Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
denjo
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/25/05

Side by Side on Atlas
      #5395383 - 08/30/12 06:17 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

I'm thinking of trying a side by side on my Atlas mount. Worried about the weight though. Has anyone out there loaded up their Atlas mount with close to or alittle over the weight limit?

Atlas is mounted in an observatory on a 1" thick slab of aluminum and very solid.

Here's what I am thinking of trying.
C8 - 11.25lbs
AT111 - 15lbs
WO 80mm guide scope - 6.2lbs

That's 32.45lbs

Side by side mount - 6lbs. + dove tails and rings, guide camera and Canon 20Da.

I guessing between 40 - 45lbs total weight. What do you guys think, am I asking too much from the Atlas???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: denjo]
      #5395414 - 08/30/12 06:35 PM

Quote:

I guessing between 40 - 45lbs total weight. What do you guys think, am I asking too much from the Atlas???

For DSO imaging? Yes, I think it's too much. Mounts in this price bracket, the "max load" specification should be interpreted as for visual work or lunar/planetary imaging, with the sort of scope that makes an easy load (short). For DSO imaging, subtract 40-50%.

Jeff in Austin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/26/07

Loc: TEXAS
Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5395561 - 08/30/12 08:21 PM

I ran an Atlas just fine at about 30-32 lbs pier mounted. Wouldn't push it too much further, though.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5395910 - 08/31/12 12:18 AM

I think the best answer is to just try it. The simple fact that you're mounting on a substantial pier rather than a tripod could make a big difference. Balance would be critical and you'd need to insure that you don't have any random vibrations coming from the floor.

Patrick

AstroGabe
sage

Reged: 01/10/10

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: Patrick]
      #5395928 - 08/31/12 12:27 AM

I was also wondering this weeks ago. I figured the total weight would be too much. I was going to use my AT106 and TMB92SS. I calculated the total weight with rings cameras and rails to be right around 40lbs. I instead have a piggyback setup and it works just fine. My first light worked quite well considering the total payload of 36 lbs.

First light:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrogabe/7865979650

Gabe

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: AstroGabe]
      #5397965 - 09/01/12 11:36 AM

I'm imaging at 2000mm f.l. with an EdgeHD 8 and guidescope, total weight of about 35 lbs. on a pier-mounted Atlas, 5 - 10 min. subs. I agree with Patrick, I think the pier makes a big difference and balance is critical. --Keith

denjo
professor emeritus

Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: kw6562]
      #5398631 - 09/01/12 07:55 PM

I was thinking the same thing Keith and Patrick. I always figured the load rating has a lot to do with the tripod supplied. Now that's not the only factor but maybe 50% I'm guessing. Like Celestron new mount, looks like they just went to the heavy duty tripod and boosted the power/load to the motors changing rating from 40lbs to 50lbs.

Balance will be the most critical thing to try and keep the added load from straining on the motors. I think it may be do able if I can keep it under 45lbs and closer to 42-43lbs max.

Thought about selling the WO 80mm guide scope for a 72mm, littest I would want, but that would only save 1/2lb., not enough to justify the hassle.

Thanks everyone for all your good advice. I think I'm going to order a ADM double mount and give it a try. At worst I'ed have to swap the 80mm on and off with the AT111.

Thanks Denjo

denjo
professor emeritus

#5417401 - 09/12/12 02:18 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Well I did it. Got the last parts yesterday and put it all together last night. Did not put the WO 80mm on, would have been just too much weight for the mount. With the Canon 20Da attached I think I'm right around 42-43lbs.

Everything seemed to run smooth, no motor strain or noises. Seems to be well balanced also. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Will have the real test this weekend if the weather cooperates, probably not though, you all know how it goes when you get something new you want to try out.

Anyway, going to let my observatory buddy use the WO 80mm for a guide scope on his C11 mounted right next to mine in the observatory.

I'll post first light for the new mount configuration and let you know if it all works OK.

Clear skies, denjo

Jeff in Austin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/26/07

Loc: TEXAS
      #5418063 - 09/12/12 08:39 PM

I hope it works out for you. Looks like you only have two CW's? I had 3 when running 30-32 lbs.

10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: Jeff in Austin]
      #5418140 - 09/12/12 09:34 PM

Very versatile set up! I have a question, does the Atlas have manual fine adjustment knobs for altitude and azimuth?

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Side by Side on Atlas new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5418321 - 09/12/12 11:05 PM

What it does have I would not call knobs nor would I call fine. The altitude and azimuth adjusters are fairly crude. I like my Atlas, but that's not one of it's bright spots.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 787

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics