Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: fetoma]
      #6128650 - 10/10/13 09:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really?.....Al this wringing of hands over $2.99?

Wow, if you guys, and any others, are not worried about wasting $2.99, then I'd like to ask you all to please make a donation to one of the charities that supports our wounded military folks.

FWIW, my son is US Army, and we spend way more than $3 on various military related charities, as well as sending care packages to troops stationed in harm's way. I believe in putting my money where my mouth is.

IMO $3 to try out something that may or may not work, based on very mixed reviews, is a pittance and I have spent way more than that for junk in this hobby over the years.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: budman1961]
      #6128783 - 10/10/13 10:49 AM

Quote:

Really?.....Al this wringing of hands over $2.99?

Yes $2.99 for something that didn't work even once. If I knew I was wasting my money I would have spent it on something else. That's the reason why reviews exist: to prevent other people from wasting their money.

obin

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6130718 - 10/11/13 10:22 AM

Quote:

[
Wow, if you guys, and any others, are not worried about wasting $2.99, then I'd like to ask you all to please make a donation to one of the charities that supports our wounded military folks.

Who says we don't? Not that this has pea-turkey to do with the price of tea in China.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6130726 - 10/11/13 10:25 AM

Quote:

Yes $2.99 for something that didn't work even once. If I knew I was wasting my money I would have spent it on something else. That's the reason why reviews exist: to prevent other people from wasting their money.

obin

And the responses from the many folks whose experience with this app is totally different from yours is why forums like this exist.

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: rmollise]
      #6131936 - 10/11/13 08:36 PM

Quote:

Not that this has pea-turkey to do with the price of tea in China.

It was just a plug Unc.

MRD
Vendor - Scope Nights

Reged: 08/29/08

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #6295778 - 01/06/14 11:48 AM

Sorry about the late response, but I've been extremely busy developing version 2.0, which now includes improved stargazing forecasts. So I hope this update solves many of your problems.

I had noticed that for showery or thundery forecasts, the app was being too pessimistic. So version 2.0 uses the cloud cover forecast in the rating algorithm and should be give a more realistic rating. The UK & US forecasts in version 2.0 also use precipitation probability in the ratings algorithm, so should be more accurate again. Predicting if a thunder or shower cell will pass over your exact location is something no forecast can predict, so a probability is given. Even then, with a low probability of showers or thunderstorms, you can still be unlucky and get caught out. Weather is by nature a chaotic process and so is impossible to predict with total accuracy.

The US stargazing forecast uses NOAA data, and the UK stargazing forecast uses Met Office data.

New features in Scope Nights version 2.0

• NEW - Full iOS7 compatibility with new look & feel
• NEW - Improved forecasts using cloud cover and precipitation probability
• NEW - Moon phase threshold slider
• NEW - Wind speed gust sensitivity switch
• NEW - List of IDA international dark sky parks
• NEW - Clear period notifications
• FIX - General bug fixes & improvements

Please Note, if updating from a previous version… In order to fund further development some existing features are now included as part of paid upgrades, but they also include many new features as listed above within the free update to version 2.0. Without adding a small charge for the more advanced features I could not afford to develop the app any further.

Phil Hart

Reged: 06/10/10

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: MRD]
      #6595276 - 06/22/14 05:00 AM

Any updates on availability for Android?

For users in Australia where does the short-term (1-3 days) and long term data come from? If you pay for the European data access, does that become the primary source?

It's hard to get access to Euro model data so would happily pay for this app if that's what it provides.

Phil

MRD
Vendor - Scope Nights

Reged: 08/29/08

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: Phil Hart]
      #6596887 - 06/23/14 05:10 AM

Hi Phil,

I would still like to release an Android version of Scope Nights but can’t give a firm date yet. I’m currently putting finishing touches to Scope Nights 2.1 for iPhone and iPad which should be out soon and will include worldwide IDA dark sky locations and a world dark sky map along with ability to store and compare favourite observing locations to see which has the best stargazing forecast. Future plans include an Android version of Scope Nights, and additional national weather data packs for Scope Nights covering Canada, Australia and Europe.

The forecast for Australia uses a medium range global forecast derived from the European ECMWF numerical forecast model. This is regarded as one of the best global models. Scope Nights doesn’t provide a national astronomy weather pack for Australian or Europe at the moment, but it is something I’m actively looking into along with Canada and Australia. The national astronomy weather packs in Scope Nights 2.0 provide short-range forecasts for the US & UK at the moment. When the Australia national astronomy weather pack becomes available you will get a more accurate short-term stargazing forecast.

Hope this helps? Let me know if you have any other questions. There’s a few articles on the Egg Moon blog that explains in detail how Scope Nights 2.0 works…

How To Use Scope Nights
How Scope Nights Works
Astronomy Weather Pack
National Astronomy Weather Upgrades

Best regards,
Martin

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Scope Nights: New Stargazing Weather Forecast App new [Re: MRD]
      #6600856 - 06/25/14 09:14 AM

Quote:

I’m currently putting finishing touches to Scope Nights 2.1 for iPhone which will include the ability to store and compare favourite observing locations to see which has the best stargazing forecast.

Awesome! Excellent! Thank you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4459

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics