Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)
Pess
(Title)

Reged: 09/12/07

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: GregLee1]
      #6312564 - 01/14/14 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's pretty solid evidence that life comes along as soon as it can.

You mean because of the principle that anything which happens once must always happen? There are no singular events -- all is universal. Yes, I think I see that, if I squint my eyes.

The fact is that we can trace life back to within 700 million years of when the Earth cooled...and life probably goes back much further than that. The fact that the Earth didn't sit around sterile very long is strong, not incontrovertible, but strong evidence that life comes along almost immediately if given a stable niche.

Sure Earth could have won a lotto with such early appearance of organisms, but with reference to Occam's razor, the simplest explanation is probably the right one.

What's probably going on is that some advanced civilization out there is busy running around the Universe stamping out all developing technological societies for fear they will compete with them if allowed to develop past a certain stage. Maybe they will just hit the Oort cloud and fling enough boulders our way to set us back a bit. They did it with the Dino's which were a Super-intelligent species....

Pesse (Only Barney Survived.) Mist

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: PA USA
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Pess]
      #6312737 - 01/14/14 04:41 PM

Perhaps there is a reason the silence is deafening. If we were being observed since the dawn of human civilization by aliens, they would have seen a violent and murderous people as per link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll

Would you want to drop in and say hello?

Edited by Mxplx2 (01/14/14 04:42 PM)

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
      #6313172 - 01/14/14 08:52 PM

Quote:

What's probably going on is that some advanced civilization out there is busy running around the Universe stamping out all developing technological societies for fear they will compete with them if allowed to develop past a certain stage. Maybe they will just hit the Oort cloud and fling enough boulders our way to set us back a bit. They did it with the Dino's which were a Super-intelligent species....

Crossed my mind.

Just thinking, no conspiracies here. Just not impossible.

Not saying the evil overlord really exists, or does he.

Edited by maugi88 (01/15/14 11:02 AM)

Pess
(Title)

Reged: 09/12/07

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Re: The silence is deafening.... new [Re: Mxplx2]
      #6320738 - 01/18/14 03:23 PM

Quote:

If we were being observed since the dawn of human civilization by aliens, they would have seen a violent and murderous people. Would you want to drop in and say hello?

Pesse (Sure, if I was a Marine recruiter for Alpha Centori..) Mist

dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

#6323982 - 01/20/14 12:01 PM

Impressive!!
Gemini Planet Imager First Light
http://www.gemini.edu/node/12113

As an amateur, I'd like to know the resolution achieved and the exposure time, but anyways the result is here.
Quote:
“Seeing a planet close to a star after just one minute, was a thrill, and we saw this on only the first week after the instrument was put on the telescope!” says Fredrik Rantakyro a Gemini staff scientist working on the instrument. “Imagine what it will be able to do once we tweak and completely tune its performance.”

Indeed. It comforts my opinion that a significant sample of terrestrial planets in the liquid water zone will be studied in the near future (less than a hundred years) and therefore, IMO the question asked by Otto will be answered in that timeframe with a very high confidence.

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19838

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics