Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Re: CGEM RA motor making loud jolty noises -emergency new [Re: EFT]
      #5413319 - 09/10/12 01:12 PM

So I had the mount open and just kept doing slight turns and it doesn't seem to have any effect as far as the noise. The motor has been moved around but no change. This has finished me for go to but I think I can still do wide field and if by chance I find anymore dso's tracking is probably okay as at speeds 1-2 it seems alright and also at 9 after a second of stalling / weird noise.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: CGEM RA motor making loud jolty noises -emergency new [Re: corpusse]
      #5413355 - 09/10/12 01:26 PM

if moving the motor around doesn't change the noise you are probably binding the worm on a high spot on the ring gear.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5413382 - 09/10/12 01:37 PM

The problem is not the spur gear spacing but the worm spacing. The spur gears produce noise but they don't bind. Binding comes from the worm and ring gear. Adjusting the worm spacing requires a 5mm and a 2mm allen wrench. If you have those available, drop me a line directly at edwardthomas@deepspaceproducts.com and I will send you some instructions on the adjustment. Otherwise, it is definitely something that you will work on when you HyperTune the mount.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5415049 - 09/11/12 11:48 AM

So I seem to have made things much worse. The mount is no longer moving in RA I think I've knocked the worm. Perfectly clear today too.

I'm going to keep trying but worst case can I flip the mount and use the dec tracking as RA and at least get some milkyway shots?

This truly is a disaster. I've had the mount since 2009 and other then the hand controller going and a few power issues at the start I've never had problems..

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5415094 - 09/11/12 12:14 PM

if the mount is no longer moving in RA maybe the spur gear no longer engages? so the motor turns but the worm does not.

or do you mean the worm is so tight against the worm wheel that the motor stalls?

when you lock the RA clutch, can you move the mount? (if you can then the worm is probably so far away from the worm wheel that it no longer engages)

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: CGEM RA motor making loud jolty noises -emergency new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5415096 - 09/11/12 12:15 PM

oh you could also have pushed the two spur gears so tightly against each other that the motor stalls...

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5415119 - 09/11/12 12:26 PM

It will still move an inch or so but has a lot of trouble doing it.

I gotta go out for a few hours with family but I'll get back before dark an have some time to readjust. Hoping for a miracle. While my original intentions were to just image all night and sleep most of the day my family has other ideas. The funny thing is I'm here in pei for a wedding which already happened and am staying at the bride and grooms house who are on their honeymoon. The family I'm with live close to me in Ontario and I see them often.. It is a lovely place here it's just I would have came for the wedding and stayed maybe one extra day if not for the ap opportunity...

EFT

#5415293 - 09/11/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

oh you could also have pushed the two spur gears so tightly against each other that the motor stalls...

It is very difficult to bind up the axis with the spur gears. You would have to apply quite a bit of pressure using a screwdrive or something as a lever while tightening the motors down to even get near doing that. Binding it with the worm spacing is however quite easy.

EFT

#5415300 - 09/11/12 01:43 PM

It sounds like you adjusted the worm too close to the ring gear. The adjustments are very small. The sweet spot for the adjustment on the stock gears is generally less than 1/2 turn of the adjustment set screws.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5415960 - 09/11/12 07:15 PM

The motor turns and the spur gear no longer engages.. This is where I'm at now. You'd figure by now I'd get it working just by dumb luck...

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5415990 - 09/11/12 07:35 PM

Here is the current sound along with the declination sound at the end which is still normal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVV-pdAJ_c

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5416008 - 09/11/12 07:45 PM

I took the RA motor right out and it's spinning fine but I can't budge the work at all. I did find a tiny piece of broken plastic inside. Its possible that was just always in here but maybe something broke?

EFT

#5416056 - 09/11/12 08:11 PM

Quote:

Here is the current sound along with the declination sound at the end which is still normal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVV-pdAJ_c

That one sounds like you have shifted the motor far enough that the spur gears are no longer meshing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "can't budge the work at all." You will have to explain that a bit more.

There are not many plastic parts in there so take a close look at the motor, encoder and PEC sensor to see if you can identify anything broken or missing. Just about everything (except for the stuff around the motor board) is black plastic.

P.S. The kit is on its way.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5416104 - 09/11/12 08:42 PM

Adjusting the 5mm and 2mm hexes don't seen to have any effect. I guess I'll just keep moving the motor around and hope for a miracle.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

#5416147 - 09/11/12 09:09 PM

I have it moving about an inch either way on slew speed 9. Not much more but it sounds normal. Getting closer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1771

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics