Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: dickbill]
      #6290862 - 01/04/14 12:17 AM

Quote:

Funny, they don't believe in God but they believe in demons, it doesn't make sense.

Come to think of it, I did read something to that effect in "The Weekly World News" a number of years back.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: llanitedave]
      #6290870 - 01/04/14 12:24 AM

I think we do not let evolution in the Darwinian sense by protecting the weak, feeble, curing disease etc.. The more civilized societies don't allow it.

dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6291481 - 01/04/14 10:39 AM

check the feature video at
http://phl.upr.edu/
on polarized light from exoplanets.
Apparently the EU has 2 big mirrors in preparations, not just one.

Ekyprotic

Reged: 11/28/12

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Muffin Research]
      #6301331 - 01/09/14 04:42 AM

inorganic life is a possibility- we only have a sample size of one- so "as we know it" may actually be vastly in the minority as far as different types of biochemistry are concerned

Ekyprotic

#6301332 - 01/09/14 04:45 AM

maybe our level of technological development only lasts for a short time before life destroys itself OR moves onto something we might not be able to detect

Ekyprotic

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: EJN]
      #6301337 - 01/09/14 04:49 AM

why would you say wormholes are "impossible"? Kip Thorne of CalTech believes otherwise. also you wouldn't have to go "faster than light" to traverse a distance in less time then it takes light to conventionally go that way, as per the NYT article I was reading NASA scientists are conducting research right now into the folding of space.

Muffin Research
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/28/07

Loc: Belgium
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Ekyprotic]
      #6301504 - 01/09/14 08:22 AM

Quote:

inorganic life is a possibility- we only have a sample size of one- so "as we know it" may actually be vastly in the minority as far as different types of biochemistry are concerned

Maybe but on the earth-like planets we are looking for because we are scanning for the elements we like, isn't it possible that on those worlds very similar constructions might be formed?

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6301709 - 01/09/14 10:19 AM

Wormholes are a theoretical idea. GR and string theories have problems at the limit of black holes. Some solutions predict wormholes but they are not fact by any means. Also, Would you fly into a black hole?

maugi88
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
      #6302033 - 01/09/14 12:57 PM

Um, if someone else did first. And came back of course.

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
      #6302884 - 01/09/14 07:50 PM

Quote:

I think we do not let evolution in the Darwinian sense by protecting the weak, feeble, curing disease etc.. The more civilized societies don't allow it.

It's still happening, we are just changing the selection criteria. Some criteria that were once 'hard stop' selection items, are no longer. Polio would be a good example. Other selection criteria that were once inconsequential, are now brought to the forefront.

That is in fact the premise on which Darwin based his writings. He is often misquoted with 'survival of the fittest', which in fact he never said and/or wrote. What he wrote was 'survival of the most adaptable'.

For Darwinian evolution to happen, it's a case of who adapts best to changing conditions, ie, changing the selection of the criteria. This is happening a lot today in our modern human society, and much to the chagrin of some, 'fittest' is not a primary selection item anymore within our population. Thru modern medicine, many folks that would have been deemed 'unfit' in historical reference, are cured of problems trivially at an early age, and go on to lead full lives. That is an adaptation, in action. The human population is adapting to modern medicine, which makes many historical 'fit' selection criteria, obsolete.

Edited by groz (01/09/14 08:00 PM)

Ekyprotic

Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: groz]
      #6303433 - 01/10/14 02:51 AM

No lol, the idea of flying into a black hole and turning into spaghetti isn't very inviting lol.

However I've been reading about spinning black holes (Kerr?) and how they have ring singularities so there might be a way to avoid the shredder with these? Also, the large black holes at the center of galaxies are actually not that dense at all and from what I've read- you wouldn't even know you were inside its event horizon?

Some interesting ideas I read about in Brian Greene's books- another was the possibility of a spinning charged black hole generating a universe within it (and the possibility of our own universe having been generated in this way) as well as Roger Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology and "patterns" in the CMBR he found- however this is hotly debated. The Baum Frampton cyclic model seems to have some things going for it- among others, it uses dark energy to predict an oscillating universe. Long ways to go still.

Ekyprotic

#6303435 - 01/10/14 02:54 AM

I would like to think that we're evolving towards higher intelligence, but I was reading a Stanford study awhile back that indicated humanity peaked in intelligence between 2000 and 5000 yrs ago? I wonder how they determined that.

At any rate, once we find a cure to cancer (it's not as far off as you might think) expect another boost in the breeding baseline.

Ekyprotic

#6303436 - 01/10/14 02:55 AM

Yes it is- but I'm also interested in silicon based life as a possibility- particularly since silicon is so similar to carbon AND we use silicon in our computers.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
      #6303856 - 01/10/14 10:21 AM

Quote:

I would like to think that we're evolving towards higher intelligence, but I was reading a Stanford study awhile back that indicated humanity peaked in intelligence between 2000 and 5000 yrs ago? I wonder how they determined that.

At any rate, once we find a cure to cancer (it's not as far off as you might think) expect another boost in the breeding baseline.

One has to be careful with studies like that. There is some evidence that brain size was larger a few thousand years ago in certain areas than it is today -- but brain size is only weakly correlated with intelligence. Neandertals had generally larger brains than modern humans, but there is no indication that their intelligence was greater.

The organization and wiring of the brain is as important as its size, and that unfortunately doesn't fossilize well.

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

#6304072 - 01/10/14 12:13 PM

Of course evolution is still going on for humans but the question is, what sort of evolution give the heavy influence of technolgy, medicine, social/political structures?

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
      #6304102 - 01/10/14 12:29 PM

Quote:

There is no cure for cancer in the near future. To find a cure, would kill the single largest fund raising industry on this planet. The absolute LAST thing all those fund raising organizations want, is a cure. It's like cutting the head off of the golden goose.

As for changing the breeding baseline, cancer typically effects the population after breeding ages. It'll have no effect on the breeding population, other than ensure more of them have grandparents alive thru the early part of the brood rearing cycle.

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: groz]
      #6304592 - 01/10/14 04:47 PM

Quote:

There is no cure for cancer in the near future. To find a cure, would kill the single largest fund raising industry on this planet. The absolute LAST thing all those fund raising organizations want, is a cure. It's like cutting the head off of the golden goose.

It may be true that a cure of cancer isn't imminent; it's a terribly complex suite of conditions, and unraveling all of its mysteries may take a very long time. Perhaps we'll never succeed. But to allege that a cure or even meaningful management of the disease would be delayed because fund raisers don't want to kill the golden goose is absurd. Fund raisers and their loved ones are as likely to develop malignancies as anyone else. Ditto oncologists and their loved ones. Everyone is vulnerable, and everyone would like to see the end of it.

jca345

Reged: 09/06/13

Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #6311810 - 01/14/14 08:59 AM

Couldn't it be that we are in fact the very "first" sentient, intelligent beings to inhabit the universe? The Drake equation is logical and sensible, however, somebody should be the first... Perhaps we are "it"--or not. It is a possibility. Time-Space is at least incomprehensibly large, perhaps infinite. Either situation would allow for a high degree of probability of life forming and becoming sentient--we just don't know whether we are the first ones in a very long line or not.

Who knows?

Pess
(Title)

Reged: 09/12/07

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: jca345]
      #6312429 - 01/14/14 02:26 PM

Quote:

Couldn't it be that we are in fact the very "first" sentient, intelligent beings to inhabit the universe? The Drake equation is logical and sensible, however, somebody should be the first... Perhaps we are "it"--or not. It is a possibility. Time-Space is at least incomprehensibly large, perhaps infinite. Either situation would allow for a high degree of probability of life forming and becoming sentient--we just don't know whether we are the first ones in a very long line or not.

Who knows?

Anything is possible. But life arose on Earth almost immediately after it cooled to the point where life could exist.

That's pretty solid evidence that life comes along as soon as it can.

Pesse (Just say'n) Mist

GregLee1
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/21/13

Loc: Waimanalo, HI
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Pess]
      #6312500 - 01/14/14 03:11 PM

Quote:

That's pretty solid evidence that life comes along as soon as it can.

You mean because of the principle that anything which happens once must always happen? There are no singular events -- all is universal. Yes, I think I see that, if I squint my eyes.

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19418

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics