Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)
shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: motorcitymik]
      #5800364 - 04/15/13 11:55 AM

Ok I looked at that . Dude claims he can remote view, sorry but that makes everything he will ever say just garbage.
Look, this is what it boils down to, people who believe in aliens visiting us don't need evidence, they need confirmation.
Government spending billions to cover it up, what a joke, somebody's been watching too many Bourne movies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: motorcitymik]
      #5800786 - 04/15/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

No Evidence?!! Check out Dr.Steven Greer and the Disclosure Project.500+ Well respected Air force pilots,Generals,High ranking military officials,civilian pilots,CIA,FBI,NSA officials.All swearing under oath at an congressional hearing, as to what they have seen, been party to, First hand knowledge! Take a look at that, then tell me there is No Evidence!

Here's where we merge with the "extraordinary claims" thread. There's a difference between anecdotal and material evidence, even when the former is presented by General So-and-So. Show me the latter, and I'll be more inclined to believe.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5801068 - 04/15/13 05:31 PM

Hundreds of witnesses, and not a single photograph that isn't either blurry, looking like a pie tin tossed in the air, or an alien shaking hands with Bill Clinton.

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5801200 - 04/15/13 06:22 PM

"Whuddya mean take me to your leader? Ah'm thuh leader!"

-drl

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5801364 - 04/15/13 07:31 PM

that's because they have perfected the we don't show up in pictures cloaking device.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #5855640 - 05/12/13 02:43 PM

Did not want to start a whole new thread, and this is just a stray thought,not something i believe, and actually, more a bit of dark humor than anything else.

Premise: We know the therapod dinosaurs are the ancestors of birds, and many had feathers, etc.
Speculation: when the sun rose, the males would "sing" to mark their territories.
Speculation: Many spacefaring civilizations.

Idea: During our Jurassic & Cretaceous, Earth was one of the most popular "eco-tourism" destinations in the Orion arm. But. when the Chicxulub mass extinction occurred, interest ib earth dropped like a rock, so to speak....

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: moynihan]
      #5855668 - 05/12/13 02:58 PM

that means we're gonna find a tour pamphlet written in strange language...

Pess
(Title)

Reged: 09/12/07

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5856325 - 05/12/13 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No Evidence?!! Check out Dr.Steven Greer and the Disclosure Project.500+ Well respected Air force pilots,Generals,High ranking military officials,civilian pilots,CIA,FBI,NSA officials.All swearing under oath at an congressional hearing, as to what they have seen, been party to, First hand knowledge! Take a look at that, then tell me there is No Evidence!

Here's where we merge with the "extraordinary claims" thread. There's a difference between anecdotal and material evidence, even when the former is presented by General So-and-So. Show me the latter, and I'll be more inclined to believe.

The trouble is when someone sees something they can't explain. And that something is extraordinary.....theyjump to the most outlandish possible explanation.

So that bobbing stick is the Loch Ness Monster and not, you know, a bobbing stick.

Many experts and professionals genuinely saw something they regarded as extraordinary. However, it was more than likely something ordinary seen in an extraordinary way.

In this day and age when every single person has a high resolution camera in their hand (cell phone) We still have no clear picture of ALF.

Pesse (la la la la de da)Mist

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Pess]
      #5856577 - 05/12/13 11:28 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Sure we do. They invaded our garden a couple of years back.

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
      #6275317 - 12/27/13 12:36 PM

It has been over a year since I started this thread entitled, The Silence is Deafening.

Since then I have continued to put in my hours of observing the night sky. So far, since that first post, my observations have provided no evidence of the existence of intelligent/sentient life elsewhere in the universe.

In short, the silence is even more deafening.

(Actually, what is going on here, is that this thread has gotten a little boring lately. I thought that maybe an-oldie-but-goodie (this particular thread) might get our juices flowing again. (Also, I miss hearing/reading the comments of old friends; Jarad, Joad, EJN, Henry, Dave, UND, Danny, I'm forgetting a few)).

So, we have had another year and four months of no evidence of anyone out there which is intelligent and/or sentient. Is there any point at which the continuing silence constitutes satisfying proof that we are alone? another year of silence? a decade? a thousand years? ten thousand years?

Otto

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#6275376 - 12/27/13 01:22 PM

It's two days after Christmas, Otto. People are too busy playing with their toys to be philosophical.

That said, why do you have a deadline? Maybe it's not about how much time you spend searching, but how and where you search?

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

#6275401 - 12/27/13 01:40 PM

Thanks Dave. Merry Christmas and a blessed 2014 to you and yours.

The question which really interests me in this regard of the continued silence is, should a long time pass in which every attempt to attain evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence/sentience is negative, with the result that the human race comes to accept that, whether or not there is intelligence/sentient out-there, we are never going to make contact/have contact with it…should this come to pass, what will be the political, psychological, social, religious, spiritual, relational impacts of this assumption?

Again, what will be the impact upon itself, of humanity reaching the conclusion there is, for all practical purposes, no one else out-there?

Otto

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

#6275402 - 12/27/13 01:42 PM

Dave,

That photo of that scary insect in your garden…what is that?

Otto

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#6275467 - 12/27/13 02:22 PM

Quote:

The question which really interests me in this regard of the continued silence is, should a long time pass in which every attempt to attain evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence/sentience is negative, with the result that the human race comes to accept that, whether or not there is intelligence/sentient out-there, we are never going to make contact/have contact with it…should this come to pass, what will be the political, psychological, social, religious, spiritual, relational impacts of this assumption?

I think we know the answer, in a way. It is human civilization as we experience it right now. ET life is for most folks, an entertainment genre. Other than that, well, the general world view we have. Carl Sagan put it well, the demon haunted world.

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: moynihan]
      #6275557 - 12/27/13 03:09 PM

I have never heard that phrase before, nor Sagan's association with it.

What do you think he meant by "demon haunted world", Jay?

Otto

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6275594 - 12/27/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

It has been over a year since I started this thread...
Is there any point at which the continuing silence constitutes satisfying proof that we are alone? another year of silence? a decade? a thousand years? ten thousand years?

Otto

so you have investigated (marginally completely) a 1 light year radius bubble of the Cosmos.

since the "observable" is 46 BILLION light years across...

I guess you have to tell us if <0.000 000 000 000 1 % constitutes an effective basis for your hypothesis.

but were you satisfied before you even started?

Happy Festivus btw

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Mister T]
      #6275609 - 12/27/13 03:47 PM

I think technology s going to make it more difficult for us to find out. Alien beings can now have all the dialogue they want in forums and chat rooms like this without giving themselves away.

Rudra

Reged: 07/02/10

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Mister T]
      #6275618 - 12/27/13 03:52 PM

The vast distances between the planets, solar systems, galaxies are perhaps Nature's way of keeping Earthlings and alien life forms in isolation from each other, so that each one could flourish and not dominate or wipe out the other.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#6275685 - 12/27/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

I have never heard that phrase before, nor Sagan's association with it.

What do you think he meant by "demon haunted world", Jay?

Otto

“If we can't think for ourselves, if we're unwilling to question authority, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.”
&#8213; Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Been awhile since i read the book. the phrase / title refers to the biological in origin baggage we carry with us that expresses as superstition, irrationality, basic fears....

A read excerpt from the book

Edited by moynihan (12/27/13 04:45 PM)

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#6275750 - 12/27/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dave. Merry Christmas and a blessed 2014 to you and yours.

Again, what will be the impact upon itself, of humanity reaching the conclusion there is, for all practical purposes, no one else out-there?

Otto

And to you too, Otto. I hope it's a good one for you.

Usually, when we go about looking for something, we have a pretty good idea what it is we're searching for. What it is determines where and how you look. Unlike the drunk in the joke, when we're looking for our car keys, we don't search under a street light just because it's light there. We search where we remember them to be, or where we would logically expect them to have been placed previously.

At the moment, though, when it comes to sentience elsewhere, we're doing the equivalent of looking under street lights. Why would we expect to find anything there? Before we even start thinking about intelligent life, we have an entire host of other unknowns to wade through. For every intelligent species, one can guess that there would be millions, if not billions, of life forms that have not evolved intelligence. Even on Earth, bacteria still make up the overwhelming majority of biomass, and of number of species. The bacteria in our intestines outnumber all the cells of our bodies as it is. So it might be wiser to look for signs of any life at all, to understand how life originates. It's got to go through a primitive form before it can get to an advanced form, and right now we don't really know anything about primitive forms other than on our own planet. So let's start crawling before we make pronouncements about other sprinters.

The bug, by the way, is Lytta magister, the "Master Blister Beetle". As ferocious as it may seem, it eats mostly flower petals as an adult, and is completely harmless and inoffensive -- unless you make the mistake of squashing one. Then you know how it got its name.

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19884

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics