Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5490213 - 10/26/12 01:13 PM

David; that does beg the question; How well does the machined surface take a finish? I foresee a desire by some to paint or varnish the exposed surface for looks (say white paint to match their scope). If the surface does not accept paint very well a heads up before hand would save some grief.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhaedrusUpshaw

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: rboe]
      #5490524 - 10/26/12 04:37 PM

Well I got my XT10 ground boards back from Optismart along with the first HALO Setting Circle/Leveling Base they produced for the Orion XT10 and I must say this HALO unit is a precision piece of equipment that greatly enhances my viewing pleasure. I can track satellites, find obscure celestial objects and it looks great sitting there under my XT10 too. Excellent job Dave and thank you for allowing me to participate in the design phase of Orion XT10 HALO development. The crew at Optismart is very customer satisfaction oriented and a pleasure to do business with.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
      #5490561 - 10/26/12 05:09 PM

Quote:

David; that does beg the question; How well does the machined surface take a finish? I foresee a desire by some to paint or varnish the exposed surface for looks (say white paint to match their scope). If the surface does not accept paint very well a heads up before hand would save some grief.

We haven't experimented with painting them Ron. Personally I kind of like the natural finish, and we didn't want the product to be unnecessarily expensive due to us having to prime/sand/prime/sand/prime/sand/paint, when it simply wasn't necessary for the performance of the product. So we didn't go down that road. But if you were trying to get the HALO to "match" your Dob base, I suspect that it would be pretty difficult to get a smooth finish similar to the laminate used on Dob bases. The sides of the HALOs have a semi-rough finish that kind of feels slightly "fuzzy" to the touch (its just the way the cross section of the material machines, even with a brand new sharp bit). You might be able to get it perfectly smooth with several coats of shellac or polyurethane, with sanding between each coat. But I doubt many people would want to do that to their HALO and risk getting the paint/sealer on the setting circle, compass, or leveling feet. In any case, if someone did want to paint their HALO, they would need to use an oil-based paint because Extira REALLY doesn't like water (which is a good thing!!) and a water-based paint or varnish probably wouldn't stick.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5490564 - 10/26/12 05:10 PM

Quote:

Well I got my XT10 ground boards back from Optismart along with the first HALO Setting Circle/Leveling Base they produced for the Orion XT10 and I must say this HALO unit is a precision piece of equipment that greatly enhances my viewing pleasure. I can track satellites, find obscure celestial objects and it looks great sitting there under my XT10 too. Excellent job Dave and thank you for allowing me to participate in the design phase of Orion XT10 HALO development. The crew at Optismart is very customer satisfaction oriented and a pleasure to do business with.

Thanks PhaedrusUpshaw!!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

PhaedrusUpshaw

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: Southwestern Indiana
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5491033 - 10/26/12 11:28 PM

http://thephotolaboratory.shutterfly.com/818
http://thephotolaboratory.shutterfly.com/815
http://thephotolaboratory.shutterfly.com/819

Ah, Dave that is an old screen name, actually it is my second life avatar's name. And of course this post wouldn't be complete without a few photographs of the newest acquisition to my rapidly growing arsenal.
Clear skies,
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw (10/27/12 12:46 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5493327 - 10/28/12 04:25 PM

Bad news. Went down to check the scope on the concrete. The base extends about 2" beyond the concrete. So the Halo would be sitting outside of the concrete on the floor, which would not be acceptable.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5493346 - 10/28/12 04:41 PM

Post deleted by Gastrol

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5493393 - 10/28/12 05:16 PM

I would like to see a replacement ground board setup... bolt it on in place of the original.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5493400 - 10/28/12 05:21 PM

There's less than 3/4" space between the floor & the base.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: PhaedrusUpshaw]
      #5494460 - 10/29/12 11:18 AM

Quote:

http://thephotolaboratory.shutterfly.com/818
http://thephotolaboratory.shutterfly.com/815
http://thephotolaboratory.shutterfly.com/819

Ah, Dave that is an old screen name, actually it is my second life avatar's name. And of course this post wouldn't be complete without a few photographs of the newest acquisition to my rapidly growing arsenal.
Clear skies,
Bill

Thanks for posting photos Bill! Looks like your XT10 and the HALO are going to be very happy together.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5494520 - 10/29/12 11:59 AM

Quote:

Bad news. Went down to check the scope on the concrete. The base extends about 2" beyond the concrete. So the Halo would be sitting outside of the concrete on the floor, which would not be acceptable.

Oh well, thanks for checking Carol! I would be honored for you to use a HALO in your observatory simply because your mega-thread has inspired so many members to embrace setting circles. But honestly it just doesn't sound like you really need the HALO. One of the HALO's greatest benefits is its ease of on-site setup with the integrated bubble level, compass, and leveling feet. Because it is so portable, you can easily and quickly set up just about anywhere and have accurate object location. It's also nice that the HALO is separate from the Dob base and doesn't permanently add any weight or width to the base, so it doesn't make your Dob base any more difficult to pick up, to get through doorways, or to fit in your car. But obviously none of those benefits would matter in your particular permanent installation. Your Dob is probably already level, and you can just point it north one time and never have to touch it again. So it sounds like a basic setting circle is all you really need.

But thanks anyway Carol for your support and your enthusiasm for the HALO!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Mary B]
      #5494553 - 10/29/12 12:15 PM

Quote:

I would like to see a replacement ground board setup... bolt it on in place of the original.

Thanks for the suggestion Mary! But just to clarify, are you saying that you just want to "see" a groundboard-replacement-style HALO, or that you actually want to BUY one? After years in business I've learned the hard way (as I'm sure you have) that casual statements of interest on a forum don't always translate into actual orders, so we have to be careful about jumping on a given product/feature based on a comment or two.

Seriously though, we may consider a full groundboard-replacment-style HALO if the demand appears to be strong enough. The main reason we didn't offer them that way to start with is that a HALO made that way would obviously add roughly 3" of width to the Dob base, making the base harder to move/transport, not to mention heavier. Now we could use Birch Baltic plywood with several coats of polyurethane, which should allow us to keep the weight down, but because of the cost of material and finishing it would have to be more expensive than the standalone HALO. So I'm not sure how popular that would be...

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5494601 - 10/29/12 12:49 PM

Although I also suggested a replaceable ground board, I agree with David here in that they will be large and rather expensive to manufacture due to the materials. This would be more of a DIY project more than anything else. I'm currently building a complete new birch base for my Lightbridge with a smaller diameter Halo style ground board using two sheets of 1/2" birch ply laminated together for 1" thick ground board.
I can understand how expensive these things can get as just for parts for 3/8" thread leveling feet alone will cost me about $40. But this sure beats getting down on your hands and knees trying to shim the base to bring to level every time you set up.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
      #5494966 - 10/29/12 04:51 PM

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/phenolic-coated-plywood.html

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5495013 - 10/29/12 05:19 PM

Quote:

Oh well, thanks for checking Carol! I would be honored for you to use a HALO in your observatory simply because your mega-thread has inspired so many members to embrace setting circles.

David, thank you! I haven't given up; still tossing some ideas around; as I would love to have a Halo residing in my observatory.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5495056 - 10/29/12 05:41 PM

As long as the feet stay in the same spot to fit my transporter I would be very interested. I roll my dob out to use it on this

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5495058 - 10/29/12 05:43 PM

Quote:

Although I also suggested a replaceable ground board, I agree with David here in that they will be large and rather expensive to manufacture due to the materials. This would be more of a DIY project more than anything else. I'm currently building a complete new birch base for my Lightbridge with a smaller diameter Halo style ground board using two sheets of 1/2" birch ply laminated together for 1" thick ground board.
I can understand how expensive these things can get as just for parts for 3/8" thread leveling feet alone will cost me about $40. But this sure beats getting down on your hands and knees trying to shim the base to bring to level every time you set up.

Yeah once you start trying to build something similar to the HALO, the costs do add up.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5495062 - 10/29/12 05:46 PM

Quote:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/phenolic-coated-plywood.html

Thanks for the link Ron!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5495063 - 10/29/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh well, thanks for checking Carol! I would be honored for you to use a HALO in your observatory simply because your mega-thread has inspired so many members to embrace setting circles.

David, thank you! I haven't given up; still tossing some ideas around; as I would love to have a Halo residing in my observatory.

Well, just let me know if you come up with a workable idea.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Mary B]
      #5495087 - 10/29/12 06:06 PM

Quote:

As long as the feet stay in the same spot to fit my transporter I would be very interested.

Mary, could you possibly lay your Dob base over on its side and take a picture of exactly how its feet fit in the transporter? And once you get outside, do you take your Dob base off the transporter for observing?

In any case, if we did make a replacement-groundboard-style HALO, it would have leveling feet similar to the standard HALO, and those leveling feet would be outboard of your upper round baseboard (similar to the standard HALO). And it wouldn't have rubber feet at all. Now it MIGHT fit your transporter anyway, but I'd need to get some measurements to be sure.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13114

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics