Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
EJN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5466225 - 10/12/12 12:55 AM

Silence has fallen.

The end.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: EJN]
      #5467289 - 10/12/12 07:16 PM

Only 42 more replies and we set a new record for replies/responses in this speciality forum.

Anyone game?

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #5467519 - 10/12/12 10:59 PM

Somebody did some digging!

Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: EJN]
      #5467843 - 10/13/12 08:12 AM

Quote:

Silence has fallen.

The end.

Well, I think it's my fault for "outing" Otto for being a Vulcan...

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Andy Taylor]
      #5468137 - 10/13/12 11:38 AM

Live long and do-whatever-the-hell-it-is-you-do.

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

#5468142 - 10/13/12 11:41 AM

whatever-the-hell-it-is-you-do....

.....I just read, Andy, your work has been in the lens and projector engineering of the UK film industry. We have this wondeful thing in the US called public television. They often show old black and white films; a good number of which come from the UK. Along with some other British films coverning the time since, I have become impressed with the quality of what the film industry in the UK has produced.

Otto

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#5468283 - 10/13/12 12:54 PM

If this thread keeps going, it will be just for Keeping Up Appearances.

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5468533 - 10/13/12 04:03 PM

yes yes..the Brits' B&W "The X-Unknown" was fantastic...

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: scopethis]
      #5468596 - 10/13/12 04:36 PM

I have never heard of the X-Unknown, but it sounds very good.

Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
      #5468639 - 10/13/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

yes yes..the Brits' B&W "The X-Unknown" was fantastic...

Sorry - I only work on mundane stuff like "Skyfall"...

Plug Plug...

By the way - we had a break in last week. They got away with 1/2 million UK quids worth of Zeiss Master Prime lenses...

How many posts to go..?

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
      #5468715 - 10/13/12 06:08 PM

I wonder what philosophy led to the Burma Shave signs????

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
      #5468771 - 10/13/12 07:10 PM

But for the recent Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event (about 65.5 million years ago), this thread would have been less likely. N'est-ce pas?

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5468902 - 10/13/12 08:44 PM

you only get to claim the record if you break the record AFTER subtracting your own posts from the total

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Mister T]
      #5469139 - 10/14/12 12:02 AM

Y'all wouldn't be upset if this portion of the thread got moved to the Off Topic Observatory, would you?

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Mister T]
      #5469430 - 10/14/12 09:04 AM

Quote:

you only get to claim the record if you break the record AFTER subtracting your own posts from the total

Thats right Otto, commenting on how many replies there are does not add to the total.

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5469606 - 10/14/12 11:16 AM

This raises the old argument of quantity vs. quality, but that brings to mind Josef Stalin's famous remark when questioned about his immense but very poorly trained and equipped armies. "Quantity has a quality all its own," he said.

Edited by ColoHank (10/14/12 11:17 AM)

idealistic
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/10

Loc: massachusetts
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5470714 - 10/14/12 10:41 PM

I agree. As a regular lurker of this particular forum, I think Otto deserves the record. Whether he gets it or not.... I did my best.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
      #5470921 - 10/15/12 01:55 AM

Quote:

2. This definition of nature (i.e. nature-4) only came into existence when the concept of artifice entered human awarenes
6. Within the Hebrew culture and parts of Greek philosophy

Otto, your Judeo-Christian parochialism is showing through a bit too potent here. The realization of 'artificial' MUST predate Homo sapiens. After all, our ancestor Homo habilis didn't get his name from nowhere. Do you think Homo erectus couldn't tell the tools or campfire pit left behind from some other group of hominids didn't fall down from heaven? The awareness of 'artificial' vs 'natural' predates Homo sapiens, and we inherited this understanding from our savvy ancestors, already well aware of the difference. And they weren't speaking Greek or Hebrew.

As for intelligent life and your insistence on a 2.5 billion year head start, maybe that's just plain wrong. Maybe there are a fair number of Medieval civilizations spread throughout the galaxy. They may have already past the Plato plate, put haven't had their Protestant Reformation yet. BTW, if you're reading this, you have to thank Martin Luther. Take a look at literacy rates in northern Germany from 1500-1550 -- the 1st time in Earthling hominid history that a mass population, not just the elites and clergy, were made literate by ecclesiastical and governmental policy. That may be a bit hard to swallow, Otto, but them's the facts. Until the counter reformation, the Roman world was fundamentally illiterate and happy to keep it that way (as were the Confusian, Hindi, Islamic and all other medieval religious societies of the pre-Luther era).

But it took the printing press AND a simple alphabet AND the political freedom the Reformation afforded (thanks to Gutenberg, the Romans of 500BC and Luther and the northern German kings) to light the spark that let the human mind soar, ultimately unshackled by medieval belief systems (tho they didn't give up without a fight, as Galileo, the 30 Year's War, and more recently Alan Turing demonstrated). The march to Marx, Freud, Jung, Anthony, Bohr and Steinem unleashed.

How many other civilizations might we find still clinging to superstitious dogmas? Unable to achieve the Lutherian threshold, and bound to outdated and archaic 'natural philosophies' by the likes of Artistole? Perhaps a good philosopher, but a pathetic scientist (fire, earth, water, and air? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ...)

Shine a star for you to see
What your life can truly be.

I'm with Jarad, we have no N=1, other than us, and we are, at present, unable to reach anyone, really, in our present technological state. But give us 500,000 years. You know Homo sapiens hasn't even been around that long yet.

You've come a long way, baby
To get where you've got to today
You've come a long, long way now baby
You've come a long, long way

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

#5471518 - 10/15/12 12:56 PM

skyfall...as in the most recent iteration of the Bond saga...which just came out?

sorry about the lenses! What's the loss in dollars? (What is a quid in relation to a pound.)

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #5471578 - 10/15/12 01:25 PM

You, wrote, Collin, "As for intelligent life and your insistence on a 2.5 billion year head start, maybe that's just plain wrong."

What is the average age of main sequence stars in the entire Milky Way galaxy?

35 years ago, A monk, Myron Effing, who studied at Cornell under Sagan and now works in Russia taught me astronomy and introduced me to the concepts of generation 1/2 and population 1/2 stars. 35 years ago means my information is probably as out of date as my memory is lacking of what I was actually taught.

Anyway, as I recall and understand, sol type stars are the average. Sol type stars exist in the spiral arms and in the galactic core region. They all have a c. 10 billion year fusion span whether in the core or in the arms. However, the ones in the core formed first (thus called Generation 1). On average these generation 1 stars have about a 5 billion year head star on stars in the arms (Generation 2). Thus, a five billion year head start for life to occur, evolution to work, sentience to form, technology to be developed.

Sol (The sun) formed at the end of the current range of generation 2 stars, thus it is younger than most of the generation 2 stars. Since the rest of the generation 2 stars are between the same age as our sun and about 5 billion years in advance, the average works out to about a 2.5 billion year advantage.

Being conservative, I then gave an average for all stars in the Milky Way, an average of 2.5 billion years time to develop evolutionarily and develop any technology they might have.

It is the foregoing I would deeply appreciate any and everyone who knows the astronomy better, to clarify and correct the issues of what are gen 1/ gen 2 stars and the average age of star systems in our galaxy which potentially have a goldilocks zone of sufficient duration for life/sentient life/technology to develop.

Edited by Otto Piechowski (10/15/12 02:25 PM)

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19367

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics