Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new
      #4960665 - 12/10/11 11:51 PM

How can an Orion Skyview AZ Alt-Az mount head be mounted to an Orion Atlas tripod?...

What would be the best way of attaching a Losmandy dovetail to the smaller vixen saddle?... Should I use one of these: http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Mount-Tripod-Accessories/Orion-Narrow-to-Wide-Dovetail-Adapter-Plate/pc/-1/c/2/sc/38/p/7952.uts

I am thinking of a versatile system using one tripod with 2 mounts: one GoTo and one Alt-Az. This way I can eliminate clutter by having one less tripod to carry in the car.

Thanks.

Edited by 10gauge (12/10/11 11:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gustavo_sanchez
sage

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: Puerto Rico, US
Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new [Re: 10gauge]
      #4963133 - 12/12/11 03:26 PM

Hello,

I am not sure is an ready-to-use adapter for that... The Skyview sits on CG-5,CG-4, Sirius, or SVP type tripods, and the Atlas is larger... I fortunately don't have that problem because my GEM is a Sirius so I use the same tripod for both.

gustavo_sanchez
sage

Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new [Re: gustavo_sanchez]
      #5430864 - 09/20/12 12:32 PM

I know this is an old thread, but... I will bring it back to life!

I have used my Sirius EQ-G with the Atlas tripod without any adapters, so the SkyView AZ should have no problem.

AlBoning
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new [Re: gustavo_sanchez]
      #5431098 - 09/20/12 02:46 PM

If one had the pier extensions for both the SVP and Atlas, and since the pier mounting hardware is interchangeable between the piers, then one could mount the SVP to either pier and then to either tripod.

10gauge
sage

Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new [Re: AlBoning]
      #5431521 - 09/20/12 07:13 PM

Thank you, Gustavo and Al! Unfortunately, Orion no longer makes any alt-az mounts that are worth a damn. The last Skyview AZ was sold within hours of the last response of this thread. I may have to go with a Canadian Telescope Duo T mount now.

Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Sun City West, Arizona
Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new [Re: AlBoning]
      #5431803 - 09/20/12 10:23 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

As has been said, if you have both the Orion pier extensions, you now have the adapter plates necessary. I have an Atlas EQ-G, and SVP, and a SV AZ, and with those two pier extensions, I can do about anything that uses any of the parts of these three mounts in combination... I have the SV AZ on my Atlas tripod right now...

If I really wanted to do something crazy, I can put the Atlas mount on the SVP tripod (I've done it just to hold the mount when I was doing something else). And I can also put my SVP mount on my Atlas tripod (when the SV AZ isn't on it...

gustavo_sanchez
sage

Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? new [Re: Jan Owen]
      #5432347 - 09/21/12 09:42 AM

Hello Jan,

I have used my SkyView AZ on a CG-5 tripod (which I assume is the same as the Atlas) without any adapters. Head to tripod directly. I don't think that the pier extensions joints are needed.

10gauge
sage

Re: Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod? [Re: gustavo_sanchez]
      #5433768 - 09/22/12 01:35 AM

Thank you, Jan. Right after your sage advice, Orion stopped making the Skyview AZ mount. I haven't been able to find one since. I've been looking at a Canadian Telescope Duo T as a substitute.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1131

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics