Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Might as well make a fool of myself here
      #5376302 - 08/19/12 05:17 PM

7 Years ago I purchased a Star hoc 90mnm-F11 on a GEM mount w/ single drive motor. The motor has directional control and single,2x and4x speed control. The gist of the story is I've been too lazy to use it properly I tend to use it as an alt as scope for grab and go and used it as such for the transit of Venus this June and i was really pleased with the few AP I got. The scope preforms well optically . I'm concerned with its quality. I know that the scope is a GSO
the drive motor has no markings but the hand control is numbered GS280 so I assume GSO also. I also know that mounts are rated 1,2 3 3a,.... Can anyone tell by the Photos which GEM style this seems to fall into

I've taken some shots of the mounts components.

and

and yes my son's dog ate the mounting ear off the metal housing of the drive motor

rear connections to drive motor

hand control

The scope completely assembled and balanced in alt & az as far as I can tell clutches loose and scope stays in any position I place it.

and

Power supply

counter balance weight

I would appreciate knowing if this set up would handle short exposure AP < 30 seconds if I can get a good polar alignment it is equipped with a polar alignment scope.
I may have been under estimating the abilities of this scope in favor of my 5i and Hardin DSH 12. I only paid $254.00 for the scope w/ mount, 6x30 finder, drive motor assembly and 3 eyepieces so I figure it's a keeper.

Edited by Greyhaven (08/19/12 07:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Might as well make a fool of myself here new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5376309 - 08/19/12 05:26 PM

Yes, if you keep it well balanced, are careful with polar alignment, and keep the focal length reasonably short.

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Might as well make a fool of myself here new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5376336 - 08/19/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

I also know that mounts are rated 1,2 3 3a,.... Can anyone tell by the Photos which GEM style this seems to fall into

Well if by "rated" you are talking about some of the common designs then I can tell you that this is not an EQ-1 nor an EQ-2. Beyond that I can not narrow it down too much other then to say it is also not an EQ-5 - perhaps the experts here can chime in on that....

Quote:

I would appreciate knowing if this set up would handle short exposure AP < 30 seconds if I can get a good polar alignment it is equipped with a polar alignment scope.

This will depend entirely on the focal length used. I can tell you that with poor polar alignments and a very much beat-up old EQ-2 I was able to get reasonable results at very-wide FOV imaging using camera lenses. I would be very surprised if your mount does not perform better then my old EQ-2.

I highly recommend that you do use the mount as a tracking platform to do wide-field AP. Lots of nice big targets out there to be imaged that way!

As for imaging through the scope - hard to say given I do not have any experience with that mount type. I would *guess* that given a good polar alignment you should be able to do at least short (30s) exposures though.

Have fun with it!

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Might as well make a fool of myself here new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5376447 - 08/19/12 07:15 PM

Looks to be in the vicinity of an EQ-3.

-Dan

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: Might as well make a fool of myself here new [Re: rmollise]
      #5376484 - 08/19/12 07:48 PM

A big thanks to Uncle Rod, falcon and Dan I feel better that the set up looks like it should give me usable results and is worth trying at least some AP. Wish the skies would be clear tonight ain't gonna happen.
Be Well
Grey

Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 508

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics