Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Eyepieces and FOV
      #5438518 - 09/24/12 05:40 PM

Hey guys,

I have found that I do better sketching with my narrow FOV Orthos than with my Naglers. I seem to have an issue with spacing/placement of stars with the naglers. Anyone else experience this issue? It may be that I am still new at this.

Jason

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: Undermidnight]
      #5439025 - 09/25/12 12:15 AM

I use mostly Plössls for planetary work and for moon. Sharpness on axis is slightly better in comparision to Naglers, the contrast is noticeably better.
I like the Meade series 4000. They have very less scattered light.

Edited by Uwe Pilz (09/25/12 12:17 AM)

AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: Uwe Pilz]
      #5439046 - 09/25/12 12:43 AM

I only have one brand of eyepieces, the cheap kit from Zhumell Plossl. Get's the job done though. I notice I like try to get just the object in frame if possible, as much zoom as I can apply without removing too much detail from the DSO.

Michael11
sage

Reged: 06/24/06

Loc: Israel
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: AdirondackAstro]
      #5439149 - 09/25/12 04:14 AM

I also prefer my 65° Vixen LVW with long eye relief, over 82° explore scientifics. It's much more comfortable, and easy to see whole field of view (without having to move my head).

I hate sketching with plossls though, due to their short eye relief. IMHO Comfort during sketching is the most important parameter.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: Michael11]
      #5439612 - 09/25/12 11:45 AM

I have Naglers. Pro: good correction in my f/4 and the object stays long time in view (dobson, hand tracking). Contra: I can't see the edge of the FOV in one time and this makes it not easy to sketch a field of stars. For that reason: if I should buy a new EP, it's gonna be a Delos.

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5439758 - 09/25/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

I have Naglers. Pro: good correction in my f/4 and the object stays long time in view (dobson, hand tracking). Contra: I can't see the edge of the FOV in one time and this makes it not easy to sketch a field of stars. For that reason: if I should buy a new EP, it's gonna be a Delos.

That is probably the hardest part for me too.. drawing the field of stars with the larger FOV.

I will probably be building an EQ platform over the winter or in the spring so that I can use my dobsonians more for sketching than the SCT (it tracks). Plus, I plan to image with the SCT and then while imaging, sketching something else..

(Am I allowed to mention imaging in this forum? )

Jason

mike73

Reged: 05/01/12

Loc: UK Plymouth
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5440089 - 09/25/12 03:22 PM

Quote:

Completely agree Jef.
I had a ethos for a while and although its a great EP it was terrible to use while sketching.

Ernest_SPB
sage

Reged: 11/13/10

Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia
Re: Eyepieces and FOV new [Re: Undermidnight]
      #5441145 - 09/26/12 07:35 AM

Quote:

I have found that I do better sketching with my narrow FOV Orthos than with my Naglers.

It is normal. (1) Wide field with 0 angular distorsion (like in Nagler) require from your eye and brain convertation of sperical image to plane one. It is not easy. (2) For right representation of you impression (perspective) you should see borders of your sketch at the same angle as adges of field stop diaphragm. It is much easy to achive using ep with narrow AFOV (when small sketch area you put at normal distance of drawing). (3) Nagler filed of view is much more reach in details then Plossl/Orthos it is just hard to catch all of them on your sketch...

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 535

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics