Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: ubermick]
      #5670990 - 02/09/13 04:26 PM

I would suggest an 8" jointer to compliment the planer if you don't already own one. You'll need more room, and a north facing window with plenty of quality lighting.....for safety!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mark Peterman

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Texas
      #5671639 - 02/10/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Haha, yep. Although considering the company most of us are in while observing, someone doing a legger with the case is probably lower than normal.

Anyways, being a complete idiot, I've now spent $500 on a thickness planer as well as a sliding miter saw to put one of these together. Y'know, instead of spending HALF that on a case made by someone with far more skill and talent than I have. I'll be sure and post the utterly disastrous results when I get some time to put one together!

LOL, yeah, that is usually the route that I take.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Mark Peterman]
      #5671739 - 02/10/13 02:06 AM

Congrats on the planer. I suppose you know that to surface joint the wood you'll additionally need to pick up a jointer. To complete the edge jointing, you'll additionally want a table saw to rip the final edge. I believe the wood wonders further uses dado guides for the drawers and rabbetted joints around drawer closure. You'll want a stacked dado to do that on your table saw, or else use a router with correct size dado bits and router fence.

You might be able to skip the jointing by buying pre-jointed wood sometimes sold at certain lumber supply shops. But choose carefully if you go that route. Those plastic wrapped boards are not always acclimated moisture-wise (read as may warp after unwrapping)

Of course, you'll want a drill press to swing those 2" Forstner bits for the EP holes. If you don't want to do that you might get away with a hole saw or spade bit on a large hand drill, which won't be as clean, but can be made acceptable with some touch up sand paper.

Best of Luck! The initial capital can seem steep compared to just buying, but most of the equipment can easily outlast the rest of your life.

Dave

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5672248 - 02/10/13 12:11 PM

$500 for a planer and a slide saw!

The spiral head alone on my planer cost more than twice that. Your wife should congratulate your frugality.

ubermick

Reged: 04/12/12

Loc: San Rafael, CA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: herrointment]
      #5672941 - 02/10/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

I would suggest an 8" jointer to compliment the planer if you don't already own one. You'll need more room, and a north facing window with plenty of quality lighting.....for safety!

Y'know, screw it - I think I'll just spring for a CNC machine!

ubermick

#5726073 - 03/11/13 03:18 PM

Okay, a month after I posted the above. I got started on it about three weeks ago, working on the case as time allowed. Went back and forth on rabbet joints or using finger or dovetail joints. Decided on finger joints for added strength, so ordered an Incra i-jig. (That thing is SLICK!) Although being a complete novice, I still ended up making a mess out of the case, and having to start again.

But just finished the second attempt yesterday, it's currently outside in the sun waiting for the finish (used the same Helmsman Spar Urethane as WW does) to destink before I load it up. Dunno how practical it'll be, since it weighs over 15 pounds empty compared to the pound or two that my aluminium Harbor Freight case with pluck foam is, but... it looks nice?

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5726159 - 03/11/13 03:46 PM

15 pounds empty????!!!!!

ubermick

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: herrointment]
      #5726201 - 03/11/13 03:59 PM

Haha, yep, the thing is a tank - all that 1/2" oak sure adds up.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5726258 - 03/11/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

Haha, yep, the thing is a tank - all that 1/2" oak sure adds up.

Yeah....3/8 would have been a better choice, that's what Wood Wonders uses.

ubermick

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5726326 - 03/11/13 04:52 PM

Hindsight being what it is, if I did it again, I would indeed use 3/8. That said, it was almost depressing the amount of wood wasted to make this, since 1/2" lumber doesn't really exist, and had to plane down the 10' or so from 3/4" thick. But going thinner would certainly have shaved 2-3 pounds off, although I do like the added insurance of my eyepieces being protected by that little extra. And I suppose in the grand scheme of things, when you're lugging around 50-60lb mounts, power tanks, et al when setting up, an extra couple of pounds doesn't really matter. It's a good workout, at least!

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5726409 - 03/11/13 05:30 PM

To get the size you need, you would bandsaw unfinished 5/4 thickness boards in half, not plane. You then use the planer on the two halves to get identical exact thicknesses of 3/8 inch. I know this info is coming just a little late for this project, but for future work, look for lumber from a mill. You can order 3/8 if you want from a mill but its cheaper to bandsaw boards in half and finish them in you planer.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5726720 - 03/11/13 07:54 PM

I'd love to see some photos of your finger joints...

Jaimo!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
42 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4602

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics