Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Super08
sage

Reged: 05/18/12

Loc: Great White North
Wood Wonders
      #5370058 - 08/15/12 12:34 PM

I just received my new eyepiece case from Ron at Wooden Wonders. It truly is a beautiful work of art. It will enable me to go from three aluminum cases down to just one case that holds everything. The red LED is a nice feature and I took one picture to with the flash off to show how it lights up the interior. I had a custom 2nd eyepiece tray made that fits under one of the drawers to hold my Circle T ortho's and my Celestron Plossls. All of my other Tele Vue and ES eyepieces with fit in the main tray in the middle. There was some mix up as to what center tray I was supposed to get as I received the wrong tray so I need to put some of my eyepieces in the upper drawer for now. I will get it switched to the correct one with Ron in no time. They just drop into place and can be changed as your eyepiece collection changes. I don't plan on doing any changes with mine as I am happy with the ones I have. I don't have a crystal ball though and you never can tell what will happen down the road so it is still nice to have that option. I ordered mine with walnut stain and the glow in the dark monogram on the lid. Here's some pictures.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: Super08]
      #5370108 - 08/15/12 01:00 PM

Thats a beautiful case. Wouldn't it be nice if they built custom telescope cases to match, with the same quality and spec.

Keith Howlett
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/06/07

Loc: Northumberland, UK
      #5370161 - 08/15/12 01:38 PM

--Doug,

I like that a lot, a thing of beauty!

Cheers,

Keith

Super08
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: Keith Howlett]
      #5370312 - 08/15/12 03:44 PM

Thanks, the pictures really don't do it justice. He really does an incredible job making these.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5370401 - 08/15/12 04:53 PM

Beautiful stuff, and excellent design. The ultimate marriage of form and function in an EP case.

Just curious...any particular reason why you didn't go with the heater in the EP area?

Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures.

Super08
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5370442 - 08/15/12 05:28 PM

One reason only...money. I have spent too much on toys this year already. I do plan to add it later. Ron told me it is not a problem to do on my own.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
      #5370495 - 08/15/12 06:03 PM

That is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking of ordering a case myself. I just have to scrape the money together which isn't easy now that I am retired. Again that is a VERY BEAUTIFUL case you got there!!!!!!!!!! P.S. I wonder if getting an eyepiece case causes bad weather like when you buy an eyepiece or a telescope???

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5370566 - 08/15/12 07:02 PM

That is a beauty... classy classic woodwork!

regards
Chris

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: chboss]
      #5370716 - 08/15/12 09:16 PM

Waiting for mine; should be this week.

Bill

Super08
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: la200o]
      #5370723 - 08/15/12 09:18 PM

Bill you will be floored when you open the box, I swear my eyes looked like saucers when I pulled it out of the packing. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Super08]
      #5370882 - 08/15/12 11:28 PM

I have a pre-Ethos version of the same case. Sadly, I now have several tall eyepieces that don't fit in it.

- Jim

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5371260 - 08/16/12 09:09 AM

Jim the new cases are taller to accommodate the taller eyepieces. That is how I was able to put a second tray with 15 holes in it for my orthos and plossls under one of the drawers. The center tray has room for eyepieces close to 7" tall. Not that it helps you but it will for the folks like me that buy the newer version.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Super08]
      #5371290 - 08/16/12 09:34 AM

I saw that.

My case typically holds little guys and filters these days. I may have to pick up one of the smaller cases in the new taller format as a supplemental case for big & tall eyepieces.

Incidentally, I think skipping the heater was a good move. The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours. In bulk they go for about $0.25 each, so they're not expensive, and they can be used in your pockets, boots and other cases as well. For example, if I have a scope on an EQ mount set up covered for more than one night, I will toss a satchel onto the spreader/eyepiece tray, under the cover, to prevent moisture from settling on the scope and EQ head under the cover.

If you're ever in the market for an observing Chair, Wood Wonders makes great ones for Catseye.

Regards,

Jim

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5371497 - 08/16/12 12:01 PM

Yes I have been looking at the chairs. I like your idea with the hand warmers. We get those at work in bulk.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5372330 - 08/16/12 11:26 PM

Quote:

The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours. In bulk they go for about $0.25 each, so they're not expensive...

Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source. On the other hand if one has a non-powered alt-az mount, a chemical hand warmer could sound more attractive.

Its easy to add a heater later if the desire arises. Some just keep their EP's in their pocket, though I can't see comfortably doing that with ethos or ES100's. Further a case heater may seem slightly overkill, if one uses an EP warmer when mounted in the diagonal.

Regarding chairs, I paid wood wonders the ultimate compliment, by borrowing heavily from their design when I built my own:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5340892/page/5/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Wood Wonders [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5372426 - 08/17/12 12:36 AM

I got a similar case, ordered at NEAF. Only difference from this one was it was cherry stained to match my Teeter scope.
Pix at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12536575@N08/sets/72157630044953413/with/7178149457/

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Wood Wonders [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5372720 - 08/17/12 08:22 AM

One of these cases is still on my short list!

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders [Re: t.r.]
      #5372763 - 08/17/12 09:00 AM

Very nice Willie, cherry was on my short list for color. Actually it was in the final two but I ultimately went with the special walnut.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Wood Wonders [Re: Super08]
      #5372775 - 08/17/12 09:11 AM

That's an absolute work of art!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5372784 - 08/17/12 09:21 AM

Quote:

Incidentally, I think skipping the heater was a good move. The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours.

Are you sure those things don't outgas?! The reason I mention it is because the eyepiece lenses (bottoms) are exposed in these cases.Damage to coatings may occur if they do!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4599

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics