Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #5506945 - 11/06/12 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope some of the more virulent detractors of Stan's observations will at least step back and consider this new report.

It ain't going to happen, David's post above explains why. Stan is making this stuff up plain and simple.

The guy that is really making stuff up is on the ballot today .
How many actually still believe in the falicy is amazing but they don't believe Stan's observations . Go figure .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: starrancher]
      #5506981 - 11/06/12 02:11 PM

CPellier showed the feature does indeed exist in the visual spectrum, however it might be overwhelmed by higher frequency, unfiltered light and a casual glance. Maybe a red filter can help. But, there is still the problem of it being very low contrast (~1%) made more difficult in any level of seeing and with insufficient magnification. Others should be able to repeat Stanislas observations, especially in larger apertures. Some have, apparently. Best I can observe, unfiltered, is some seeing induced albedo fluctuation and limb darkening.

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/22/08

Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5507063 - 11/06/12 03:19 PM

The use of a 150mm is problematic, possible if a refractor of good facture and not necessary to go to an apo. THis is the PTV/ rms of the optics that win in first.
Don't go to a red filter visually a yellow will be enough with moderate aperture (the W8 or 12).
Personnally a perfect clear aperture of 120mm is enough for capturing. But have a target of 150mm to be more confortable, relatively, this is a mewlon 180 (120mm equivalent), a newton 200 with 20-25% CO (150mm), a good C9.25 (140-150mm), etc...
The newton 200 with excellent optics can do, is less sensitive to seeing and can support 333-400x which is good entry. The rest will depend on yourself.
Try, with average to good nights. You will see.
The refractor that I have here of 150mm is possible (138mm with the yellow filter) with 300-375x, more stable against seeing.
Good hope.
Stanislas-Jean

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: stanislas-jean]
      #5507975 - 11/07/12 07:09 AM

And while 120mm is the minimum several observers can view through the 1 meter scope
On Picdu midi at 1000x and seenothing. How do you favor a 120mm aperture when the other showeda bald disc?

No matter how you justify if Stan there are glairing didcrepencies. If yiu can see something with a 120mm instrument no matter how subtle it'd be plain as day through that scope.

Pete

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5507986 - 11/07/12 07:38 AM

Read the previous posts you will have answers rather to get right for any or all reasons imaginable by you.
Stanislas-Jean

Hal9000
sage

Reged: 02/13/06

Loc: Liverpool, England.
      #5508026 - 11/07/12 08:27 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

Sorry, I've always been lead to believe that any features on Uranus are not visible (when trying to observe in the optical). Personally, I've only ever seen a fuzzy green/blue ball. (similar to the image attached). Am I correct? or is Stanislas onto something? Al.

Al.

telescopemullet
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/09

#5508150 - 11/07/12 10:23 AM

Quote:

Read the previous posts you will have answers rather to get right for any or all reasons imaginable by you.
Stanislas-Jean

You are insane if you think your telescope is going to provide views that a 1-meter telescope cannot.

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #5508274 - 11/07/12 12:03 PM

Insane you are if you think any telescope goes away than 2% feature contrast level on the planet. Even a 1km diameter. Tell me which trade name can do, except your mind.
Do you capture, 2%, physically?
Stanislas-Jean

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: Hal9000]
      #5508703 - 11/07/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

Personally, I've only ever seen a fuzzy green/blue ball. (similar to the image attached). Am I correct? or is Stanislas onto something?

Well, that does seem to be the question here.
Pick a side, and jump in!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5508753 - 11/07/12 05:25 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I've always been lead to believe that any features on Uranus are not visible (when trying to observe in the optical). Personally, I've only ever seen a fuzzy green/blue ball. (similar to the image attached). Am I correct? or is Stanislas onto something? Al.

Al.

Well, I have come to pretty much the same conclusion after observing Uranus over the years in telescopes from 8 inches to 24 inches in aperture. It has been pretty much a blank slate each time as far as significant markings are concerned, although the planet does show some limb darkening right at the edges of the disk. In my 14 inch f/4.6 Newtonian last night, it was a pretty pale bluish ball with the limb darkening but not much else. On a whim, I tried a red filter (Wratten #23a) to see if that might bring out something. That red filter really enhanced the limb darkening, making the planet look like reddish ball with a small brighter almost specular middle, but it also dimmed it to a point where I couldn't use much more than 384x on it and still hope to see much. I guess employing that red filter on dim bluish Uranus will require the use of a much larger scope than my 14 inch. I may try a yellow filter or my NPC Neodymium (minus-violet) filter to see what happens, but based on previous experience, I am not holding out much hope for any belt detail to become visible. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5508817 - 11/07/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

Personally, I've only ever seen a fuzzy green/blue ball. (similar to the image attached). Am I correct? Al.

Sorry AI, you are wrong. Take a good look at that image you posted. I see a bright equatorial zone .

Pete

David Knisely
Postmaster

#5508894 - 11/07/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Personally, I've only ever seen a fuzzy green/blue ball. (similar to the image attached). Am I correct? Al.

Sorry AI, you are wrong. Take a good look at that image you posted. I see a bright equatorial zone .

Pete

Uh, no, AI is pretty much correct. That particular image has the pole of the planet facing roughly towards the sun (it was taken by Voyager 2 back in 1986. The equator would be barely visible only along the limb of the planet close to the terminator. The visible light color image he posted does not show any significant band-like detail, although some representations do show a few very small slightly lighter clouds which would be far below Earth-based resolution. The bands were only seen in highly-processed deep red (methane band) Voyager images. Now, they can also be seen in some deep red and infrared images of the planet taken from Earth. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5508904 - 11/07/12 07:27 PM

I was kidding Dave.

Pete

Hal9000
sage

#5509038 - 11/07/12 09:03 PM

I thought my eyes where deteriorating!
Al

Hal9000
sage

#5509045 - 11/07/12 09:10 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

I think there may be a bit of this going on... below!

Al.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5509060 - 11/07/12 09:20 PM

Hubble photo!

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Uranus cloud bands in a C8 new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5509306 - 11/08/12 01:38 AM

No from their personnal keck found in minds!
Stanislas-Jean

David Knisely
Postmaster

#5509315 - 11/08/12 01:51 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

Well, I got some of the best seeing and transparency I have had in a long time. Uranus was as tack-sharp as I have seen it recently, and even at only 135x, Oberon was quite easily visible at some distance south of the planet. In fact, it was quite a bit easier to see than Titania was, as both Titania and Ariel were both close to the 'glare" area of the planet (didn't see Umbriel at all). As usual, while the disk was quite well defined with some limb darkening, the disk showed nothing else with certainty. I tried a yellow "minus-violet" filter I have for my refractor, but it didn't reveal anything either. Below is the sketch of what I saw tonight. I was also treated with an outstanding view of the transit of Io across Jupiter, so the seeing was pretty good all across the sky. In fact, at 596x, I could sometimes see the diffraction patterns of stars for more than a second or two, although seeing deteriorated as the wind picked up a little and the temperature went below 40F.

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

#5509344 - 11/08/12 02:35 AM

Nice photo, but others do (see the alpo jap site and BAA section).
Stanislas-Jean

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5509376 - 11/08/12 04:21 AM

That's a visual sketch.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16454

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics