Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Lx55 GEM
      #5439211 - 09/25/12 06:33 AM

Is the CNP always in the exact same place relative to where your are? I ask this because I set up my scope in the exact same position each time I go out. In fact, I have glued washers to my concrete driveway and the points of the tripod fit right into the washers. If I get a good polar alignment and then move the scope inside, when I come out again and the scope is facing the exact same position, will I still have a polar alignment? I would still do my usual 3 star alignment but do I still have to move the mounts adjustment? I could "Park" the scope before I shut down to make sure that it really was facing the exact same position. Thanks.
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Lx55 GEM new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5439480 - 09/25/12 10:27 AM

CNP does not move, but the pole star does. I doubt that once moved your setup can be replaced with enough accuracy to maintain exact polar alignment, but your gotos should be fine.

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Lx55 GEM new [Re: Geo.]
      #5450626 - 10/01/12 06:35 PM

James
I do the same thing I just use a black sharpie marker and if you haven't set up for a different observing site ie your Azimuth and Latitude hasn't been changed and your tripod is at the same height, you will be close just not nailed. This is also a good for a solar event and make it where you can set up your equipment in the day light. Just don't expect it to be great with out some more fine tuning.

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Lx55 GEM new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5450761 - 10/01/12 08:09 PM

And the ground itself can move as it cools and warms or dries or gets wet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
32 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 369

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics