Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
aznights

Reged: 04/23/12

Loc: Glendale, AZ
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: aznights]
      #5465459 - 10/11/12 02:17 PM

I'm thinking more about this, and I'm trying to think of ways that you could keep production costs down- yet keep the quality of the product the same. I'm not sure how much bigger each base is for the GSO scopes, but perhaps you can make a version that is universal to all three GSO sizes. I'm picturing a design where you have three inner sections, each with a corresponding degree circle platform. Perhaps you could alternate between black and white on the setting circles to help differentiate between the different ring sizes- or you could just use this as an overall base design and install the appropriate sized degree circle to order. Does that sound doable?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
      #5465473 - 10/11/12 02:23 PM

Thanks aznights!

Quote:

I'll be waiting for v2.0

v2.0? Do you know something I don't know?

Seriously though, if we do come up with a custom red LED light solution it will be an optional add-on to keep the price of the HALO low.

Other than a custom-made light, what other developments did you have in mind?

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

aznights

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5465477 - 10/11/12 02:27 PM

Quote:

Other than a custom-made light, what other developments did you have in mind?

See my other comment above yours regarding a possible universal design.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5465549 - 10/11/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking more about this, and I'm trying to think of ways that you could keep production costs down- yet keep the quality of the product the same. I'm not sure how much bigger each base is for the GSO scopes, but perhaps you can make a version that is universal to all three GSO sizes. I'm picturing a design where you have three inner sections, each with a corresponding degree circle platform. Perhaps you could alternate between black and white on the setting circles to help differentiate between the different ring sizes- or you could just use this as an overall base design and install the appropriate sized degree circle to order. Does that sound doable?

Thanks for putting some serious thought into the production process aznights!! I really do appreciate you trying to come up with ways to refine the process.

I’ll have to put some serious thought myself into your comments. But at first glance, I'm not sure a one-size-fits-three design would be cost effective (if it could even be done practically). In order to accommodate 12" scopes, it would have to be AT LEAST as large as the current HALO for 12" scopes. So it would take as much (or more) machine time as the 12" version (which takes longer than the 8" or 10" versions), and it would take more raw material than the 8" or 10" versions. And to duplicate the inlayed degree circles three times on a single HALO would cost more too. And last but not least, a HALO large enough to fit 12" scopes requires a box size of roughly 30"x30", which does cost a good bit more to ship than the smaller boxes that the 8" and 10" versions fit in.

So I think that making a one-size-fits-three version would force the price to be at least as much as the 12" HALO (likely more because of the extra work/materials involved with three inlayed degree circles on the face).

But I may be misunderstanding the concept that you're describing, so please straighten me out if I'm off base. In fact, if you want to make a quick-n-dirty sketch and send it to me via PM, I'd love to get a visual of what you're thinking.

Now if your idea for the one-size-fits-three design is that it could help justify investing in a single plastic injection mold, it would certainly help by not dividing sales volume among three different sizes. But I'm still seriously doubtful that quantities would be high enough to justify the huge cost of a single injection mold. Plus there’s the LightBridge/Astro-Tech 16" Dobs to consider. And we certainly don’t want to leave all those Orion Dob owners out in the cold. So multiple molds would still be required if we wanted to serve the whole market with injection molded HALOs.

But as I mentioned previously, even if sales volumes COULD justify the huge investment in injection molds, I wouldn't go that route because then our investment could be instantly made worthless if the base manufacturers changed the diameter of their base just a little bit.

Anyway, thanks again aznights for your participation in the process. Please keep your ideas coming!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

aznights

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5465631 - 10/11/12 04:24 PM

It sounds like you pictured my idea exactly (glad I didn't confuse you)! The only thing I'd emphasize is that you would still only have one inlayed degree circle per product since that would be the only item that would be placed per order based on the size the customer requested. And indeed, I was also referring to helping the cost of dividing sales volume with the injection mold process of a one-size-fits-three design. I was also sort of suggesting a one-size-fits-three for each of the other brands as well, so you'd have a total of about 4 instead of 12 products. The 16" dobs would still be the one-offs though.

Well, I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. I don't have any experience with polymers, but I wonder if a poured polymer would work in place of injection molding. Seems like you could make your own molds as needed that way possibly?

I'll most likely be placing my order for one of the 10" GSO versions next week by the way.

--Steve

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5465702 - 10/11/12 05:17 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you pictured my idea exactly (glad I didn't confuse you)! The only thing I'd emphasize is that you would still only have one inlayed degree circle per product since that would be the only item that would be placed per order based on the size the customer requested. And indeed, I was also referring to helping the cost of dividing sales volume with the injection mold process of a one-size-fits-three design. I was also sort of suggesting a one-size-fits-three for each of the other brands as well, so you'd have a total of about 4 instead of 12 products. The 16" dobs would still be the one-offs though.

Well, I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. I don't have any experience with polymers, but I wonder if a poured polymer would work in place of injection molding. Seems like you could make your own molds as needed that way possibly?

I'll most likely be placing my order for one of the 10" GSO versions next week by the way.

--Steve

Hmmm... the poured polymer idea sounds interesting! I'll definitely devote some time to reading up on the technique. Being able to make our own molds (and modify them if necessary) would certainly have some advantages.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your ideas Steve, and I'll look forward to hearing how you like your HALO!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5466527 - 10/12/12 09:08 AM

Not really, the equipment just for printing and laminating circles that size is VERY expensive; it's also probably a little labor intensive making sure the compass and the degree circle are in the exact proper alignment (ya just can't slap them on any old way). If they are mfg the base, the plastic moulding equipment isn't cheap either. Compare that and the ease of use to getting hold of an accurate setting circle (luckily, most are free, lucky us), Printing and Laminating will cost about $25 (for a 10" anyways) at Kinkos/Fedex, then YOU have to tear apart your scope mount, mount it (don't forget to align the 0* with your compass (you'll need one) and perpendicular to the mount and in line with the OTA. Not rocket science, but not the easist thing you'll ever do either. Just 1* off and it's back to square one.

aznights

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5466652 - 10/12/12 10:41 AM

For best results, you don't align your 0* with a compass, you align it with Polaris as viewed with a high power eyepiece- and even then you want to see if Polaris is at 0* or 359* that particular night. At least that's how I've been doing it- and it seems to keep me spot on with everything in SkySafari. Having a perfectly level dob bass is also critical.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5466718 - 10/12/12 11:32 AM

Quote:

For best results, you don't align your 0* with a compass, you align it with Polaris as viewed with a high power eyepiece- and even then you want to see if Polaris is at 0* or 359* that particular night. At least that's how I've been doing it- and it seems to keep me spot on with everything in SkySafari. Having a perfectly level dob bass is also critical.

Agreed, centering Polaris with a high power eyepiece is the first step; then set the pointer to "0".

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5466806 - 10/12/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed, centering Polaris with a high power eyepiece is the first step; then set the pointer to "0".

EXACTLY! The compass is just to help you set the HALO down in (approximately) the correct orientation, so that your pointer will be somewhere CLOSE to 0° before calibration. Your local/current magnetic declination will determine how far AWAY from 0° the pointer is when you first point the scope towards Polaris (or if you're using some other star/object for calibration, how far the pointer is from that object's azimuth)

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5466833 - 10/12/12 12:33 PM

I can't see Polaris from my site so using the compass gets me close enough. It's a lot easier to simply move the pointer when calibrating than to re-position and re-level the entire dob.

While I was modifying my base I also thought it was nice to have a large universal fitting DC base with leveling feet.
Degree lines can be drawn from the center point of this base to the edge......like a bicycle wheel with 360 spokes. A pin of some sort in the middle of this base can engage with the exact point of rotation underneath the dob's ground board.

OR....even better yet, how about a complete new replacement universal ground board with DC marks and leveling feet to fit most any dob. Good thing is this will not increase your ep height.

aznights

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5466943 - 10/12/12 03:23 PM

I just noticed that my iphone autocorrected the word base to bass on my last post. What a "dob bass" this phone is sometimes. Oh well.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5466999 - 10/12/12 04:10 PM

Quote:

I just noticed that my iphone autocorrected the word base to bass on my last post. What a "dob bass" this phone is sometimes. Oh well.

Hey, don't knock it! You never know where your next inspiration might come from.

Astrotaxidermy!!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

AlBoning
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/06/11

#5467172 - 10/12/12 05:51 PM

Oh yes, now I remember ... I read about the Bas-Cas in a recent issue of ATT

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: AlBoning]
      #5467211 - 10/12/12 06:20 PM

Just a thought for the waste, while you are cnc routing why not design some eyepiece holders that can be made from the scrap in the center? Route them out first then the rings.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Mary B]
      #5467288 - 10/12/12 07:15 PM

Quote:

Just a thought for the waste, while you are cnc routing why not design some eyepiece holders that can be made from the scrap in the center? Route them out first then the rings.

Excellent idea Mary! I'd hoped we could find something productive to do with all the cutouts, but with all the design work and production planning on the HALO itself I just haven't had the time to put any real thought into utilization of the waste. That's a good start though!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: AlBoning]
      #5467292 - 10/12/12 07:18 PM

Quote:

Oh yes, now I remember ... I read about the Bas-Cas in a recent issue of ATT

You mean the Schmidt–Bassegrain?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll stop now.

David Giles
Opticmart.com

Edited by DavidOpticsmart (10/12/12 08:05 PM)

aznights

#5467930 - 10/13/12 09:40 AM

You're killing me over here David.

aznights

#5467970 - 10/13/12 10:08 AM

Well, I just pulled the trigger and bought one for my Z10. I'm hoping to have it by next weekend- where I can show it off to some friends who are also dob owners. I'm looking forward to possibly writing a review for CN as well.

aznights

#5468052 - 10/13/12 10:55 AM

Hey David, It just occurred to me that I would actually need two of the magnetic strips and pointer assemblies for the one Halo. I have two dob bases in two different cities and I travel back and forth with the OTA. Can I get another pointer kit with my order? Let me know what I owe you for it. My invoice ID is #100000771 Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13492

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics