Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Dave Hederich
sage

Reged: 09/12/07

Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: howard929]
      #5450105 - 10/01/12 12:55 PM

I have a NexStar 60GT mount I'm adapting to carry my 102mm mak, and in the instruction manual it says:

In case of a loss of power, the optical tube can be moved by hand.

I've tried it, and it can be manually moved either up and down or side to side.

However, in the 102GT manual, it says:

In case of a loss of power, the optical tube can be moved up and down by hand.

Odd that they would change that, as the mounts look virtually identical.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: Dave Hederich]
      #5450171 - 10/01/12 01:39 PM

That is a severe drawback if you ask me. Wonder why they made it this way? No doubt to save a couple of bucks, but you should at least be able to move ANY scope manually, if you can't, stay away, unless you like buying lots of batteries or being FULLY dependent upon power.

Also saw the 90mm on the EQ2 mount online for the same price...between the two, I'd go for the 90mm, believe it has a 1000mm f/l as well.

Edited by csrlice12 (10/01/12 01:42 PM)

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5450183 - 10/01/12 01:48 PM

While the Meade DS mount can be used manually,and I have, the design is primarily aimed at Goto operation.It takes careful adjustment of the big knob tightness to get smooth manual motion without floppiness.

I find it is less aggravating to simply have two scopes ne manual and one computer-controlled.Just use the one that best serves the purpose at the time. Of course this means finding real good deals so one can afford two scopes.I really like my old Meade DS 90 white tube 90mm refractor AND my Celestron Firstscope 90 EQ !

svrider1000

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Sylmar, California
Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: BigC]
      #5453583 - 10/03/12 01:55 PM

Hi,

I just sold my XT10i and ETX80AT. I wanted an 102mm or larger refractor so I went to Costco yesterday and bought the Nextstar 102 GT to test out.

I got rid of my f/4.7 dob because I wanted more magnification and go to rather than push to. My ETX80AT was very fast at f/5 I believe and had super wide views also.

Here is a quick personal review from last night which was the first and only time I have used this scope so far.

I am very happy with the 102 GT so far and do not miss my Dob or EXT80 yet. So far I am seeing much more magnified views of objects that I was not able to see very well in the past with my existing eyepieces.

The go to was on the money after aligning it with the moon. The scope can be removed quickly and stored very easily.

Scope is much much quieter than my EXT and 80 GT scopes.

The Moon and Jupiter had no color issues since it is a slower refractor.

I saw the Andromeda galaxy last night better than I have in any of my other scopes.

Cons - The scope vibrates a lot but hopefully I can fix this. Also the scope is very light but super long I need to buy a really low stool or chair because even with the legs fully extended there are times I had to duck down and kneel really low to the ground to view some objects.

Comes with a battery power source that is external but I can live with that.

Works great with my right angle finder scope and regular eye pieces but with my Hyperion it is too heavy for the motor. So I have to use one or the other but not both. Maybe I will sell the RAFS and get a Telrad which I think will be lighter and can be placed higher up on the scope.

I loved the price of $199 and this is all the scope I need for my small back yard and somewhat light polluted area and until I can afford a nice 8 to 11 inch SCT. Also I may put it on a CG4 mount if I can find one at a reasonable price but if I can stabilize the current stand I may not be in a rush.

Edited by svrider1000 (10/03/12 01:59 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: svrider1000]
      #5453648 - 10/03/12 02:31 PM

You'd be able to push mag better on that 10XTi then that 4". You would want a refractor for a wider FOV. Truthfully, a 4" refractor makes a good complimentary scope to a 10' Dob as its probably gonna give better contrast on planets and brighter objects. However, That Dob will see much fainter objects then that 4" refractor would even dream of.

svrider1000

Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5453685 - 10/03/12 02:59 PM

I used my dob every night. I carried it outside and used it. My back is tired now. And wife is mad cause it takes up a room in my house. Where I live at after a certain point the light is not good enough to view what I wanted to see at the magnification I wanted to see it at. I went to my friends with it who had 8 inch and 11 inch SCTs. I saw things I could not see in my 10 inch dob.

Since my yard is so small and my back hurts I was going to get a 6 inch reflector but I figured I would try out a 4 inch refractor first. I think for 200 dollars as I save for a SCT which is also f/10 would not be a bad idea. Plus my eyepieces should be fine on both of them.

I plan on testing this out for a week or so. if I do not like it you know Costco's return policy. Then I may go with a used 6 in reflector or maybe a 6 or 8 inch SCT if I can find one at a really good price. But they will cost more than $200.

Also f/4.7 Dob = wide field of view less magnification on objects. f/9.8 refractor narrower field of view but more magnification on object. And yes of course a 10 inch light bucket can see way more faint objects than a 4 inch anything.

KWB
Postmaster

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet
      #5453709 - 10/03/12 03:17 PM

Hello and welcome svrider

FWIW,A 1200mm focal length, 10 inch dob is going to have more magnification using the same eyepiece(say a 10mm 52° AFOV plossl)than the 1000mm focal length,4 inch refractor,not less magnification.

This same eyepiece provides a slightly wider TFOV in the refractor(about .050 versus .040) than the dobsonian.

My 10 inch,F/5 GSO dob actually takes up less floor space than my 90mm,F/10 refractor/EQ3 setup. Good luck and enjoy whatever setup you have or so choose to use. A telescope that gathers dust from not being used is as good as useless.

Jim Nelson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: SE Michigan
      #5453714 - 10/03/12 03:21 PM

Quote:

Also f/4.7 Dob = wide field of view less magnification on objects. f/9.8 refractor narrower field of view but more magnification on object

The dob has a 1200mm focal length; the refractor about a 1000mm focal length. For any given eyepiece, the Dob will have somewhat higher magnification. The top power for the refractor will be around 200x (given the 50x/inch rule of thumb). The top power for the dob is much more than that, although atmospheric conditions and manual tracking may keep the practical power limit to 300x or less.

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
      #5453721 - 10/03/12 03:25 PM

Quote:

Also f/4.7 Dob = wide field of view less magnification on objects. f/9.8 refractor narrower field of view but more magnification on object.

250mm Dob @ F4.7 = 1175mm focal length. 102mm refractor @ F9.8 = 1000mm focal length....Magnification = Focal length of primary divided by focal length of eyepiece = same eyepiece gives more mag in the dob.

Conclusion: Either I'm missing something, or . . .

svrider1000

#5453888 - 10/03/12 05:20 PM

Guys sorry if I am saying this wrong. Without buying any new eyepieces I am seeing some M object more than I did with my other scopes. I am not sure if it because of light pollution or what. I am not saying that if I put the same sized in both the 102mm and the 254mm. Of course the Dob would win but because the FOV was so wide and I wanted to see objects larger in my eyepiece with less width I decided to try the 102mm which has a more narrow field of view.

I hope that makes sense.

Jim Nelson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: SE Michigan
      #5453911 - 10/03/12 05:39 PM

Quote:

I hope that makes sense.

Actually...not really. Sorry!

If you're using the same eyepieces on the dob and the refractor, the refractor will have a wider field of view and lower magnification and the objects will appear smaller.

If you're using the scope in a different *location* as well, then that could make a difference - many dim fuzzies will appear "larger" in darker skies, because the fainter outer portions will come into view.

svrider1000

Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: Jim Nelson]
      #5453939 - 10/03/12 06:07 PM

These scopes are too far apart in size to compare with the same exact sized eyepiece. I am more saying I want a slower scope rather than a faster scope.

This is what I have been seeing all over when i get the cash I am going SCT.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4923095/Main/4922952

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5454007 - 10/03/12 07:02 PM

Hey, as long as you can track, go with the narrow FOV, and those plossels will do you fine. The mount will be steadier as you shorten the legs.

tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5454413 - 10/04/12 12:22 AM Attachment (61 downloads)

Tested this scope out a few days ago. The SkyAlign 3-star alignment didn't work (it slewed the scope to the wrong location), but the 2-star align did the trick. All objects I selected were within the field of view through my 40mm eyepiece (25X magnification). Looking forward to good times with this scope.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5459337 - 10/07/12 02:02 PM

So what's the difference between this mount and a Nexstar SLT? I'll be darned if I can figure out what the deal is.

-Rich

svrider1000

#5459390 - 10/07/12 02:35 PM

tnakazon

How was your night out? Yesterday I bought a used 40mm Televue Plossl for $50. I was very impressed. I have used it at 40mm then 20mm with 2x Barlow. Then I really pushed it with 4 x using two 2x Barlows to 10mm. The sky was not very clear but the Moon and Jupiter still looked very good through it.

I viewed Jupiter at 10 with my Hyperion at 10mm then 5mm. the images were very clear and I could see 3 or 4 bands. I cannot wait to to see it on a more clear night. I also used my 6mm and 4mm plossls and the views were just as good. So far I have take this scope down to 4mm and was able to view Jupiter just fine.

Still my only issue is the telescope is so long that it can move up and down to easily by accident and I lose my alignment sometimes. I am hoping I can tighten it up some to compensate for this.

svrider1000

#5459893 - 10/07/12 11:14 PM

I took the chance and tightened the screw where the dovetail goes and now it is tight and holds my Right Angle Finder and huge Baader Hyperion eyepiece perfectly.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5459951 - 10/08/12 12:17 AM

Wow- that would seem to be the one missing datum. These things seem too good to be true. But then again, Costco deals in volume, so maybe this is what's possible with enough orders.

-Rich

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5460008 - 10/08/12 01:48 AM

It has been said numerous times that most of these inexpensive scopes have a good objective,and I note these new owners using high end eyepieces not the stock ones.

And maybe someone's 10" Dob had a mirror needing collimation OR a mirror that just barely passed the quality test at the factory.With mass production some will get a really great mirror,some a miror that barely passes ,and most a good mirror.It is not the user fault if he gets the lemon in a batch of peaches.

Because I would expect the view to be better in the 10" scope .

The BEST scope for anyone is still the scope they use ,not the one with better "specd" sitting in the closet.

I wonder how this Celestron 102 1000mm compares in view and operation to Meade's 102 800mm ? Both scopes seem to be limited availability .There are plenty of dealers offering the short Celestron 102 600mm.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Nexstar 102 GT new [Re: BigC]
      #5460265 - 10/08/12 09:13 AM

I played with one on display at Costco, yesterday. The azimuth axis does release and let you push it. It was stiffer than the altitude, and I can see a some adjustment would vastly improve it.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26805

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics