Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Sky Map or Skeye for Android?
      #5405029 - 09/05/12 02:46 PM

Hello, I just picked up a Android 4.0 Tablet and have added Sky Map and Skeye and they look pretty cool Apps. Not sure what the difference is between the two would appreciate any feedback from other CN members that are using these.

Thanks,

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ebusinesstutor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Re: Sky Map or Skeye for Android? new [Re: REC]
      #5405923 - 09/06/12 01:19 AM

Skeye is pretty good for a free app. The sky charts in it look more realistic than Google Sky Maps.

I have been using the paid Sky Safari Pro, so I hadn't spent much time with Skeye. So I took it out tonight and played with it and compared it to Sky Safari.

What I liked about Skeye is that it had a full screen view and is a very clean interface. But Sky Safari gives me a huge amount of information about each object - a great help to me when I am doing outreach.

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Sky Map or Skeye for Android? new [Re: ebusinesstutor]
      #5406262 - 09/06/12 10:03 AM

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I think you are right about the realistic charts for the Skeye.
I have recently purchased the Sky Safari Plus, but have problems downloading the program. I bought from the Google play store and it shows "purchased" but when I go to install it shows me the welcome screen released 1.5.1 then then no program?

I have the Sky Safari Icon App on the screen now with all the other Apps installed and they work ok when I tap them. I have sent for help with this to their website, but no reply from them yet?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5406841 - 09/06/12 04:07 PM

I am quite sure that you can get Sky Safari to work. I would just uninstall the application and then go to the PlayStore and reinstall it. The database is large so maybe something happened during the download.

When I am downloading SS, I go to settings, screen and set screen time out to as long as possible. I found that sometimes if the screen times out during a download it messes with the download.

As far as SkyMap vs Skyeye... SkyMap is limited to the Messier objects, Skyeye has some NGC-IC objects.

Jon

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5407099 - 09/06/12 07:16 PM

Quote:

I have the Sky Safari Icon App on the screen now with all the other Apps installed and they work ok when I tap them. I have sent for help with this to their website, but no reply from them yet?

I don't see emails from you about this problem. Could you please report it to "info at southernstars dot com". We will get it straightened out. As Jon suggested you might first try deleting the app and re-downloading.

btschumy

Re: Sky Map or Skeye for Android? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5407102 - 09/06/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

When I am downloading SS, I go to settings, screen and set screen time out to as long as possible. I found that sometimes if the screen times out during a download it messes with the download.

You sure about that. We disable sleeping of the device during the download. Perhaps this doesn't work on some devices, but we do make the appropriate calls to prevent this.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Sky Map or Skeye for Android? new [Re: btschumy]
      #5407720 - 09/07/12 04:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You sure about that. We disable sleeping of the device during the download. Perhaps this doesn't work on some devices, but we do make the appropriate calls to prevent this.

Bill:

At some point along the way between the first beta and 1.51 I found that a screen time out could result in a problem so I just disable the sleep mode to avoid a possible problem. It's good to know that this has been fixed.

Are there are any updates on the horizon?

Jon

btschumy

Re: Sky Map or Skeye for Android? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5407950 - 09/07/12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Are there are any updates on the horizon?

We hope to push an Android update early next week as well as submit a new iOS version to Apple. Just waiting for Tim finish one last feature.

BIll

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Sky Map or Skeye for Android? new [Re: btschumy]
      #5408143 - 09/07/12 11:44 AM

Hello Bill,

I just checked my email and it was sent out on 8/22 to Tim. I just resent the mail again. I did as Jon suggested and uninstalled and install again, but still not working.

The App shows up and is 628kb file size and the program shows installed and the size is 206MB.

Thanks!

Bob

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
      #5536438 - 11/23/12 11:20 PM

The biggest difference between Skeye and Sky Maps is the "push to" virtual digital setting circles. This allows you to mount your device on the OTA and do an alignment that then offsets the sensor(magnometer and accelerometor) data and which allows you to then use the device to help find objects. The down side is it is effected by magnetic fluctuations pretty badly so if you have a steel tube scope say like a Lightbridge then it interferes with the sensors. this can be overcome with multiple alignments and or demagnetizing your OTA.

If you go Skeye, I sugggest the Pro version it has A LOT more objects in is data base and has a nice filter function to be able to show objects in the size and brightness that you're looking for. PLus the dev is working on adding functionality for bluetooth DSC's and built in access to a logging app called Starlog.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2185

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics