Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup
      #5422087 - 09/15/12 10:04 AM

Hi all,

Just received a new CG-5 ASGT from OPT yesterday. First issue is that even though the HC manual that came with the mount shows a Nexstar + on the cover and contains instructions for that HC, I got an older v4 HC. I called OPT who immediately got defensive and said, "That's the way Celestron packed it, you need to call them". I politely told them that since they were my dealer, I would expect that they would solve the problem for me. After another defensive round with the OPT person (which I'll leave out here), they agreed to open an "Urgent" ticket with Celestron and that I should hear from them next week. I'll see how that goes...

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and set up the mount and controller and make sure I had no other issues while I waited for the HC issue to be resolved.

Going thru the HC setup for a custom site, everything worked until I got to the time zone and the controller would not let me scroll up and down a list which was stuck on Pacific Time. Instead the arrow keys would slew the motors. Ok, that's wierd, so I restarted and had the same problem. I also could not scroll up and down the menu after pressing the Menu button.

I expanded the power connector pin on the mount with a jeweler's screwdriver to make sure the power connection was solid and I am using a 12v 7AH freshly charged battery for the process.

Fortunately, the cable I needed to update the mount's firmware arrived from Woodland Hills yesterday as well, so off I went to make sure everything was updated.

After downloading the Celestron Update software for the HC and MC, I successfully updated the firmware to the latest for both the HC and both motors. Everything was verified and looks good.

I attempted another setup and had the same problems. I also noticed that I could not scroll on the "Daylight Savings Time" option which I didn't notice the first time around because the default showed the correct setting and I simply pressed Enter and went on.

So, I can enter Latitude, Longitude and Local Time, but nothing else.

Am I dead in the water until I get a new HC or do any of you resourceful folks have any suggestions for me to try. I Googled and went on to Celestron's site to look at other HC questins that had been asked and answered, but couldn't find my exact problem.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is my first computerized GEM, so I have no experience here.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5422096 - 09/15/12 10:10 AM

Jim,

You don't use the arrow keys to scroll up and down the list. You use the "UP" (#6) key and the "DOWN" (#9) key to scroll through the list.

Stan

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5422109 - 09/15/12 10:22 AM

Quote:

Jim,

You don't use the arrow keys to scroll up and down the list. You use the "UP" (#6) key and the "DOWN" (#9) key to scroll through the list.

Stan

OOOOOhhh! DOH! Another Homer Simpson moment. No wonder I was slewing the motors.

Thanks, Stan. Kinda works now.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
      #5422173 - 09/15/12 11:08 AM

Quote:

Jim,

Stan

I've always found this kind of counter intuitive. It's not a big deal once get used to it, but it's not quite what I would have expected..

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: tjay]
      #5422223 - 09/15/12 11:39 AM

Hello to Jim Cole...

Your comment:
OOOOOhhh! DOH! Another Homer Simpson moment. No wonder I was slewing the motors.

Don't feel bad. I had my "first light" on a new CG5 last night, and went through the same "drill". We were at a "Pulbic Star Party". Lucky for me, there were a few experienced CG5 users around to help...

After I got everything figured out, the mount worked perfectly, and we enjoyed a wonderfuly evening. The mount "aligned" as it should, and the "GoTos" were spot on.

Today's task is to figure out how to enter SAO numbers... Had some trouble there.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5422238 - 09/15/12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Today's task is to figure out how to enter SAO numbers... Had some trouble there.

David, Just remember with SAOs that you don't enter the complete number, you start by entering the first few digits and then you just scroll to the final selection (using the correct up/down keys ... lol).

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5422240 - 09/15/12 11:55 AM

Thanks for making me feel better, guys. I just did a quick align and told it to go to M42 and it did everything correctly, so so it seems without being able to verify pointing accuracy.

I'm actually surprised that the motors aren't louder. After everything I'd read, I expected a really nasty noise from the motors. Not really bad at all even in my small office.

If I can just get the new controller I paid for, I'll be a happy astronomer!

I'll be ordering my new EON 120 ED f/7.5 in a few minutes, so I'm glad I have a working mount for when it shows up.

Thanks again everyone!

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5422266 - 09/15/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

If I can just get the new controller I paid for, I'll be a happy astronomer!

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it! I actually prefer the key arrangement on the V4 NexStar over that on the NexStar+ hand controller. Of course, it's what I'm used to with my CGE that I've had for over five years and CGEM DX new in early May 2011.
I want to like the keypad layout on the new "+" controller, but I just can't!

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5422271 - 09/15/12 12:19 PM

Good point, Dave, but I'm not used to either one and I'm just making a blind assumption that I want the latest, greatest. Could end up being another DOH! moment.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5422822 - 09/15/12 07:32 PM

What I find odd is when you are scrolling through a list of stars or named objects, up goes down in the alphabet and down goes up in the alphabet..

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Need help w/ new CG-5 ASGT Hand Controller Setup new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5422912 - 09/15/12 08:39 PM

This is what I was told about that...You scroll "DOWN" the list from top to bottom and from A to Z.

Stan

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

#5433950 - 09/22/12 07:47 AM

Thought I would update on the issue with the HC replacement. I got an email this past Monday from Celestron responding to the ticket that OPT had opened. That was faster than expected, only one business day. They requested that I email a copy of my invoice which I did and on Wednesday, they shipped a new Nexstar + HC with a return UPS label to ship the original HC back to Celestron. I should have it on Monday or Tuesday.

After so many stories of bad customer service from Celestron, they get kudos for this support issue. Thanks to OPT, too, even though initially they wanted me to handle the issue myself, they did get the ball rolling.

Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
      #5499343 - 11/01/12 12:18 PM

Some added kudos for OPT. They've always been great to deal with -- and were recently on a similar HC change out (my AGST shipped with the old handcontroller and they did the change out for me).

Based on what I read above, not sure I made the right call, old vs. new, but I do like the way the scroll buttons are made easy to find on the new HC.

I'm fairly close to OPT (things ship from there UPS ground overnight) and three miles from Celestron -- handy when I needed my C5+ optics re-coated 10-12 years ago.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 811

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics