Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
astrodudeKurt

Reged: 08/16/12

Loc: Northern Calif
Slow response from EQMOD new
      #5413829 - 09/10/12 06:02 PM

Greetings all -

I have been hearing great things about EQMOD so I downloaded it & the ASCOM software on my Toshiba laptop last week.
The install went so so (couple of minor gliches) but everything started up and some daytime test showed that the software worked.

However - When I click on any icon in the EQMOD window, there is no response until about 7-12 seconds. Likewise, when I release the mouse button, it takes several seconds until the release is noted.

I have the same slow response when I use a usb-connected game pad.

Next step: I fired up The Sky6 and set Telescope API/EQMOD as the telescope controller and connected. Again, slews are good and accurate, but the response time is 7-12 seconds.

I suspended the scope connectivity and changed the 'scope controller in The Sky6 to Celestron-5 etc and the response to slews was immediate.

So the hardware, cables etc are good.

I then suspended the 'scope, changed back to Telescope API/EQASCOM and re-established the 'scope connection.

The response is immediate now to both the hand controller and the mouse controls using EQMOD. Something about first selecting the Celestron driver seems to set a needed parameter.

I powered everything off (laptop/scope etc) and started over again. If I initially connect to the mount using The Sky6 and use the Celestron 5 as the scope interface, make a quick slew, then change to EQMOD as the interface, everything work just fine all night.

I have done this every night for a week now, so it's not a one time event.

In addition, I also tried using POTH as the mount control, and set the driver to EQMOD. Same results.

My laptop uses a Belkin USB-Serial adapter. Used it for a long time, never any issue with it with other devices. I use the RJ serial connector in the Atlas hand controller, and switch to PC Direct when using EQMOD, and escape out of PC Direct when switching to the Celestron drivers.

I can live with this, but would rather not. Anyone else see this?

Kurt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Slow response from EQMOD new [Re: astrodudeKurt]
      #5413870 - 09/10/12 06:25 PM

Never heard of something like this. EQMOD is very responsive even on my netbook. Could very well be your USB - serial (I use a Keyspan), but I'd bop over to the EQMOD Yahoogroup and get some advice from the gurus.

astrodudeKurt

Re: Slow response from EQMOD new [Re: rmollise]
      #5413956 - 09/10/12 07:19 PM

Thanks Rod. I joined the Yahoo EQMOD mailing list a couple weeks ago - I'll post the above message there & see if anyone has seen something like this.

I did re-installs on the ASCOM and EQMOD software. No change.

Kurt

astrodudeKurt

Re: Slow response from EQMOD new [Re: astrodudeKurt]
      #5417304 - 09/12/12 01:25 PM

Just an update - The Belkin usb-serial adapter (per the YAHOO EQMOD group) is known to NOT work with EQMOD.
Really surprising since it works with everything else I use it with, but it looks like there are delays in the drivers that keep it from reliably working with EQMOD.

Also, the group has a database of known working serial adapters. Keyspan (which Rod mentions above) is known to work.

FYI

Kurt

astrodudeKurt

Re: Slow response from EQMOD - Resolved [Re: astrodudeKurt]
      #5422637 - 09/15/12 05:05 PM

Just an update for future reference:
Replacing the Belkin USB-Serial adapter with a Keyspan (made by Tripp-Lite) USB-Serial adapter resolved the problem. All communications between the mount and EQMOD are fast with no problems.

Kurt

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 533

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics