Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Extending Atlas EQ-G Hand Controller Cable
      #5382801 - 08/23/12 01:22 PM

For some reason I had a bit of difficulty getting EQMOD to synch properly with Starry Night Pro. I'll flog on this a bit when I have time, but in the mean time I went with Plan-B... I used a 16 foot serial extension cable to so that I can use the hand controller from inside my house. (I did something similar many years ago with an AutoStar #494 controller and a 14 foot Ethernet extension cable.) Just in case I needed to go this way I bought several different lengths of cable and I found that 25 feet was too long, but 16 feet (10 + 6 foot cables) works fine. I may try a 20 foot serial cable, that way it can lay on the ground all the way to my window. I may give EQMOD another try tonight, but it is really nice having the actual controller sitting right next to my monitor.

Soooo, if you need a simple way of remotely your Atlas EQ-G this looks like a fairly robust way of doing it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
Re: Extending Atlas EQ-G Hand Controller Cable new [Re: jgraham]
      #5383574 - 08/23/12 09:33 PM

When I run my Atlas on the back deck, I installed a cat5 cable for the hand controller. It runs from the deck to the wall inside the house...all cables are installed within the walls and wall plates for a clean installation.
Total length is about 60 ft. and works perfect.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 309

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics