Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Mary B]
      #5545500 - 11/29/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

Okay how about this for those of us who like to tinker. Make an option without the center cut out so we can adapt it to our current scope as a new ground board. Think on my Z10 all it would need is the insert for the center tension bolt. Less to carry when setting up.

I think transferring azimuth bearing hardware to the new ground board should be pretty straight forward. At least these makes of scopes (Apetura, Lightbridge, Zhumell) I believe all share the same bearing hardware.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5546182 - 11/29/12 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Okay how about this for those of us who like to tinker. Make an option without the center cut out so we can adapt it to our current scope as a new ground board. Think on my Z10 all it would need is the insert for the center tension bolt. Less to carry when setting up.

I think transferring azimuth bearing hardware to the new ground board should be pretty straight forward. At least these makes of scopes (Apetura, Lightbridge, Zhumell) I believe all share the same bearing hardware.

If you're referring to them using a "Lay-Susan" bearing, then you can add the Sky-Watcher 12" as well, and likely the 16", though I don't know if the 16" is available in the US. I can't speak to the 8" or 10" though.

Edited by mayidunk (11/29/12 08:25 PM)

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5547180 - 11/30/12 01:03 PM

Yes, the Lazy Susan needle bearing assembly with its associated center bolt assembly. The stock assembly works pretty well as is but I modified mine slightly with a thicker 3/8" center bolt, ground board insert, and a collared bronze sleeve.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5547358 - 11/30/12 03:00 PM

Quote:

Looking at the HALO product on their website, it should be easy to do Mary. There appears to be enough of a flange that a little double-sided foam tape and short (1.5") deck screws should turn them into a one piece groundboard nicely.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5555276 - 12/05/12 08:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looking at the HALO product on their website, it should be easy to do Mary. There appears to be enough of a flange that a little double-sided foam tape and short (1.5") deck screws should turn them into a one piece groundboard nicely.

True, you can certainly attach the HALO to your groundboard as simpleisbetter describes if you don't want to carry the HALO separately. But 1.5" screws would actually punch through the upper surface of the groundboard, because the lip on the HALO is .5" thick and the groundboard is .75" thick. So it would be better to use 1" screws, or 1.25" at the MAX. If you use 1.25" screws, it's possible that the sharp tip of the screws might just slightly pierce the upper surface of the groundboard, so with 1.25" screws I would recommend putting a washer under the head of each screw to prevent that.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5555633 - 12/05/12 12:53 PM

You should pre drill the holes too.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5555640 - 12/05/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Definitely!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5555677 - 12/05/12 01:24 PM

Quote:

Those anchor points should also be located very close to each leveling feet to keep those areas as rigid as possible to prevent possible splaying of the feet and part of the Halo, as they will be bearing at least the weight of the base permanently.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5556060 - 12/05/12 05:41 PM

Quote:

Those anchor points should also be located very close to each leveling feet to keep those areas as rigid as possible to prevent possible splaying of the feet and part of the Halo, as they will be bearing at least the weight of the base permanently.

I honestly don't think that splaying of the feet, or sagging of the unsupported spans would be a problem over the long term with the current HALO design. The 1.25" thick Extira material is pretty darn stiff.

But what I think isn't really what matters. What customers (and potential customers) think is what matters, and clearly there is some concern about the strength/stiffness of the current HALO design.

So I'm considering altering the design to make it even stronger than it already is. The change would add 2-3 pounds per HALO, and the price would increase slightly (shouldn't be more than 10-15 bucks) but it would make the HALO MUCH stronger and stiffer. But before we commit to this new design, I figure we might as well throw it out here and get some good feedback.

This new design would have a 1" wide support lip around the inside perimeter (current design has .75" wide support lip) plus connecting "spokes" that would add a lot of strength to the overall ring, and especially to the unsupported spans between the leveling feet. Keep in mind that the current 12" HALO design has been tested to support over 400 pounds, so I suspect that this spoked version would easily handle another couple hundred pounds (just in case anyone out there has a 600 pound 12" Dob. )

So what do you all think? Would anyone have any lingering doubts about the strength of the HALO with this design? Would anyone balk at the extra 2-3 pounds? Would anyone balk at another few bucks if they were more comfortable with the strength of the HALO?

I'm all ears!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5556117 - 12/05/12 06:16 PM

And if anyone thinks that there STILL isn't enough "meat" there, we could do this:

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #5556356 - 12/05/12 08:23 PM

This one interests me the most. Heck just have the 3 or 6 small feet holes and a center hole. I'd like the shelf thickness to be 3/4" too.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5556387 - 12/05/12 08:38 PM

Last version, I will figure out a way to put it on wheels so weight doesn't matter. be easy enough to widen my dob carrier.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5556705 - 12/06/12 12:13 AM

Am I mistaken or would this design also be a fit for some odd sized ground boards.

Eric

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5557088 - 12/06/12 08:57 AM

Quote:

This one interests me the most. Heck just have the 3 or 6 small feet holes and a center hole. I'd like the shelf thickness to be 3/4" too.

Thanks for the feedback Steve! But why would you want the shelf to be 3/4" thick?

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5557095 - 12/06/12 08:58 AM

Quote:

Last version, I will figure out a way to put it on wheels so weight doesn't matter. be easy enough to widen my dob carrier.

Thanks Mary!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5557128 - 12/06/12 09:25 AM

Quote:

Am I mistaken or would this design also be a fit for some odd sized ground boards.

Eric

No, the fit characteristics of each HALO wouldn't change, because these proposed design changes to the underlying shelf (that the Dob base sits on) won't affect the inside diameter of the HALO "ring" that surrounds the Dob base.

You want your Dob base to be concentric with the HALO's onboard degree circle, so the inside diameter of the HALO needs to be a very close fit with the outside diameter of your Dob base. If someone's Dob base has a larger outside diameter than the inside diameter of the HALO, then it simply wouldn't fit at all. If their Dob base has a smaller outside diameter than the inside diameter of the HALO, then the Dob base wouldn't be automatically held concentric with the degree circle, unless the user manually centers their Dob base in the HALO every time (which is very difficult to "eyeball" to a high degree of accuracy), OR if they use some properly and consistently sized shims around the inside perimeter of the HALO to reduce its diameter to fit the Dob base.

In the case of triangular Orion groundboards, the triangular cutout in the HALO needs to be perfectly centered around the center-bolt hole (which they are) and the triangular cutout needs to be a very close fit with the outside dimensions of the Orion groundboard (which they are).

But thanks for asking Eric!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5557412 - 12/06/12 12:14 PM

I also like the new design with all that extra meat.

Instead of the current spoke orientation in relation to the leveling feet would it make any difference if the spokes were oriented at/against each leveling feet? It gives me a better perception of increased strength and ridgidity in those areas, especially with the larger Halos.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5557483 - 12/06/12 12:48 PM

The new design proposal is certainly interesting but to me a bit excessive; I personally don't see anything wrong with the current design and hoping to be able to try one out in the next few months. My thinking for this if David goes through the trouble of reinforcing and adding that much material to the center of the ring, then it might as well just be made as a replacement ground board, which seems like overkill, not to mention added cost. Drills and screws on the current product don't frighten me.

Edited by simpleisbetter (12/06/12 12:59 PM)

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5557543 - 12/06/12 01:23 PM

In line with the 'Dream Package' that Opticsmart offers, perhaps another idea is to offer as another option, pre-installed degree circle with cut out window on the stock base of Apetura dobs, mods similar to what many DIY'ers have been doing to their dobs.
I think degree circles should one day come standard with all mass produced dobs, IMO.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5557725 - 12/06/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

I also like the new design with all that extra meat.

Instead of the current spoke orientation in relation to the leveling feet would it make any difference if the spokes were oriented at/against each leveling feet? It gives me a better perception of increased strength and ridgidity in those areas, especially with the larger Halos.

Thanks Gastrol! But as Steve (simpleisbetter) mentions above, the added "meat" is pretty much overkill and a HALO made this would be WAY stronger and more rigid than it actually needs to be, regardless of how the spokes are arranged.

But having said that, we could go with this design, as suggested by Steve (audioaficionado) above. Again, it would be way stronger than actually necessary, but should satisfy even the most skeptical tire-kickers.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Edited by DavidOpticsmart (12/06/12 03:32 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13575

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics