Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: t.r.]
      #5372799 - 08/17/12 09:36 AM

I am ordering one today!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Super08
sage

Reged: 05/18/12

Loc: Great White North
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5372946 - 08/17/12 10:55 AM

Funny
That is what happened to me, I saw one of these in a thread and I had to have one. I was hooked. He is a one man show and is quite busy making them. It took about a month or a bit more befoe mine shipped from the time I ordered it.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5373228 - 08/17/12 01:49 PM

"Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source."

Here's why I think the in-case electrical solution is poorly conceived.

1. It requires a wire from your mount/dew heater battery, which increases cable clutter around the scope and mount.

2. Your case heater takes juice from the battery that your mount and scope dew suppression solution also relies on, reducing your maximum in-field time without needing a recharge.

3. It costs $175 (enough for two lifetimes of hand warmer packets ordered online annually, without a single trip to Costco ever).

4. When you pack up for the night to drive home, unless you keep the case plugged in, moisture in the air inside the case will condense and settle on the eye lenses in transit. That doesn't happen with the hand warmer packets which work all the way home and all the way until dawn when you can box up the eyepieces in a moisture free environment.

5. Hand warmer packets have other uses, like warming your hands, sleeping bag, boots, etc.

All in all, when I looked at adding electrically powered heat to my case (long before WW adapted the Kendrick system to its cases as an option) I decided that it was a costly, awkward (cable-clutter; battery dependency), non-versatile, and only partially effective solution (didn't work on the way home), which led me instead to the cheaper, more effective, no-clutter, hand warmer idea. But hey, if you dig having a 3-way splitter and plugging your eyepiece case into your battery, I'm happy for ya.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: t.r.]
      #5373269 - 08/17/12 02:14 PM

Yep, I'm sure they don't outgas. It's a simple accelerated (salt catalyzed) "rusting" (iron oxidization) reaction in an inert insulating medium to retard heat dispersal.

I do not cap either the bottoms or tops of my eyepieces while in the field case. This speeds up eyepiece swaps and avoids the added logistics of finding a place for the cap when not in use. The satchel goes in under one of the side drawers. It generates plenty of heat to keep the interior of the case dry if kept closed between eyepiece swaps.

Now, do the chemicals used for the vinyl casing on the Kendrick strip outgas when heated? How about the petroleum distillates and other chemicals in the Minwax stain used on the surfaces on the inside of the case? Has anyone tested this?

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5373273 - 08/17/12 02:16 PM

That'd be pretty, but also mighty heavy. You might need a crane to move such a case for a C14 OTA.

- Jim

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5373407 - 08/17/12 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source."

Here's why I think the in-case electrical solution is poorly conceived.

1. It requires a wire from your mount/dew heater battery, which increases cable clutter around the scope and mount.

I suppose that depends on where you keep your battery and EP case. Personally, I keep both under my mount tripod, often with the EP case on top of the battery case. The wire is a non-issue in this case.

Quote:

2. Your case heater takes juice from the battery that your mount and scope dew suppression solution also relies on, reducing your maximum in-field time without needing a recharge.

Again, I think you skimped on your battery capacity if you're at all concerned. .25 Amp/Hr is more than sufficent to warm up my EP case. FWIW, on dewy nights, which are common around here, I have my OTA heater, EP heater, EP case heater, sometimes Telrad heater, active cooling fan, mount drives running for ~5 hours. At the end of a viewing session, I've used about 1/4 of the power capcity. Goal was to stay above 50% for longevity of the lead acid batteries.

Quote:

3. It costs $175 (enough for two lifetimes of hand warmer packets ordered online annually, without a single trip to Costco ever).

At $0.10 per kWH for a typical residential power divided by 3 Watts (.25 AH), it would take 3,333 hours of heating before the electricity used cost $1. How many lifetimes do you figure that adds up to?

Quote:

4. When you pack up for the night to drive home, unless you keep the case plugged in, moisture in the air inside the case will condense and settle on the eye lenses in transit. That doesn't happen with the hand warmer packets which work all the way home and all the way until dawn when you can box up the eyepieces in a moisture free environment.

If your case/EP's are heated above ambient temperature to begin with, moisture won't condense on them in the field. In which case, the issue doesn't apply. However, if you don't have an EP case heater, then yes, it might be handy for your drive home. Though of course, you'll still have to open up the case when you get home, as moisture won't pass through the varnish.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Super08]
      #5375121 - 08/18/12 07:35 PM

I got mine a couple days ago and also am very pleased with it. It is very well made. It's really more of an "observing box" than an eyepiece case, if you ask me; I've got 7 Ethoi, a set of CEMAX, barlows, an odd plossl and Nagler or two, a notebook, small atlas, 1.25" adapters, a 12v converter for my Sky Commander, a set of filters, and so on, and still have some room. Just great to have all this stuff in one place and in such an attractive box! Highly recommended!

Bill

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: la200o]
      #5375346 - 08/18/12 11:40 PM

Congrats on your new case Bill. I know I will never part with mine. It will stay with me until I am too old to go out observing and then I will still keep it for the memories.

Super08
sage

#5418851 - 09/13/12 10:06 AM

I forgot to add an updated picture after I received the new center tray. All my eyepieces have a home now as well as all my accessories all in one case.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5419235 - 09/13/12 01:39 PM

Very nice indeed.

Bill

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5419681 - 09/13/12 06:10 PM

An exceptional case! What beautiful workmanship!

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5419698 - 09/13/12 06:18 PM

Speaking of out-gassing... What about the finish inside the box? I assume it is laquer and that "should" be OK, but I wouldn't trust the plastics.

Roy

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: astroRoy]
      #5421122 - 09/14/12 03:22 PM

They have been around for a few years and I have never seen any problems with out gassing causing damage to eyepieces. Mine Have been in there for about a month now and nothing yet. I was out observing last night and it was a joy to use.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Wood Wonders [Re: astroRoy]
      #5421241 - 09/14/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

Speaking of out-gassing... What about the finish inside the box? I assume it is laquer and that "should" be OK, but I wouldn't trust the plastics.

Roy

What plastic are you referring to? The only plastic on the case is plexiglas which does not outgass in normal usage.

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
Re: Wood Wonders [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5421615 - 09/14/12 09:18 PM

Finishes, like polyurethanes, polyacrylics. Laquer being alcohol based, would probably out-gas very little if at all, but polyurethane seems to never lose its smell inside a box - I have made many. Just asking about this. No way am I trying to deride the beautiful works of art these are. Being a wood worker myself, I can certainly appreciate his craftsmanship. Since out-gassing was mentioned earlier, I thought my mention of finishes would give the creator a change to re-assure cusomers about his choice in finishes.

Roy

Super08
sage

#5421625 - 09/14/12 09:29 PM

This is off of the website:
All cases are coated with Minwax Helmsman SPAR Urethane for a protective clear finish that offers long-lasting protection for the interior and exterior that is exposed to sunlight, dew and temperature changes.

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

Re: Wood Wonders [Re: Super08]
      #5421644 - 09/14/12 09:50 PM

These are really nice cases. I asked Ron if he could make one of these in tiger maple and he said he could. I think that would make a fantastic looking piece of equipment. Unfortunately, at the time I asked him it was too expensive for me. Maybe I should inquire again now.

herrointment
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Wood Wonders [Re: Goodchild]
      #5421677 - 09/14/12 10:16 PM

Spar varnish is a flexible finish with UV inhibitors...both these properties help the finish stick to the wood over the long haul and is a fine choice for the environment the cases would encounter.

Some spar varnishes can take a while to cure...if you can still smell a (strong!) paint thinner odor or more likely the smell of linseed oil open up the case in a well ventilated area for a few weeks and all should be well.

Otherwise just enjoy the case!

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #5422312 - 09/15/12 12:45 PM

Quote:

.... Laquer being alcohol based, would probably out-gas very little if at all, but polyurethane seems to never lose its smell inside a box .....
Roy

Roy,
I'm not aware of any alcohol-based lacquers, were you thinking of shellac?
A closed box will hold solvent-based odors for a longer time than one that is open to the atmosphere. All of the polyurethanes that I have used give up their odors in a reasonable amount of time. The spar varnish formulation used on these boxes is an excellent choice of finish.

dan k.

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #5422321 - 09/15/12 12:51 PM

If there was a problem with the products used in finishing these it would have shown up on the forums some time ago. It is not like they are a new product. I did leave mine open for a couple weeks to help it to dry completely when I received it though. Dummy me forgot to turn off the led when I did and killed the 9v battery I had installed in it at the same time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4534

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics