Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT
      #5351518 - 08/04/12 11:05 AM

Hi Team,

Seeking any input on the pros/cons of LS-8 versus LS-6. So far my check list has the LS-6 with a cost advantage and the LS-8 with a light grasp advantage. Other than that are there any other considerations? Or it simply cost and light grasp that need weighed in purchase?

Also have to decide ACF or not. Have read on this forum that ACF may improve resale (if I ever sell), but does it improve the view? Does it limit coma at the edges when using a visually?

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AntMan1

Reged: 09/17/07

Loc: Third rock from the Sun
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: gaz-in]
      #5352165 - 08/04/12 07:26 PM

My advice having the LS 8 and the lx90 8 is to stay away from the ls-8. My biggest issue with the ls-8 is it does not belong on a 1 arm mount. you can put it on concrete and use suppression pads and still have so much vibration that it will drive you nuts. They cost the same and you get the voice on the lx90 but it has a much better fork mount and it weighs the same except the tripod is substantially heavier and is the same one used with the lx200 series. If you go with an ls you will need a MEADE ZERO IMAGE SHIFT-ELECTRONIC MICRO-FOCUSER #07080 for 250 dollars. Plus people are still having firmware issue on start up so you will need a micro sd card with the firmware on it just in case. LX90 is a much better scope and it is very easy to set up. just align the finder scope in the daytime and it takes you through a two star alignment and you done. Read all reviews on LS before you make a choice. ACF is worth the extra money if for nothing else then resale value.

PS the built in camera is just for alignment and nothing else.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: AntMan1]
      #5352211 - 08/04/12 07:52 PM

The Meade "One Arm Bandits" arent the most reliable setups either. If AP is something you might do, rule it out completely.

Look at the LX90 like AntMan1 suggested.

Andy

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: budman1961]
      #5352220 - 08/04/12 08:00 PM

Thanks for taking the time to provide input. I will certainly look at the LX90. Certainly would appreciate any other thoughts on the LS series...

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5353311 - 08/05/12 03:00 PM

Basically your talking about a $500 difference for the 8" over the 6in. They pretty much weigh the same. The set up was originally designed for the 8", but the introduction price was high, so they came out with the 6" first. If you can afford the 8" then go with the more light gathering power over a 6" scope, but if not, 6" scope will still show you a lot. The ACF design will give you pin point stars to the edge if you are using good EP's, so I would go with that. Any AP will be limited, but that's a whole other subject.

If you go to telescopes.com there are a lot of reviews from customers who bought LS scopes. There is also two very good reviews for both sizes by a CN member, John Kramer who owned both. Go to the CN review section.

I have become lazy over the years and did not want to fuss with imputing date, time, location in a goto telescope, so the Meade LS caught my eye when they came out. I take mine out about an hour before observing in my backyard, plug it in and flip the switch and in 5 min. I'm observing objects. It is expensive, but it's pretty cool!

Have fun:)

Bob

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: REC]
      #5354558 - 08/06/12 10:27 AM

The 8 inch is worth the extra money over the 6 in you simply can go deeper ...... But as noted the 8 is pushing the Mount right up to is "stability" edge..

The LS mounts work great (when they work)
The ACF optics are honestly (to me) worth maybe an extra 20 dollars as a visual observer the slight coma along the edge of the FOV is quite acceptable if I even notice it at all..

That said I agree completely that the Lx90 is a much much munch (get the idea) better mount)..

Bob G.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5355332 - 08/06/12 06:55 PM

Hum...great to have this decision to make.

I have decided to go with the ACF.

Now I just need to work out the size. One item I see is there are a reasonable number of LS 6 that have been sold used and very few LS 8s. Maybe folks are keeping the 8s more than the 6s? Maybe folks just brought less of them because they are expensive?

Although the stability issue bothers me.

astrogeoguy

Reged: 07/02/11

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
      #5355409 - 08/06/12 08:06 PM

The LS-8 vibration becomes nearly a non-issue with the addition of the zero image shift focuser. I like that it integrates into the Autostar control. I also added the anti-vibration pads and weight the tripod by bungeeing the spreader to the battery pack. It's like a new scope for maybe $250-300 more.

The LS-8 gathers 1.75 times as much light, too, for way less than the extra cost - as Bob indicated earlier!

AntMan1

Reged: 09/17/07

Loc: Third rock from the Sun
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: astrogeoguy]
      #5355434 - 08/06/12 08:31 PM

I wonder if the feather touch micro would be as good? Just installed one on my lx90 and I love it. Although the option to focus from the keypad is a great option to have. I almost went that route before going for the lx90.

All Meade would have to do is put the same tripod that's on the lx-90 and the LS-8 would be so much better. but i guess the cost would go up a lot.

1 thing that is very important is that if you think you will ever get into astrophotography , there is no wedge for the ls series. I know it was already posted but just throwing it out there again.

After just being a visual observer off and on for several years I am getting the itch! It's a shame that we cant see with our eyes those beautiful pics taken with a ccd. We need to upgrade our eyeball rt sd only for me

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: AntMan1]
      #5355515 - 08/06/12 09:21 PM

So any thoughts on new versus Factory Refurbished? Factory Refurbished saves $500 to $600.

geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
      #5355712 - 08/06/12 11:25 PM

Factory refurb is a touch call....those $$ you save are tempting for sure, I just wonder what originally happened for the send back to begin with. Most likely GPS, that plagued them for awhile, but you never know. I would imagine the same warranty?

Now for the 8 vs. the 6. As others have said before, the 8 light grasp is nice, but the 6 I owned previously was more stable. Aperture is always a nice thing to have, but not everything. If you think you can handle the shakes just long enough to tweak focus, then go for the 8.

One thing, if your interested in astrophotography (limited, but look at what rigel123 has done!) the 6 would be better since its a bit more stable, has more room at the tail end for cameras and such for clearing the base.

Hope this helps.

John

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: geminijk]
      #5355758 - 08/07/12 12:02 AM

I love my LS6 and (thanks for the plug John! )I did have fun with it for AP while learning the basics before moving on to my Atlas setup. I still use the LS6 for viewing, quick set up, flip the switch and start viewing.

I plan to try imaging Jupiter again with it now that I have a new DMK31 that I got for Solar images. Not the largest aperture but I think I can have fun with it.

My LS6 images are on my Astrobin site, just look at the ones taken in 2010, those were all with the LS6 and an Antares 6.3 focal reducer and a DSI III Mono.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: rigel123]
      #5356206 - 08/07/12 10:03 AM

I have the LS8 and have very little focus or vibration issues. I use it on the patio and have the pads and most of my observing is sitting. Also I have a very beefy 2" diagonal that might help? When used on the yard, the tripod legs sink into the ground for more stability.

I can't see using the Micro Focuser as the added length would cause the scope to hit the base.

Bob

astrogeoguy

Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: REC]
      #5358774 - 08/08/12 08:44 PM

Just a quick note that last evening, for the first time in a long while, I was forced to set up my LS-8 on concrete without the anti-vibration pads - and their absence was really apparent!

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

#5359300 - 08/09/12 06:51 AM

Interesting so the vibration pads make a big difference?

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
      #5429492 - 09/19/12 04:11 PM

I have the LT8 which is very similar to the LS8, both with the 1 arm mount. It shakes like jelly when focusing, which make precise focus pretty darn hard. I put it on concrete. Maybe I need the pads.

If I was doing it again, I'd get the LX90 for the extra fork arm at the expense of about 10lbs.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5432389 - 09/21/12 10:06 AM

Invest in a motor-focus then you do not need to ouch the scope at all when focusing..

My Celestron single armed bandit is rock solid IF the wind is not blowing AND I do not have to touch the darn thing... LOL

Bob G.

astrogeoguy

Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5433243 - 09/21/12 06:32 PM

I find that the dew shield also adds to the shakes if it's breezy. Aside from that - go with the Meade Zero Image Shift Focuser to eliminate nearly all the shakes, but WATCH OUT for the diagonal hitting the fork when near zenith!

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
      #5433524 - 09/21/12 10:03 PM

Love my 8" LX90 EMC!
Steve

Jay Wise
sage

Reged: 11/21/08

Loc: Near Williamsburg VA
Re: LS-6 or LS-8 and ACF or SCT new [Re: sgorton99]
      #5438561 - 09/24/12 06:07 PM

I have the 8" ACF LS and the problem is not the single arm but the tripod. I put it on a tripod from an old LX90 and guess what, no shakes! BTW, the LX90 12" ACF would never track properly, so pick your poison.

JayW

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3621

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics