Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5500918 - 11/02/12 12:57 PM

Indeed it does. This is how I setup my 8" dob. However with the Halo, this is not a factor.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
      #5506480 - 11/06/12 08:39 AM

Quote:

In fact, on second thought, instead of stocking several different pre-cut diameters perhaps you can produce say a single 36" diameter sheet with a dozen or so setting circles in successive smaller diameters printed on it. The DIY'er can then cut out whatever size needed for the project and slap it right on the groundboard.

Sorry folks, got busy over the weekend and just realized that I hadn't responded to some comments that were directed at me.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Gastrol! I'll definitely consider that solution (and price it out) and see if it makes more sense than stocking individual circles.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: rboe]
      #5506490 - 11/06/12 08:48 AM

Quote:

Getting a bit more complicated (as brain storming sessions are want to do ) but a digit setting circle with an LCD readout that could be placed where the use would like it. But nixie lights would be uber cool.

Oh yeah, those nixie tubes are sweet! And a HALO all tricked-out like that would definitely have a very cool "retro-modern" look to it! Not sure anybody would buy a HALO made that way, but it would sure make a nice conversation piece.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5506508 - 11/06/12 09:04 AM

Numbered boutique run for us snobs. You could sign it and call it your Signature Line.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5506545 - 11/06/12 09:36 AM

Quote:

Numbered boutique run for us snobs. You could sign it and call it your Signature Line.

I like your thinking! And while we're at it, we could make the HALO out of some exotic wood. Imagine a beautiful Ebony with a highly polished finish. With matching hand-carved knobs on the leveling feet.
With the DSC, nixie tube readouts, and exotic wood, you could own the first $1,000 HALO Ron!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5506575 - 11/06/12 09:52 AM

Quote:

That's why I'm still not ruling out a Halo for my 16"; as it's the same idea, only much more updated. I'm even considering having someone cut out the inner circle that holds the base, & just having the Halo encircle the base, not supporting the dob. This way it could be moved to incorporate "North", at will. This is just one of the ideas I'm considering, since I really don't need the leveling feet for the dob, when it's permanently in place, already level.

Hey Carol, if we make you a HALO without the leveling feet, you could simply attach it to your Dob base with wood screws (from the bottom) as seen in this image:

You would simply need to turn your base over, set the HALO on it, and drill through the shelf of the HALO into your Dob base with the appropriate size drill bit for the wood screws that you want to use (making sure not to drill all the way through the Dob base). 1" long, #6 woods screws would be the right choice.

In a previous post you said "There's less than 3/4" space between the floor & the base." As long as there is just a tiny bit more than 1/2" of space (like 17/32"), then your Dob's feet would still rest on your concrete slab. With this kind of setup, the HALO wouldn't be supporting your Dob base - instead your Dob base would be "wearing" the HALO like a skirt.

Now of course, this kind of installation wouldn't allow you to independently rotate the HALO on the groundboard, but I wouldn't think that would be necessary in your particular installation. You would simply set your base up one time so that it is pointed perfectly north and then you shouldn't have to mess with it anymore (if I'm understanding your setup correctly).

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #5506595 - 11/06/12 10:10 AM

David, indeed that will work!! As you mentioned, it would only be a one-time setup; no need to re-adjust it further.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Re: **NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION** - Check out the HALO! new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5506707 - 11/06/12 11:22 AM

Quote:

David, indeed that will work!! As you mentioned, it would only be a one-time setup; no need to re-adjust it further.

Cool! Now we just have to get the 16" HALO dimensioned properly. It may be awhile before we get that done, but I'll let you know as soon as we do.

Thanks Carol!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

#5515232 - 11/11/12 10:44 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Met Mr. Giles and his Halo this weekend. Hope this shot will add some scale for you folks. the font is nice and large to make for easy ready for dilated eyes in the dark.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5515732 - 11/12/12 10:31 AM

Thanks Ron, and it was great meeting you at the show!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5515967 - 11/12/12 01:00 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Thanks for the close up pics. Those really are nice big numbers! I'll be able to make those out without having to squint or get down closer.

That degree mark layout is perfect for my current new dob base project I'm working on for my Lightbridge 12.

rboeAdministrator

#5516799 - 11/12/12 09:29 PM

Ooooh, nice base! Looks like there will be conflict with the installed feet you have there. Which by themselves is a nice touch to the base.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5516926 - 11/12/12 10:26 PM

Quote:

Ooooh, nice base! Looks like there will be conflict with the installed feet you have there. Which by themselves is a nice touch to the base.

Thank you. Yes, the studs are too long now and they will be shortened by about an inch to clear the corners of the rocker box. Besides, I only need about an inch of adjustability at most. After everything checks out the base will get further sanding and will be painted white to match the scope.
The cutout to view the setting circle will be at the front of the scope.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5517818 - 11/13/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the close up pics. Those really are nice big numbers! I'll be able to make those out without having to squint or get down closer.

That degree mark layout is perfect for my current new dob base project I'm working on for my Lightbridge 12.

Beautiful woodwork there Gastrol!!

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5517920 - 11/13/12 01:11 PM

Just a few shots from our trip out to the Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo this past weekend.

Our booth on Friday night before the crowds arrived (show started Saturday morning):

Dr. Phil Plait hamming it up with the AD12 on Saturday:

Favorite Mexican food dive:

Favorite view on the Apache Trail (an incredible drive through remote canyons, much of which is on a one-lane DIRT road!):

It was a great show with very good attendance (especially considering that it was the show's FIRST year) and we look forward to attending next year!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

#5518088 - 11/13/12 02:54 PM

I spent about ten hours last New Years Day on the Apache Trail when I got a flat tire on my Moto Guzzi Quota and had to get trailered out. Not a big fan of tubed tires. But the road its' self is quite the scenic tour.

Need to find more places to eat, too many places, so little time.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5518208 - 11/13/12 04:04 PM

Yeah the Apache Trail was quite a bit more remote and primitive than I expected. I absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to go back with the wife. But I started my day off thinking I was just going to take a leisurely scenic drive with a nice lunch somewhere along the way.

WRONG!

My flight was out of Phoenix, and was scheduled to take off at 4:35pm. So I left Lunt Solar Systems in north Tucson about 9:30 yesterday morning and planned to drive to Globe Arizona, which would let me come in the "back way" and drive the Apache Trail back towards Phoenix. The entire route from Tucson to Phoenix International was 210 miles, and I had a good five and a half hours before I needed to be at the airport around 2:30, for a nice two-hour cushion before takeoff. So 5.5 hours to cover 210 miles - sounds easy, right? At a leisurely 50-mph pace it shouldn't take much more than four hours.

Well I obviously didn't do enough reading about the Apache Trail because I had NO IDEA that over 20 miles of it was a DIRT ROAD that was full of switchbacks and was one lane in many places! During that stretch it was hard to cover much more than 15 miles an hour! So as I crawled along the trail I began to get more and more worried that I was going to miss my flight, and needless to say I wasn't able to enjoy the scenery as much as I would have liked, as I became more focused on driving like I was racing in the Baja 1000.

Fortunately I did make it to the airport about an hour before my flight was supposed to take off, but by the time I got the rental car returned, rode the shuttle bus from the rental center to the terminal, checked my bag, and inched my way through security, I was cutting it VERY close, getting to the gate about the time the plane was supposed to be boarding.

Of course, wouldn't you know it, I come running up to the gate ready to jump on the plane, and it's 25 minutes late.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

rboeAdministrator

#5518218 - 11/13/12 04:12 PM

Next year we may have to arrange a Vendors Tour, before or after the show for folks that would like to explore AZ a bit while they are out here.

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

#5518249 - 11/13/12 04:32 PM

Sounds good Ron!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

tinrinnie
journeyman

Reged: 07/08/09

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
      #5528503 - 11/19/12 06:10 PM

David, you have found your niche...and I have found HALO!

After getting my Zhumell Z10 and having fun pushing around the sky, I soon realized I'd never be able to find what I wanted to find unless I learned how to read the sky. So I've patiently spent the last year completing the AL Binocular Messier list, a terrific way to learn how to star hop, right? Well, only if you're never going to use a telescope! As soon as I returned to my Z10, there I was scanning the sky again, hoping to find something I could recognize and then looking it up to make sure.

I found this thread nearly in tears , upset that I might never be able to find a DSO on purpose, spending all my days, I mean nights, stumbling upon objects. And then when I found HALO, I nearly cried again, this time from joy .

HALO is part of the answer. The other is the altitude, which I seem especially bad at. What do you think about this product, the Husky digital level? http://tinyurl.com/c69vk5q I plan to test it out over Thanksgiving.

Sooo glad to have found your product. Going to order it now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13523

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics