Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5485518 - 10/23/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I really don't think the HALO would look very classy up on blocks.

I shudder at the thought!

Seriously though, if your floor is flat and level, we could simply send you a HALO without feet, and you could remove the rubber feet from the bottom of your Dob's base. Then just set the HALO flat on the floor, get it oriented perfectly north, set the Dob in it and you're good to go.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Might there be a way she could lock the Halo to the floor so the alignment doesn't drift over time?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5485546 - 10/23/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

Might there be a way she could lock the Halo to the floor so the alignment doesn't drift over time?

She could absolutely do that if she wanted to. If we send the HALO without feet installed, she could simply drill holes in her concrete floor (with the appropriate drill bit) and install concrete anchors at the positions where the leveling feet would normally be on the HALO. Then use long bolts to run through the HALO's leg-holes and into the anchors. Of course when screwing into the concrete anchors she'd have to be careful not to crank down on them TOO hard (as with any MDF/wood product) so as not to damage the HALO.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5485599 - 10/23/12 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

She could absolutely do that if she wanted to. If we send the HALO without feet installed, she could simply drill holes in her concrete floor (with the appropriate drill bit) and install concrete anchors at the positions where the leveling feet would normally be on the HALO. Then use long bolts to run through the HALO's leg-holes and into the anchors. Of course when screwing into the concrete anchors she'd have to be careful not to crank down on them TOO hard (as with any MDF/wood product) so as not to damage the HALO.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

David, I'm very tempted to just plunk down the credit card! However, I have to hold off for the time being, at least until the funds become available. But I'll tell you, I really want to see this for myself. Despite everything I said, I really like the thinking behind it, and hope to get one sooner than later!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5485611 - 10/23/12 04:37 PM

Do the leg holes have tapped metal sleeves that the threaded rods screw into?

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5485643 - 10/23/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

David, I'm very tempted to just plunk down the credit card! However, I have to hold off for the time being, at least until the funds become available. But I'll tell you, I really want to see this for myself. Despite everything I said, I really like the thinking behind it, and hope to get one sooner than later!

Believe me Bob, I understand about funds being unavailable.

Quote:

We install threaded metal inserts into both sides of the Extira before installing the leveling feet.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5485666 - 10/23/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Believe me Bob, I understand about funds being unavailable.

Quote:

We install threaded metal inserts into both sides of the Extira before installing the leveling feet.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Thanks! If you were to leave the inserts in Carol's Halo, could they prevent the concrete anchoring screws from damaging the Halo while at the same time providing a bearing surface for the anchors to be torqued against? Or, would it preferable to leave the inserts out, and just torque the screws against a flat washer?

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5485697 - 10/23/12 05:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks! If you were to leave the inserts in Carol's Halo, could they prevent the concrete anchoring screws from damaging the Halo while at the same time providing a bearing surface for the anchors to be torqued against? Or, would it preferable to leave the inserts out, and just torque the screws against a flat washer?

I would probably recommend leaving the metal threaded inserts out, and using a large flat washer on top of the HALO.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5485705 - 10/23/12 05:21 PM

I seriously doubt that the Halo will shift to a point where you had to make constant re-alignment of the pointer. A thin rubber pad or felt paper underneath should prevent it from shifting with all that weight on top. I can understand locking down the mount for EQ mounts, but for setting circles I don't think it's that critical.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5485738 - 10/23/12 05:35 PM

Quote:

I seriously doubt that the Halo will shift to a point where you had to make constant re-alignment of the pointer. A thin rubber pad or felt paper underneath should prevent it from shifting with all that weight on top. I can understand locking down the mount for EQ mounts, but for setting circles I don't think it's that critical.

I would tend to agree. Just the friction between the concrete and the bottom of the HALO would probably be enough to keep it perfectly still.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

PhaedrusUpshaw

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5486241 - 10/23/12 11:15 PM

Wow, that 10" Orion base board sure looks familiar to me...

The picture of my Halo is awesome!!

Great job,
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (10/23/12 11:39 PM)

PhaedrusUpshaw

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: aznights]
      #5486788 - 10/24/12 10:57 AM

Quote:

Please dont get me wrong, I really like this idea, and I'm very excited about this product announcement. I've even shared about this idea on reddit.com/r/astronomy and to some of my colleagues. But I have to be honest, I feel like price on this is a little high.

Well aznights, if you wanna play you gotta pay and it has been my experience in astronomy as well as in everything else you get what you pay for. The Halo is a simple solution to a complex problem. If you do not have the means or the ability to build your own setting circle with leveling and azimuth aligning capabilities it would seem as if Dave's Halo is one very good solution to the common problem of finding and viewing celestial objects.
Of course that is simply my opinion so please take it for what it might be worth...
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (10/24/12 11:03 AM)

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5486823 - 10/24/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

Well aznights, if you wanna play you gotta pay and it has been my experience in astronomy as well as in everything else you get what you pay for. The Halo is a simple solution to a complex problem. If you do not have the means or the ability to build your own setting circle with leveling and azimuth aligning capabilities it would seem as if Dave's Halo is one very good solution to the common problem of finding and viewing celestial objects.
Of course that is simply my opinion so please take it for what it might be worth...
Bill

Thanks for your comments Bill! But just for the record, aznights did go ahead and order the HALO. He's paid, so he can play.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Edited by DavidOpticsmart (10/24/12 11:20 AM)

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5487479 - 10/24/12 06:53 PM

Ahhh....the joys of manufacturing.....

Anyone who has followed this thread closely may remember me saying that I wouldn't dare make the huge investment in injection molds for the HALO because the Asian OEMs could at any time make a very small change to the groundboard diameters and totally ruin our day. Well, that comment was more applicable (and timely) than I ever would have guessed….

Much to our dismay, we’ve recently discovered that in just the past few months GSO made a minor change to the bases that they supply with their scopes. All they did was change the rubber “bumper” that goes around the perimeter of the groundboard to a flatter, less rounded shape. The change is completely inconsequential with respect to the functionality, usability, quality, and durability of the product. BUT, the newer bumper style does reduce the outside diameter of the newer groundboards by approximately .16”, which means that HALOs designed for GSO bases with the older bumper style won’t be a good fit for bases with the newer bumper style.

There are thousands of GSO-made bases out there with the older bumper style, so we will of course continue to stock the current HALO sizes. But we are also working on HALOs for the newer GSO-made bases and will stock them as well. It’ll make inventory a bit more complex (and costly), and we’ll have to communicate well with customers to make SURE they order the appropriately sized HALO for THEIR particular base. But hey, that’s all just part of the fun right?

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
      #5487594 - 10/24/12 08:25 PM

Hmmmmm, self adhesive shims so you can use one base for both, or a peg that the user can tap in (or leave out) depending on the size of base.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5487598 - 10/24/12 08:27 PM

You'd think that something so inconsequential as a rubber bumper would be the last thing you'd change! Then again, maybe their supplier dropped out and they had to go with someone else.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

How thick is the shelf that the edge of the groundboard sits on?

How tall are the feet on the end of the leveling screws?

I'm curious about the minimum amount the threaded rods would need to be extended before the feet on my telescope's groundboard start to lift off the floor.

PhaedrusUpshaw

#5487983 - 10/25/12 01:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your comments Bill! But just for the record, aznights did go ahead and order the HALO. He's paid, so he can play.

Oops, I gotta remember to check out all the pages on a topic in this forum before I make a post! I hope aznights is as excited regarding the acquisition of a HALO for his Z10 as I am for the HALO for my XT10. And aznights I truly apologize for having spoken out of turn.
…now we both can play.
Clear skies,
Bill

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: rboe]
      #5488240 - 10/25/12 09:20 AM

Quote:

Hmmmmm, self adhesive shims so you can use one base for both, or a peg that the user can tap in (or leave out) depending on the size of base.

Yeah we've considered shims, but I just don't like the idea of some customers getting perfectly dimensioned HALOs while others have to live with a less optimal workaround. And I suspect that engineering and procuring customized shims that are durable, look good, and REALLY fit well, would probably take more effort/investment than simply making HALOs that are properly dimensioned to begin with.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5488316 - 10/25/12 10:18 AM

Quote:

You'd think that something so inconsequential as a rubber bumper would be the last thing you'd change! Then again, maybe their supplier dropped out and they had to go with someone else.

Yeah I suspect it was a supplier issue.

Quote:

How thick is the shelf that the edge of the groundboard sits on?

.5"

Quote:

How tall are the feet on the end of the leveling screws?

Approx. 1.5". Or to be more precise:

Quote:

I'm curious about the minimum amount the threaded rods would need to be extended before the feet on my telescope's groundboard start to lift off the floor.

Unless your Dob's feet are taller than the standard rubber feet that are supplied with most Asian Dobs (which are typically .95"-1" tall), then your Dob's feet WILL be off the floor by at least an inch (at the HALO's minimum height setting). I think this image has the info you're looking for:

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#5488462 - 10/25/12 11:42 AM

Thanks, Dave. Especially for taking the time to enclose those photos. Especially for then doing the math for me! You're easing my worried mind.

What did you use to seal the machined surfaces on the Halo?

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5488493 - 10/25/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Dave. Especially for taking the time to enclose those photos. Especially for then doing the math for me! You're easing my worried mind.

What did you use to seal the machined surfaces on the Halo?

We don't apply any sealer. The HALO will withstand far more exposure to moisture un-sealed than your Dob base ever could. As I said you could leave the HALO out in the rain overnight. And eventually I'm sure someone will.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13586

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics