Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
question about celestrons cg5 goto mount new
      #5431007 - 09/20/12 01:58 PM

does the cg5 have the same setup and alignment procedure, (time, date location, etc,) as the nextstar se mounts. i have the se mount and really like the setup procedure. would like a gem for some ap. if its the same i would not have to learn a completely new setup process. thanks, don

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: question about celestrons cg5 goto mount new [Re: donnie3]
      #5431078 - 09/20/12 02:32 PM

It is very similar but with an EQ mount there are two big differences -- you need to polar align the mount head (aim north and set latitude) and also add a couple of callibration stars on the opposite side of the meridian from your initial alignmen stars. Otherwise the hand control commands are pretty similar to the Nexstar systen.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: question about celestrons cg5 goto mount new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5431163 - 09/20/12 03:23 PM

thanks mikebokc, GO THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Boar
sage

Reged: 02/23/09

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: question about celestrons cg5 goto mount [Re: donnie3]
      #5431293 - 09/20/12 04:40 PM

Well you don't need to accurately polar align the CG-5 if you don't want/have to. I never have as I can't see Polaris from my OBS. I've got my 8SE OTA on a CG5 mount.

The controller is almost the same, but the alignment procedure is different. YOu have alignment stars (pick 2 stars on one side of the meridian), and then calibration stars (to calculate the cone error on the scope), where you can pick upto 4 stars on the other side of meridan.

With the latest handset fw you can do a fancy pseudo Polar align called Allstar align which can use other stars once you are aligned to calculate where Polaris should be. I'm just about to start playing with this feature for AP.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 275

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics