio of 0.95+ for all our primary mirrors and 1/10 wave front or better for the secondary mirrors. Satisfaction guaranteed with your star test!

-Tong

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5319758 - 07/16/12 02:23 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

The professional grade SiTech controller combined with the revolutionary SkySafari will more than double your enjoyment and fun with the Heavens.

http://hubbleoptics.com/GoTo.html

• Professional grade Sidereal Technology controller combined with the revolutionary SkySafari running on iPad, iPhones, iPod Touch, or even an Android device.

• Wireless, touch-screen-based 21st-century GoTo system with tracking capability. You simply touch the star and your scope will move to the right target.

• Skysafari (Pro) features 15.3 million stars, 740,000 galaxies, and 550,000 solar system objects, including all the comets and asteroids ever discovered.

• You can even track a satellite or a comet!

• Point your scope to the NCP or SCP and turn on the power, the scope will start to track precisely. Nothing else, not even a handpad is required; it is as simple as this.

• Superior local search function. A spiral search will either miss sky, or has too much overlapping sky. SiTech local search feature is a series of circles, each larger than the other. It remains a true circle regardless of your altitude or declination. You can pause, reverse, speed up, slow down, during the search, and you have two radius choices, all from the handpad.

• With closed loop encoder feedback drive control, there is no need to worry about drive slippage or wind gusts as the scope will always track precisely.

• Backlash management and compensation is also included.

• With our state of art 10K altitude inclinometer encoder, there is no need to set up the altitude encoder every time you transport your scope.

• Superior and precision servo motors drive system with state of art drive train.

• SiTech has a powerful script feature. You can pan the Lunar terminator using relative pan commands, Pan the Veil Nebula with absolute pans, even write your name with starlight, etc. Making the scripts is as easy as moving your scope (or the virtual scope during the day), and clicking on various options.

• For advanced imagining users, SiTechExe (running on a PC) offers an extremely powerful and unique PointXP telescope modeling software by Dave Rowe. PointXP takes a series of "Calibration Stars" to performs some very complex transformations, Gauss-Jordan, Partial Derivatives; and does a fine job in correcting for many telescope mounting errors and mount flexture and can increase the pointing accuracy by a factor of up to 10!

• SiTech provides the Auto Guider port on an optional wireless handpad receiver. This is an industry standard connector, where you can plug an SBIG or other standard auto-guider. The autoguiding works extremely well, because of the “Equal Area Guiding,” Backlash compensation, and instantaneous corrections. The auto-guider inputs are acted upon within milliseconds. Check out the latest astro photography on www.siderealtechnology.com.

• Built in SiTech ASCOM software support for auto focuser and de-rotator via a second SiTech controller. You will use the “Azimuth” channel of the second SiTech controller
    for the focus motor, and the “Altitude” channel of the second controller for a field de-rotator motor.

Interface with any ASCOM Compliant Planetarium programs and telescope control routines inside CCD imaging programs.

• The interface to the following popular Planetarium programs are supported:
    Earth Centered Universe (ECU)
    TheSky™
    Cartes du Ciel
    MegaStar

• ARGO NAVIS™ and Sky Commander are supported; but are not required.

• Easy Plug-n-Play self-installation, and No drilling is required! Just tighten a few screws, and you are ready to GOTO. It will likely take more than a few minutes, but it
    will NOT be hours or days to install our GOTO system.

• The GoTo package includes: SiTech Dual Servo Telescope Controller I and Wired Handpad; 2 servo motors and gear boxes; all necessary accessories (cables, adapter
    plates, screws, etc.); a 10K azimuth encoder and 10K altitude inclinometer; and a Skyfi wireless receiver. The iPad is not included. Please note that if there is no RS232
    (serial) port on your computer, then you must have a USB to RS232 Adapter Cable, which is not provided.

$1495 Limited Special Offer with free motors (only when supply lasts).

Edited by hubble-optics (07/16/12 02:28 AM)

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian [Re: hubble-optics]
      #5344485 - 07/31/12 12:13 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Proudly named as Astronomy 2012 Star Products. Please read Astronomy Magazine September 2012 issue for the full list and description.

Thank you!

Edited by hubble-optics (07/31/12 12:14 AM)

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

#5575754 - 12/17/12 01:46 PM

We have just released UL16 f/5.0 at a special introduction offer of $1995.

http://hubbleoptics.com/UL16.html

Thank you,
Tong

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
      #5577497 - 12/18/12 03:37 PM

Thanks Tong,
Quick question though. The site mentions that the trusses on the f5 are a 2 piece design. What exactly does that mean and or could you post a picture of the new structure?

hubble-optics
Vendor- Hubble Optics

Re: Hubble UL16 Premium Ultra Light Truss Dobsonian new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5589667 - 12/26/12 12:42 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

Hi Sean,

I am sorry for the late response. It has a bolted extension section, which is very strong.

Thanks,
Tong

Edited by hubble-optics (12/26/12 12:43 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10398

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics