Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
cuemark8

Reged: 07/01/12

Loc: Imler, PA
8" OTA with a Celestron CG-4 mount new
      #5375611 - 08/19/12 09:09 AM

I asked about a similar setup awhile back. I'm building my way up to a premium telescope setup as I come across the extra money. I currently have a Celestron CG4 mount purchased about a year ago. I use an 80mm spotting scope with it right now. I wanted to to upgrade to an 8" OTA. I am about to purchase either the 8" EdgeHD OTA or just the 8" XLT OTA. I like the Edge HD better.
I will be mounting with the CG4. Is that OK? I see some forums say NO WAY! I will in time upgrade and buy a much better mount down the road someday. The newer CG4's are rated for a 20lb. payload. It should handle the weight of an 8" OTA.
I see in Celestron's site the Omni XLT CG-4 mount is sold a packaged with different scopes. The Omni XLT150R OTA weighs 16lbs. The Onmi XLT120 OTA weight 12.5 lbs. The CG4, in my opinion, is a tough little mount. I see no reason why I cant mount an 8" OTA on it. The 8" XLT OTA weighs 12.5 lbs. The 8" EdgeHD weighs 14 lbs.
Is this to big for a mount like the CG4? Celestron has the EdgeHD OTA's on sale. I would like to jump but only if it will work OK with my current mount. At this time it will be strickly visual setup, no AP.
I feel an 8" EdgeHD OTA is a sensible purchase. It has the capability to be a good tool for future use.With a better mount like a CG-5 or a CGE DX it is an amazing yet portable set-up. I look down the road. For now I'll just play with it using my CG4 mount. Plz comment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Javier
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: 15 Minutes west of the Manhatt...
Re: 8" OTA with a Celestron CG-4 mount new [Re: cuemark8]
      #5375760 - 08/19/12 10:55 AM

While you may be able to mount a 8" SCT on a CG-4 I have a feeling that the scope will show sever shaking as you focus. I use my 8" EdgeHD on a CG-5 ASGT with a dual saddle and I feel that the CG5 is the lightest mount that should carry a 8" SCT.

Just because Celestron puts a specific telescope on a CG4 it does not mean that this is a good combination.

xcy
sage

Reged: 05/15/06

Loc: Europe
Re: 8" OTA with a Celestron CG-4 mount new [Re: Javier]
      #5375893 - 08/19/12 12:49 PM

I tried an 8" SCT on an EQ3-2 (with its aluminium legs not extended) and I found that the mount was usable, but the slow motion controls caused some annoying vibrations to the OTA. I don't remember focusing being a problem, but I also believe that a CG5-GT mount would be a better choice.

cuemark8

Reged: 07/01/12

Loc: Imler, PA
Re: 8" OTA with a Celestron CG-4 mount new [Re: xcy]
      #5375951 - 08/19/12 01:21 PM

I've thought about a C6 for the Cg4 mount. I didn't want that. The C8, especially the EdgeHD C8, is so more capable with bigger apature and fastar capable. I know it's alot for a CG4 mount but it's within acceptable weight limits. I don't have thousands to spend on a dream setup right now so I buy and build as I get extra money. It's either a better mount or a better OTA for now. So C8 and a CG4 seems my combo for now. I didn't want the EdgeHD. Have no intentions of AP right now, but the XLT C8 has a *BLEEP* 6x30 finder scope the EdgeHD has a 9x50 finder scope. It has a better eyepiece included with it. I was told if I bought the basic XLT C8 I would end up spending money a better finder scope and eyepieces anyways so get the EdgeHD and get the better parts that come with it.

solshaker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/06/06

Re: 8" OTA with a Celestron CG-4 mount new [Re: cuemark8]
      #5376124 - 08/19/12 03:23 PM

a few years ago when the hand controller died on my cg5 mount i used an orion astroview with my 8" newt. was it shaky? you bet. but the mount tracked well and handled the load. the sct ota will be shorter which will make for less momentum and it should ride fine. i would suggest investing in a right ascension drive for the cg4. that way once you get focused it will track and you wont have to use the slow mo cable that will cause vibrations.

solshaker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/06/06

Re: 8" OTA with a Celestron CG-4 mount [Re: solshaker]
      #5376126 - 08/19/12 03:24 PM

pic link of 8" on the astroview

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 663

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics