Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Whaleboy

Reged: 06/20/12

Loc: Los Angeles
Astro IIdc no more?
      #5360984 - 08/10/12 01:03 AM

I'm just now putting together my first Ccd setup, and have been checking into software, trying to decide on Astro IIDC, or Firecapture. Was on the Astro website today and noticed the following...

Quote:

Short of a miraculous increase in sales (well over 100 new sales) received over the next 4 weeks, Astro IIDC will very likely be shut down forever by the end of September 2012. Sales are at a 8 year low and our Mac consulting business which has helped subsidize Astro IIDC for the past 4 years is essentially gone. To be 100% clear, shut down means there will be no sales, no downloads, no  replacement keys, no updates and no support - AT ALL. So if you purchase a license it will continue to work until you have to replace that hardware - but no new keys will be issued for it after that.

We will be releasing Astro IIDC 4.09.00 on September 1st 2012 - which very likely will be the final release.

Unfortunately, that is the way it is. I would like to thank our customers for their support over the past 8 years and hope Astro IIDC continues to function well for them going forward.

Bummer...

http://www.outcastsoft.com/ASCASTROIIDC.html

-David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: Whaleboy]
      #5364738 - 08/12/12 01:31 PM

It is indeed a bummer. I've been using Astro IIDC for several years now, and really like having a very capable tool for the Mac that's dedicated to astronomical imaging.

I plan to hold onto my existing hardware for as long as possible, even if I have to use something else when I buy a new computer. Thankfully, my Macbook Pro is only about a year old now. And my G4 powerbook, though it's about 6 years old, still runs Astro IIDC fine.

-Tim.

Edwinp

Reged: 05/17/10

Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: tim53]
      #5364746 - 08/12/12 01:37 PM

That's very depressing news and once again Mac users get the shaft.

I'm using a Mac all the time for my planetary images and Astro IIDC was a great program to use. Luckily my Macbook is still very new.

That's truly bad news.

Whaleboy

Reged: 06/20/12

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: Edwinp]
      #5365110 - 08/12/12 05:45 PM

I just bought a license. I tried both Firecapture and flycapture for a PG Chameleon under both VMware and bootcamp, and couldn't get the throughput for anything over 800x600 (as in any throughput... The software would error out at full res). With Astro iidc, its ok. The frame rate could be better, but 9 fps at 1280 is better than 0 fps. I guess the MacBook USB is a little hampered under windows.

Seems a little drastic to not issue new licenses to those who have already purchased. I see they took that notice off their website, as it was likely discouraging anyone from actually buying a license if they were considering it.

-David

Edited by Whaleboy (08/12/12 05:46 PM)

Edwinp

Reged: 05/17/10

Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: Whaleboy]
      #5365926 - 08/13/12 05:55 AM

Quote:

Seems a little drastic to not issue new licenses to those who have already purchased. I see they took that notice off their website, as it was likely discouraging anyone from actually buying a license if they were considering it.

-David

Yeah, that sound very selfish and disrespectful to people(such as me) who bought a license.
Cause sooner or later you have to replace your hardware..

Cordulegaster
journeyman

Reged: 02/16/11

#5444730 - 09/28/12 06:56 AM

Is there an alternative software package?

Glyn

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5444986 - 09/28/12 10:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-David

Yeah, that sound very selfish and disrespectful to people(such as me) who bought a license.
Cause sooner or later you have to replace your hardware..

Sorry, but I can't make sense of this complaint. If you just bought a license, you have the latest version. Even if you didn't just buy a license (my last purchase was a couple years ago), you can upgrade to the latest version.

My advice to people who've bought licenses to run one camera with one computer would be to buy the license to run multiple cameras with that computer. That way, you'll be able to use Astro IIDC if you change cameras - you'll just have to keep using the Mac you bought the license for.

I bought the license to run multiple cameras on multiple macs. I like Astro IIDC so much that I'm probably going to spring for the Golden Key.

As for disrespect? Remember that Astro IIDC was a one-man company. It's saddest to me that not that many great software packages are available for Mac users, without paying a small fortune for it. Astro IIDC was cheap, and does a lot! I've used it for deep sky imaging with my flea and scorpion cameras.

-Tim.

Ron359

Reged: 04/21/08

Loc: CO USA
Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: tim53]
      #5445086 - 09/28/12 11:49 AM

The demise of AstroIIDC was announced almost two months ago. Its part of the problem that some Mac imagers are just now noticing that. Unlike most astro imaging software Milton was trying to make a living off it, not a 'second job' or shareware done for the developer's own use, like most other PC and Mac imaging software is. AstroIIDC does so much more than just stack images that I haven't found in others like ROI and of course the high frame rate downloads, but also photometry and guiding. But it got 'no respect' as even some top imaging users rarely touted its use and capabilities. So its no disrespect for the end to come. I'm just hoping my 5 yr. old Macbook Pro keeps ticking with my two cameras which are licensed. Problem is I won't be able to upgrade to a newer camera. Lets hope someone in the future has more success and give them our support.

poita

Reged: 07/25/11

Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: Ron359]
      #5498361 - 10/31/12 07:56 PM

It is a problem for me, I was about to buy AstroIIDC but my macbook has just died. A replacement is coming in two weeks, so where does that leave me?

I'm surprised that they are locking the software down, if you are going to give up on development, why not give it away? Or just make it no support and an automated paypal of $30 or something if you want to buy it (unsupported) in the future. It is a bummer to not be able to install the software you paid for on a new computer.
If it doesn't work because of a new OS or a new camera, that is one thing and is expected. But not being able to transfer the software if your computer dies is a real bummer.

poita

Reged: 07/25/11

Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: poita]
      #5498653 - 10/31/12 11:03 PM

Sorry, my previous post comes off as a bit harsh on second reading. It is of course up to the developer what they do with their code. I'm more annoyed with myself that I finally found the software I want, but found it too late.
Missing it by a matter of a few days is frustrating, but is how the dice roll.
$500 is a bit too much of a punt for me to take for the golden key without knowing how well it will work onthe new computer and camera.
It's a shame, it looks like a great app.

Edited by poita (10/31/12 11:05 PM)

Ron359

Reged: 04/21/08

Loc: CO USA
Re: Astro IIdc no more? new [Re: poita]
      #5501137 - 11/02/12 03:36 PM

You could have registered your camera(s) instead of the Macbook, that way the license is independent of which Mac you use them with. You might try emailing Milton about doing it now. I have two cameras licensed and an older Macbook. Unfortunately I won't be able to upgrade cameras in the future and can't afford the Golden Key, but at least I can keep using what I have on older or future Macs. Eventually some one else will develop something at least as good as AstroIIDC probably using iOS as much of 'astro-computing' (and other) is going to pads & tablets.

Ron

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2101

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics