Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
What kind of paper do you sketch on? new
      #5434691 - 09/22/12 04:00 PM

Currently I have done my sketches in a big 100 sheet Strathmore Sketch book. It has the ringed binder and works pretty well for sketching. My biggest issue with it is when I go to scan objects the binder gets in the way and allows in too much light during the scan to get a decent copy of what I sketched. Also right now I'm making my circles on my paper using the top of a shot glass. Overall my pages look a little messy, and not very well organized.

I'm looking into printing out sketch logs found online, and am curious what type of paper I should use since the average printer paper seems to be horrible to sketch on. Either that or I'm still too new to sketching to figure out how to use regular printer paper. I'd like to print out a bunch of sheets and maybe even pre label each circle with the Messier targets in order for better organization that I can put into a folder when done. I've even considered cutting out each sheet from my sketch pad and running them through the printer, but not sure if that would work?

Figured I'd take to the forums here and get a collective opinion on what is used by others who have been doing this for quite a while.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
Re: What kind of paper do you sketch on? new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5435339 - 09/23/12 12:46 AM

I always use rather heavy drawing board. Printer paper is only a substtute if you don't have other paper.
Drawing board has a smooth and a rough side. The rough side allows shadowing easier.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #5435355 - 09/23/12 01:12 AM

Mike, i started out with regular printer paper almost a decade ago and still use it, even for the sketches in my 'Sky at Night' articles. For a while i also used a shot glass for the circles but switched to a glass tumbler and finally bought a circle template and use the three inch hole. Also, i draw my circles with ink so they stay put if i need to erase something on the edge of the sketch.

To get better results scanning the pages of your ringed sketchbook, try this. Open the sketch book all the way with the page to be scanned on one side of the rings, and the rest of the book on the other side of the rings. Place the single page on the scanner's glass (while holding the rest of the book) and place a large folded white towel on the backside of the page. Use a towel that's as thick as the rings are, and snug it up against the rings.
Then flip the rest of the book so it's resting on top of the towel. All of the pages are now on the same side of the rings, and the towel's thickness is filling in the 'space' created by the rings. Put a book on top of everything to weigh it down and maximize the paper's contact on the scanner - it should look a lot better. If the towel is larger than the sketch, just crop off the excess in a photo program.

AdirondackAstro
sage

Re: What kind of paper do you sketch on? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5435385 - 09/23/12 01:45 AM

Uwe - I'll have to look into drawing board and see if I like the material.

Carol - Great tip for scanning the binder. How come I never thought of that?! I was actually looking around for tips on astronomical sketching and came across your sketching tips page. Some really good tips in there for a beginner like me (I've been slowly beginning for about a year now).

So far I ended up coming across some templates online. I ripped out a bunch of sheets from my sketchpad and cut the frilly edges off. Fit as A4 and printed the logs on it. Looks much neater than I had. Now I need a folder.

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
      #5435516 - 09/23/12 05:35 AM

I use a blk cartridge paper just bought form any art shop, one idea to consider is find a paper you like, then get a print shop to bind it & print it for you

Matt Lindsey
sage

Reged: 06/06/08

Loc: Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.
      #5437083 - 09/23/12 10:11 PM

Good ol' regular printer paper for me also. I find it very easy to sketch on and I like the results; consequently, I've not experimented with other papers. I often layer it to produce more/less "softness" as needed with the pencils, e.g., lots of subtle nebulosity.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: What kind of paper do you sketch on? new [Re: Matt Lindsey]
      #5437462 - 09/24/12 04:41 AM

Quote:

Good ol' regular printer paper

Idem dito (for deepsky).

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: What kind of paper do you sketch on? new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5437885 - 09/24/12 11:14 AM

I too use printer paper, but I am still a beginner. I use the templates I got from Jeremy Perez's Wonderful Website on a clipboard. It seems to do ok for me.

Jason

AdirondackAstro
sage

Re: What kind of paper do you sketch on? new [Re: Undermidnight]
      #5438281 - 09/24/12 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried printer paper a while back and just couldn't get the look and feel of DSOs that I was looking for.

I used the same Jeremy Perez's layouts for my recent printings, but I tore out the sketch paper from the sketch pad, cut the frilly ends off and rand them through the printer. I have enough to get me through all the Messier objects now. Got two done last night that I still need to scan into my computer.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: What kind of paper do you sketch on? [Re: Matt Lindsey]
      #5438318 - 09/24/12 03:36 PM

Quote:

...I've not experimented with other papers.

I did, but only because others made it sound like art paper was 'the' thing to use (i'd never had Art lessons - what did i know? ).
After experimenting with it for a while though, the results were unsatisfactory - so i never even bothered using it at the eyepiece.
Gotta stick with what works, right?

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 624

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics