Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
More question about the CG-5GT mount
      #5405090 - 09/05/12 03:18 PM

Hello again.. I have more questions about the CG-5gt mount and the alignment.

A friend of mine found this for me:

Alignment

But I still have more questions about this:

1 Does the mount have to be at 45° all the time? ( I live in California )

2 when I get my first star on the " All Star Polar Alignment " calibration. What do I need to do?
1st: Use the hand controller arrows
2nd: Use the mount adjustment screws and the latitude screw
With the purpose to center the star on the crosshairs eyepiece.

3 what do I need to do in order to find a star at south in the hand controller?

4 when I set the mount to north, does it need to be true north or not?


Thanks a lot for the answer and again sorry about my English.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
greju
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/13/05

Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5405094 - 09/05/12 03:22 PM

You need to read the manual!

http://www.nexstarsite.com/Manuals.htm


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: greju]
      #5405099 - 09/05/12 03:27 PM

Ok...thanks... But do I really want some more answers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5405111 - 09/05/12 03:32 PM

1. Is 45 degrees your latitude? I don't think so. California does not go that far north. Your RA/Polar axis, if that is what you are talking about needs to be tilted at an angle equal to your latitude. Or, more simply, tilt it up using the altitude adjustment bolt on the rear till Polaris is centered in the hollow bore or polar scope.

2. Follow the instructions, which can be found in the CGEM manual (downloadable) if they are not in the manual you got. You go-to the star, center the star using the HC, the mount will slew away, you recenter with the alt-az adjusters.

3. Know the name of the star and select it from the named star list.

4. Yes, it must be true north for best results.

5. READ THE MANUAL! Not sure how you expect to get anywhere with this without doing that, and it seems pretty evident you've not read it or not read/understood it thoroughly...

Edited by rmollise (09/05/12 03:34 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5405125 - 09/05/12 03:38 PM

I do read the manual.. The one my fiend sent me... I really try to follow the manual.. But really I try it. I dont want anyone here get mad ok

Sorry for bother you people.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5405144 - 09/05/12 03:49 PM

I am certainly not mad. More like I am concerned. Keep trying with the manual and see if your friend or someone in the local club can help you...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5405155 - 09/05/12 03:54 PM

You know I'm the only one with that kind of mount.. And the people from my club they just get meetings one at month.. Well I'll keep try it.

You know I have this hobby since may and I learn a lot. But it's really frustrating try it and always fail.

Ps. I know how to align the mount.. I just need to learn a best way how to do a best alignment in orden to tracking better. That's way I asking those questions.

But thanks

Edited by Aboy (09/05/12 05:17 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5405449 - 09/05/12 07:05 PM

Aboy,

Approximately where in Ca. are you located?

Stan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5405552 - 09/05/12 08:09 PM

Quote:

Aboy,

Approximately where in Ca. are you located?

Stan




Ventura County. But I like to go to Mt Pinos


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5405625 - 09/05/12 09:31 PM

Aboy,

You're a little bit far away from me. (120 mi) Maybe there is some one closer to you that would be willing to help.

Stan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5405657 - 09/05/12 09:58 PM

Quote:

Aboy,

You're a little bit far away from me. (120 mi) Maybe there is some one closer to you that would be willing to help.

Stan




Well. Yes I can see u are in capristrano... But believe me I drive to over there in orden to learn how to make a better alignment in order to tracking more than 30 seconds.

I do have 2 star party this month at 15 and 22 and I really want to finally get my knowledge ready to take those pictures.

Let me know if u are available this weekend.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5405845 - 09/06/12 12:15 AM

PM sent

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stelios
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5408298 - 09/07/12 01:01 PM

Perhaps (if you're getting poor GoTo's) you haven't paid sufficient attention to this:

"Use up and right motions for the final centering approach."

This is *much more important* than anyone expects, and is not stressed enough. Many times it will be natural to finish the centering with the down or left buttons. *DON'T*. Instead, overshoot a significant amount, and then finish the alignment with the up and right buttons alone.

I would venture to say that if you do a two-star align + 1 calibration star and follow the above *without fail*, all your GoTo's will put objects in a 100 power eyepiece (most of the time in a 200 power eyepiece).

Whenever I have (out of boredom) felt that I could short-circuit on the above, it has resulted in hit-or-miss GoTo's.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stelios
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Aboy]
      #5408313 - 09/07/12 01:08 PM

Answering your original questions:

Quote:


1 Does the mount have to be at 45° all the time? ( I live in California )




The latitude screw allows you to adjust the mount to your latitude. Level the mount, and sight Polaris through the mount hole.

Quote:

2 when I get my first star on the " All Star Polar Alignment " calibration. What do I need to do?
1st: Use the hand controller arrows
2nd: Use the mount adjustment screws and the latitude screw
With the purpose to center the star on the crosshairs eyepiece.



Use the hand controller arrows, finishing *each* approach with the UP and RIGHT arrows (if you can't, overshoot and approach from the other side). The mount adjustment screws/latitude screw should *NOT* be used for this at all.

Quote:

3 what do I need to do in order to find a star at south in the hand controller?


Don't understand the question.

Quote:

4 when I set the mount to north, does it need to be true north or not?


If you can see Polaris through the mount hole, that's good enough for tracking and GoTo, unless you'll be doing astrophotography.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: Stelios]
      #5408835 - 09/07/12 05:57 PM

I'm closer but hopefully you got it straightend out with Stan's help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aboy
sage
*****

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: More question about the CG-5GT mount new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5412895 - 09/10/12 08:53 AM

Quote:

Answering your original questions:

Quote:


1 Does the mount have to be at 45° all the time? ( I live in California )




The latitude screw allows you to adjust the mount to your latitude. Level the mount, and sight Polaris through the mount hole.

Quote:

2 when I get my first star on the " All Star Polar Alignment " calibration. What do I need to do?
1st: Use the hand controller arrows
2nd: Use the mount adjustment screws and the latitude screw
With the purpose to center the star on the crosshairs eyepiece.



Use the hand controller arrows, finishing *each* approach with the UP and RIGHT arrows (if you can't, overshoot and approach from the other side). The mount adjustment screws/latitude screw should *NOT* be used for this at all.

Quote:

3 what do I need to do in order to find a star at south in the hand controller?


Don't understand the question.

Quote:

4 when I set the mount to north, does it need to be true north or not?


If you can see Polaris through the mount hole, that's good enough for tracking and GoTo, unless you'll be doing astrophotography.




Thanks for all the answers I do really appreciate.

Also for the one to the south don't bother... I guess I figure out.
Also too I do want to do astrophography, that's why I ask all this questions.

Quote:

I'm closer but hopefully you got it straightend out with Stan's help.




Hey it doesn't matter... If I can meet more people that can share knowledge with me, I'll be really happy!

Ps. Sorry for my English.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
20 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 766

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics