Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Night2Fire
sage

Reged: 05/27/07

CGE Mount Issues.. new
      #5441529 - 09/26/12 12:01 PM

Hey everyone,
I have been mount-less for a few months now due to the motor in my CGE decided to die on me. Just be able to get the money to but the motor. Why the mount was down I thought this would be a good time to go ahead and crack it open and re-grease it with some super-lube. I got the motor and installed it the other day but now I have some major back lash issue I believe. When I goto slew the mount I can hold the arrow down for like 3 seconds b4 it start to move in that direction. Would that be backlash? I'm using the same spacers as before. Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks in Advance..
Ralph

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: CGE Mount Issues.. new [Re: Night2Fire]
      #5441776 - 09/26/12 02:23 PM

Backlash is gear tooth to gear tooth distance. If you are trying to slew (meaning higher speed than centering or guiding) and it isn't moving for a while, that is nit a mechanical issue. What Rate are you using? It should display the number in the corner when you are slewing.

Joe Cipriano
Entropy Personified

Reged: 09/03/05

Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?
Re: CGE Mount Issues.. new [Re: gillmj24]
      #5441980 - 09/26/12 04:23 PM

Ralph:

If you mount has the plastic shims for the worm block, they were probably stacked - mine had one thick and several very thin shims, stuck together with grease. First, I'd suggest loosening the worm block bolts, then push the block toward the wheel gear while retightening those bolts. If that doesn't reduce the backlash, I'd loosen the worm block and remove the thinnest shim from both sides. Push the block toward the wheel gear, retighten the block bolts.
There's also the possibility that the motor spur gear is not concentric with the motor shaft; at one point in its revolution, it will not mesh tightly with the worm spur. However, that gap is taken up quickly when slewing, and wouldn't cause a 3 second delay.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGE Mount Issues.. [Re: Joe Cipriano]
      #5443265 - 09/27/12 10:42 AM

When you put the worm block back into the mount you need to push it tightly up against the the housing while tightening the bolts underneath. If you don't the gap between the two will open up increasing the backlash. What I do is use a long screwdriver as a lever to push the worm block upward while tightening the bolts below. As suggested, if the backlash is still too large, then try removing one of the spacers from each side and tightening again. If you need to experiment with the spacer thickness, you can use materials like aluminum foil and clear plastic packaging material as a substitute for actual spacing material.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 583

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics