Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
southbay

Reged: 07/08/12

Loc: SF Bay Area CA
CGEM newbie question on slewing.
      #5444624 - 09/28/12 02:55 AM

I got CGEM DX a few weeks ago, and am trying to test run to see if the basic function works. I'm not trying to test the accuracy in pointing the stars or tracking yet, but just make sure slewing works as the first step.

When trying one star alignment, I selected the star and press the enter key. My understanding is that the mount is suppposed to slew to the target star. What I observe is DEC sometimes moves, but, at most of the time, it stays at the initial position that is set in a way DEC index marks align. It doesn't move in RA direction at all, however, I can see that the black ring between two RA index marks shown in the below pic rorates.

I'm not sure if I need to put a scope and counter weight to operate correctly. Currently, no scope or counter weights/shaft etc. are on the mount.

I'm a newbie and puzzled if this is an expected behavior while running one star alignment.
I'd appreciate for inptus from those who have experiences with CGEM/CGEM DX.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
Re: CGEM newbie question on slewing. new [Re: southbay]
      #5444631 - 09/28/12 03:21 AM

Did you tighten RA and DEC locks?

Knez

Edited by orion69 (09/28/12 03:22 AM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGEM newbie question on slewing. new [Re: southbay]
      #5445063 - 09/28/12 11:40 AM

First, you need to run the mount balanced, even if you don't have a scope on it. No counter wieght = no balance. Running the mount completely unbalanced (with the clutches engaged) is not good for it. You will probably need to load a scope on it since you cannot easily balance the mount with nothing on it.

Second, it sounds like you have the clutches released. When that is the case, the ring that you have shown in your picture will rotate while the RA head does not move.

Finally, make sure that you are using a sufficient power supply. I recommend a minimum of 2.5 amps for a wall supply and a good sturdy 12V for a battery supply.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics